Looking for a tiny VSI

Subsonic - The unit you linked to has no dimensions listed - but checking the details on the Display Unit shows it is "4 inches". I'm presuming that is the width, it appears the height is not listed.

Danny - Have you considered a Radiant unit? They fit in a standard 2-1/4" instrument hole (57mm). Is there some highly important reason you need the unit smaller than 2-1/4"?

https://radiantinstruments.com/search.php?Search=&search_query=vsi

Edited by onetrack

31 minutes ago, onetrack said:

Subsonic - The unit you linked to has no dimensions listed - but checking the details on the Display Unit shows it is "4 inches". I'm presuming that is the width, it appears the height is not listed.

Danny - Have you considered a Radiant unit? They fit in a standard 2-1/4" instrument hole (57mm). Is there some highly important reason you need the unit smaller than 2-1/4"?

https://radiantinstruments.com/search.php?Search=&search_query=vsi

[quote] I don't care that much about a VSI but if there's something tiny I'll squeeze it in somewhere 😄 [/quote]

Yes radiant caught my eye early in the build but in the end it meant too many digital inputs. And they seem to have gone to ground after the tragic factory fire. So I have a mix of mechanical and digital inputs instruments. Going to check out subsonics link. Might be the go

Edited by danny_galaga

well, a freescale MPX temp comp pressure transducer maybe a MPX5050DP  and a small micro arduino and LCD would do it. . what, about 1cm tall digits ????

put it in a matchbox.

but perhaps for suitable, how about convert one of your other 2 1/4 instruments to a multi instrument like an Uavionix AV30 ?

2 hours ago, AlanB said:

How tiny?

http://www.paraoz.com.au/mini-vario.html

37mmx37mm. Has analogue and digital vsi display as well as altimeter. 

Thankyou so much! That seems perfect! When I get home I'm going to see where it can go on the instrument panel else I just wear it instead of a watch 😎

And as a bonus it also does altitude so it can be a backup for my main instrument

Edited by danny_galaga

On 21/12/2020 at 11:58 AM, skippydiesel said:

I dont work well in imperial so I assume you mean 57 mm diameter. Below is my panel. Two full size gauges and the rest small. I cant remember the dimensions off hand but if you are interested I will find out.

IMG_0823.JPG

How do you find the Avmap Ultra?  Much work to install?

2 hours ago, jackc said:

How do you find the Avmap Ultra?  Much work to install?

I found it easy to install. A bit of a pain in the a-- to align the compass. AH a little slow to respond to changes in aircraft attitude. In the scheme of things, not to costly. Useful slip ball.  Gives some interesting information but in general I can get the same information from a number of different "tools"

I purchased it to give my panel a slightly up market look , nice to have an AH in the centre, which it does quite nicely. Not sure that I would recommend one as a serious aviation tool.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, danny_galaga said:

@skippydieselI guess your VSI is calibrated in meters per second and your ASI in kilometres per hour 😄

Strange for sure - we, in Australian aviation, have this weirdly mixed metric/imperial measuring system - makes no sense at all and although we get used to it eventually, it makes for an unnecessary complication.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, skippydiesel said:

Strange for sure - we, in Australian aviation, have this weirdly mixed metric/imperial measuring system - makes no sense at all and although we get used to it eventually, it makes for an unnecessary complication.

Yeah just giving you a hard time. I'm quite the metric advocate myself. Just been so long since I even looked at my instrument panel (it's in a cupboard right now) that I couldn't think of how the sizes worked. For sure now I think of it the smaller ones are 57 and 53. They come from Spain

• 1 year later...

Well my habit of dragging my feet seems to have paid off. This looks interesting, and it includes an artificial Horizon. I haven't found out what the exact dimensions are, but since I first posted, I've noticed another spot I could put this, I think. Price is good too. Good enough fort my ultralight 🙂

• Informative 2

I read about this yesterday and it looks good. It was only a few mm in depth, 8mm from memory. Rather like the smallest Dynon on offer, but I think it was quooted as US$399, which looked like good value to me. Not as good as the Dynon, but much easier on the wallet.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lyle janke said:

hi 

this is the latest offering from radiant instruments  it might be what you are looking for https://www.radiantinstruments.com/product/flight-sensor-pack

allways pricey as everything is built by hand but quality & great company to deal with 

I am currenly in Oshkosh and saw them demonstrating this item.

I believe the $299 is USD!

US$299 is around AU$430. Most blokes wouldn't bat an eyelid at forking out that amount, to purchase a new kitchen aid, to keep the better half happy. You can't even buy a half-decent new mobile phone for that kind of money.

Edited by onetrack
  • Agree 2

Why do you need a specific VSI.? The feet hand on the altimeter does the same  job. You can't fly on anything better than an attitude for maintaining  control the easiest way.  Real or artificial. Nev

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Why do you need a specific VSI.? The feet hand on the altimeter does the same  job. You can't fly on anything better than an attitude for maintaining  control the easiest way.  Real or artificial. Nev

I've designed my panel around that thought process. I think we may have discussed this before. I virtually never even look at an asi. But I figured I might need something temporary for flight testing. What are your thoughts? 

13 minutes ago, danny_galaga said:

I've designed my panel around that thought process. I think we may have discussed this before. I virtually never even look at an asi. But I figured I might need something temporary for flight testing. What are your thoughts? 

Myself I regularly check the asi info and compare to GNs in flight and more so in turbulence.  Before joining down wind and in the circuit I reference the asi.  By this I mean I don't watch it and chase the numbers; but just a scan glance to see the numbers and adjust my target depending on the flying weight (eg solo or two up and amount of luggage and the strip condition sealed / grass or a rough unknown road or property).

I also ensure my asi is calibrated at annual inspection.

Cheers

IF you don't change POWER and ATTITUDE the Airspeed will stay constant.   This is relied on when landing when you  transfer your vision to outside the cockpit. Autopilots do have a function Vertical Speed setting which has a zero of straight and level. Both S & L and V/S  are not "safe" modes as regards airspeed security.  A power change will change things. These are the modes where power controls airspeed and the elevators don't.    Nev

I reckon the asi is real important. That and the Altimeter and the CHT's might be all you really need.

BUT a mate with a Chipmunk gave me a flight one day.... NO CHT! I said that I flew on the CHT. He said that there never had been one on this plane in 60 years.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1