Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Anything smaller than 2 1/4" around? I don't care that much about a VSI but if there's something tiny I'll squeeze it in somewhere 😄

 

Even if someone knows of a construction article for a digital one I'd have a look.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont work well in imperial so I assume you mean 57 mm diameter. Below is my panel. Two full size gauges and the rest small. I cant remember the dimensions off hand but if you are interested I will find out.

IMG_0823.JPG

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Subsonic - The unit you linked to has no dimensions listed - but checking the details on the Display Unit shows it is "4 inches". I'm presuming that is the width, it appears the height is not listed.

 

Danny - Have you considered a Radiant unit? They fit in a standard 2-1/4" instrument hole (57mm). Is there some highly important reason you need the unit smaller than 2-1/4"?

 

https://radiantinstruments.com/search.php?Search=&search_query=vsi

Edited by onetrack
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, onetrack said:

Subsonic - The unit you linked to has no dimensions listed - but checking the details on the Display Unit shows it is "4 inches". I'm presuming that is the width, it appears the height is not listed.

 

Danny - Have you considered a Radiant unit? They fit in a standard 2-1/4" instrument hole (57mm). Is there some highly important reason you need the unit smaller than 2-1/4"?

 

https://radiantinstruments.com/search.php?Search=&search_query=vsi

[quote] I don't care that much about a VSI but if there's something tiny I'll squeeze it in somewhere 😄 [/quote]

 

Yes radiant caught my eye early in the build but in the end it meant too many digital inputs. And they seem to have gone to ground after the tragic factory fire. So I have a mix of mechanical and digital inputs instruments. Going to check out subsonics link. Might be the go

Edited by danny_galaga
Link to post
Share on other sites

well, a freescale MPX temp comp pressure transducer maybe a MPX5050DP  and a small micro arduino and LCD would do it. . what, about 1cm tall digits ????

put it in a matchbox.

 

but perhaps for suitable, how about convert one of your other 2 1/4 instruments to a multi instrument like an Uavionix AV30 ?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AlanB said:

How tiny?

http://www.paraoz.com.au/mini-vario.html

37mmx37mm. Has analogue and digital vsi display as well as altimeter. 

Thankyou so much! That seems perfect! When I get home I'm going to see where it can go on the instrument panel else I just wear it instead of a watch 😎

 

And as a bonus it also does altitude so it can be a backup for my main instrument

Edited by danny_galaga
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/12/2020 at 11:58 AM, skippydiesel said:

I dont work well in imperial so I assume you mean 57 mm diameter. Below is my panel. Two full size gauges and the rest small. I cant remember the dimensions off hand but if you are interested I will find out.

IMG_0823.JPG

How do you find the Avmap Ultra?  Much work to install?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jackc said:

How do you find the Avmap Ultra?  Much work to install?

I found it easy to install. A bit of a pain in the a-- to align the compass. AH a little slow to respond to changes in aircraft attitude. In the scheme of things, not to costly. Useful slip ball.  Gives some interesting information but in general I can get the same information from a number of different "tools"

I purchased it to give my panel a slightly up market look , nice to have an AH in the centre, which it does quite nicely. Not sure that I would recommend one as a serious aviation tool.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, danny_galaga said:

@skippydieselI guess your VSI is calibrated in meters per second and your ASI in kilometres per hour 😄

 

 

Strange for sure - we, in Australian aviation, have this weirdly mixed metric/imperial measuring system - makes no sense at all and although we get used to it eventually, it makes for an unnecessary complication.

 

 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, skippydiesel said:

Strange for sure - we, in Australian aviation, have this weirdly mixed metric/imperial measuring system - makes no sense at all and although we get used to it eventually, it makes for an unnecessary complication.

 

 

Yeah just giving you a hard time. I'm quite the metric advocate myself. Just been so long since I even looked at my instrument panel (it's in a cupboard right now) that I couldn't think of how the sizes worked. For sure now I think of it the smaller ones are 57 and 53. They come from Spain

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...