Have been looking at EFIS  recently.

Would like the Forums opinion on the merits/otherwise of what is out there.

Must be able to fit (or come close) into an existing instrument hole/space.

Dynon D10 and Garmin G5  are probably the most reputable examples but am willing to hear all opinions (particularly those who actually have firsthand experience)

46 minutes ago, skippydiesel said:

Have been looking at EFIS  recently.

Would like the Forums opinion on the merits/otherwise of what is out there.

Must be able to fit (or come close) into an existing instrument hole/space.

Dynon D10 and Garmin G5  are probably the most reputable examples but am willing to hear all opinions (particularly those who actually have firsthand experience)

Are you replacing your UltraEfis?

I have a skyview touch and a skyview (non touch) both 10in versions. Absolutely love them, and depending on the type of flying you do, can drive dynon AP servos. Flight plans can be sent directly from avplan/ozrwys to the dynon. I personally dont use the touch functions all that much, but it can be on a occasion handy.

when paired with an engine sensor package, can display (and importantly, log) everything you engine and aircraft is doing at whatever interval you set. EGT/CHT fuel flow, airspeeds ias and tas, g's, etc etc. very useful for analysis after the fact.

Totally depends on the bucks you want to spend. I have been using the MGL Xtreme in my sav for 5 years..I liked it so much I bought another for it..they fit in a std 3 1/8 hole.

if you want far better accuracy then you need to get the SP 6 compass module..which works just fantastic and also the SP 7 AHRS module. The Xtremem you dont have to get them but it is sort of like the Dynon then.

The local MGL guys here know how to charge..probably be better to import from the USA now the dollar is better

The Sav rebuild I bought another Xtreme for it also a SP6 and SP7 and a RDAC as well which will allow the same instrument to be a engine monitor..its very accurate.

For the RANS S-21 I have the MGL Explorer 8.5 inch with the Ibox as it will have a dual axis autopilot. I have all the bits for the total install inc the new V16 radio...that works really well too. Its a new type of internal digital design..it has a playback function so if you miss a call just press the button and it will replay it for you..it is also capable of doing 10 watts and has a SWR meter built in so if you have any coax or antenna issues it will bring up a flag

I believe with the Xtreme and the latest software you can fit servos for autopilot for it as well but not going to spend another 2k for 2 sevos for the Sav

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Informative 1

22 hours ago, M61A1 said:

I can only offer experience with the Skyview Classic, and it's terrific, but costs more than my whole aircraft.

I have an fitted in mine and I like it.

How long have you had the UltraEfis ? - any niggling problems? good points? bad points?

Don't know what happened above?? Tried to remove the faux pa but no deal.

Thanks Guy's all good suggestions, that I will follow up on. 

I am happy/comfortable with steam gauges for engine management, so am primarily looking for additional navigation, situational awareness & redundancy,  (with a little voice suggesting 2-3 axis  autopilot capability for the future might be a good idea.)

26 minutes ago, skippydiesel said:

How long have you had the UltraEfis ? - any niggling problems? good points? bad points?

Had it about 2 years. It does what it's supposed to do. It's a bit small, but that was also the point of buying one. My only real criticism is that it could be a bit brighter, but I could probably fix that with a little sunshade. I use the HSI screen a lot.

I have not owned any of them but would consider MGL because I have used their other offerings. Dynon are OK and I have used one once complete with auto pilot.

The Garmin appear to do as much as Dynon and have a very good name with GA pilots, but I fear that you will be paying for the multi full page advertisements in all the papers and magazines. Plus if you go the Garmin road, I think you will find it harder to install tourself, rather than use their high priced dealers.

I’m learning towards the MGL extreme as it will fit my panel into a top row 3 1/8” hole. Then will decide if I remove the alt or vsi  Leaning to remove vsi and place alt where it is. Still 6 months away from this upgrade.  Also like MGL 3 year warranty.

Edited by Blueadventures
  • Like 1