Rotax and the 22,000uF smoothing capacitor

9 hours ago, aro said:

How likely is that to be a real problem? I have never heard of it in practice.

That switch needs to be rated to open a 20A+ DC circuit - is the capacitor going to draw enough energy to damage the switch when it closes?

@ARO, I was looking around on the net for somdthing that might be a good treatment on switches- 

here is a useful article you might get something from : 

http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/Switch_Ratings.pdf

remember- he is talking toggle switches- not relays. Relays do not have the same mechanical advantage as a toggle switch to open a stuck contact. 

Edited by RFguy

it depends if you have the capacitor or not.

and a hard and fast answer is hard because the wiring for different rotax installs varies. not sure how much there is common. If the charging system is taken to the battery direct and the master bus is taken from the battery, direct (via contactors, fuses etc) there should be little noise. The more the system departs from direct conections, the more tha capacitor is required becausethe master bus begins to see the ripple currents that are common between battery connections.

The cap is there to absorb the spikes and crap coming from the reg. The rotax engine manual actually states that it an "optional component". It appears its main function to Rotax is noise filtering not so much ripple filtering

Glenn is correct it does depend a lot on how the wiring is setup. Everyone has a different idea about how it should be done. It depends on how you look at it..the perspective I mean. What Glenn and I would do is not necessarily the same as stated in the manuals. We look at it more from a electronics point of view and protecting those expensive bits of silicon

For example every single power supply requires both ripple filtering for the rectifier and also noise filtering for interference and also there needs to be voltage spike protection.

Powersupplies most often have a zener diode across the output. For example a DC supply that is used for say your base station aviation radio may have a zener diode across the output. That is to put a direct short on that output if the reg craps itself and puts more than 13.8V on the output. The 15 or 16V or even 18v zenner will conduct and cause a massive current to flow that then blows either a DC or the AC fuse in the supply. This should protect the equipment attached to the supply.

This is no different to the DC being generated in your aircraft. There needs to be ripple conditioning for the actual DC coming out of the reg then there should be some sort of over voltage protection which there is not in any Rotax install that I have seen and most installs have a fuse somewhere that blows when your radio or EFIS becomes the zener diode

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1