Theory of Flight that's Australian and Online

It's an interesting fact that during WW2, and well into the 1960's, both the U.S. military, and Caterpillar, used "comic-book" style training booklets, with colourful picture images, to assist in troop training, and in plant operator training.

It was proven that these comic-book style booklets improved students learning rapidly, particularly where large classes were being taught, and where it was impossible to target individual students who needed learning assistance.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, onetrack said:

It was proven that these comic-book style booklets improved students learning rapidly

Simple application of the process whereby animals gain information. Homo sapiens is the only animal that has been able to take noise making for communication beyond a very basic aid to survival. However, we gain more information about our environment through our eyes, and to a lesser extent smell, touch and hearing. And then there's the old adage, a picture is worth a thousand words. 

Just like soldiers know when to wheel on the parade ground, when the marker issues the order to wheel. I reckon the flanking marker bird or fish probably makes the call. :classic_cool:

Edited by onetrack

38 minutes ago, facthunter said:

How does a flock of birds or a school of fish know how to turn as if they are ONE entity?

Buggered if I know, but I'm not interested enough to research it.

However can you give examples of birds, bats and butterflies using sound to discuss the intricacies of how they are able to fly? 

• 5 weeks later...
On 09/01/2021 at 12:08 PM, facthunter said:

How does a flock of birds or a school of fish know how to turn as if they are ONE entity

I did do some research later on and posted my results here

https://www.socialaustralia.com.au/topic/1369-theres-a-murmuration-in-the-air/?tab=comments#comment-48121

Somehow birds do teach later generations how to avoid dangerous places.

The comic book teaching was used by Stitts in their handbook on covering planes.

OME talking about relative airflow could be long winded.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yenn said:

Somehow birds do teach later generations how to avoid dangerous places.

I think all animals are able to pass on to their offspring a knowledge of the dangers of their environments. It is presumptuous of Man to think than no other animals can reason to some degree.

Some examples of man are very deficient in the reasoning department. A lot wouldn't last long in the JUNGLE where if you don't keep your wits about you, you get eaten quickly. . Birds aren't that bright. A big brain needs a lot of food to keep it going .That extra mass means it can't fly long distances. Nev

Birds aren't that bright.....

Nev, I've got a bunch of local crows who could prove you wrong on that point, on a regular basis. They might have small brains physically, but they lack nothing when it comes to figuring things out. And I sure wouldn't mind having their eyesight.

As far as Birds go this place here is like Jurassic Park.  I'll stick to my thesis. Some birds are too stupid to get away from My wifes zero turn Mower. The foxes make mayhem with them. Most other birds don't like crows.  I think they pinch their eggs.. Nev

I reckon birds and fish have a faster reaction time than we do...  and the message has less distance to go. I sure agree it looks like they have one mind though.

The one thing I am sure of is that this could not be proof of ESP or suchlike.

A few years ago, Dick Smith put up a big cash prize for any psychic act. No takers!

The terrible thing is that Dick was criticized by "believers".

• 3 months later...

The AP 3456A,  Manual of Flying, Royal Air Force, is what I think, the best book on Aerodynamics written for pilots as such. In fact it’s a whole series on flying, A through to K, dealing with engines, avionics, all aviation aspects. They are amazingly, available online. I know I should paste in a link, but haven’t got one at my fingertips as such. But a search should do it.

On 09/02/2021 at 8:47 AM, Bruce Tuncks said:

I reckon birds and fish have a faster reaction time than we do...  and the message has less distance to go. I sure agree it looks like they have one mind though.

The one thing I am sure of is that this could not be proof of ESP or suchlike.

A few years ago, Dick Smith put up a big cash prize for any psychic act. No takers!

The terrible thing is that Dick was criticized by "believers".

I think he's still got $100K to anybody who can prove UFO's are from outer space. The latest rubbish on the news doesn't say anything, as there's nothing to say.

I have little doubt UFO's exist and many have been sighted by reputable people, including numerous friends and even a number of my employees. Trying to prove they come from "outer space" is impossible, so Dicks money is pretty safe.

They engender terror in many people, thus the often garbled reports which are the result of the state of terror the viewers are in. But where the viewers have kept their cool and have provided valid reports, there is a definite theme to UFO's.

Disappearing at great speed is one of them. Being seen only at night or at dusk is common. But a number have been seen in broad daylight, and clearly.

I know an associate who sighted a sizeable one sitting in a paddock in broad daylight, around 4:00PM. This bloke doesn't drink, and is unfazed by anything.

He parked his ute and walked towards the UFO to examine it, and it promptly took off, straight up, at a great rate of knots, leaving him quite amazed. It was bright, clear sunny day.

A similar event happened to this farm manager in 1967, and the UFO actually approached his Landrover and landed so close, he was struggling to open the Landrover door properly. But when he spoke, his voice echoed back at him.

When he did attempt to get out of the Landrover, the UFO sped off at a startling rate. The farm manager was obviously a person similar to my associate, a no-nonsense, practical person who wasn't easily fazed.

However, his UFO experience did obviously leave him rattled. Like my associate, the farm manager rarely spoke of the sighting again, they both obviously believed they had sighted something that cannot be explained within our practical, worldly experiences.

https://ufos-scientificresearch.blogspot.com/2012/09/cold-case-investigation-yerecoin-wa-15.html

Edited by onetrack

Before quad-copters and drones became well known and widely available to the public, the military was playing about with them, as far back as the fifties. Being able to hover, dart about and move around like nothing known was what made them so special. Flying saucers and men from Mars was a popular theme and as far as the military was concerned, a good thing. They didn't want folks knowing that these 'UFOs' were actually military research vehicles. There has been no evidence in any shape or form that we have been visited by anything made by aliens. I have been on a few military trials which generated ridiculous stories in the press of UFO activity. Any plane that wanders into controlled airspace and is not identified is a UFO. My brother (retired ATC) has seen many, many 'UFOs'. Some folks believe the earth is flat, some think it's only 5000 years old. Others believe aliens walk amongst us. Each to their own I say. But to believe blindly because you 'want it to be true' is just plain silly. And why is it in a time when high resolution cameras have been around for years we still cannot get a good, clear, believable picture of a UFO?