Bug in OzRunwasy (But it is still my favourite software!)

303 degrees seems a bit wrong to me.

The starting heading would be something less than 270 deg. and it would change as the flight progressed, I doubt that it would reach 303 deg even for the last leg.

• Agree 1
  • Helpful 1

51 minutes ago, Yenn said:

The starting heading would be something less than 270 deg. and it would change as the flight progressed, I doubt that it would reach 303 deg even for the last leg.

That is a good observation. The quoted heading is for the rhumb line between the two points, and it certainly looks a lot less that 303°

5 hours ago, APenNameAndThatA said:

That is a good observation. The quoted heading is for the rhumb line between the two points, and it certainly looks a lot less that 303°

6 hours ago, Yenn said:

I forgot. The bearing in the rocket box is magnetic. The OzR people promptly replied to an email I sent, and pointed that out to me. It changes with magnetic variation. So, even the rhumb line would be wavy if it was represented literally instread of symbolically!!!

• Informative 1

I would hopeif you were planing that flight (at least for the over water sections) you will be using a NAV system somewhat better than an iPad with OzRunways.........

So what is the greatest magnetic variation on the trip? It would have to be greater than 60 degrees. I think Oz Runways are trying to pull the wool over your eyes. It is what they call a red herring.

17 hours ago, Yenn said:

So what is the greatest magnetic variation on the trip? It would have to be greater than 60 degrees. I think Oz Runways are trying to pull the wool over your eyes. It is what they call a red herring.

Magnetic variation is 30 degrees west for a fair bit of the trip. So, say, they took magnetic variation from halfway along the route, 303° would be correct.