LSA's have a MTOW of 600 kg. My plane flys badly if that weight is exceeded. Can a "virtual weight" be calculated from deviation from standard atmosphere?

1 hour ago, APenNameAndThatA said:

That is counter intuitive ... I’m confused. 

There is an explanation, but I'd like to mull it over before expressing my opinion.

However, consider this. As you are flying along straight and level for a long time, why do you have to adjust the pitch trim of the aircraft? 

Facthunter said, "You don't increase lift to climb except a tiny bit to initiate it. Lift stays close to weight unless you have lots of power. 

What actions, and in what sequence, do you carry out to initiate a climb from straight and level?

27 minutes ago, Bosi72 said:

This is what happens when taking off close to mtow at high density altitude..

https://youtu.be/OVM3RRd1vf0

MG!!!! what was the pilot thinking ? He must have known, erly on, that his aircraft was not climbing out of ground effect , while he still had all that time/runway to abort on.

No apologies for posting this as a copy from elsewhere, but it puts things in a nutshell, but I did add some stuff myself.

Climbing Flight

For an automobile to go uphill at the same speed that was being maintained on a level road, the driver must "step on the gas;" that is, power must be increased. This is because it takes more work to pull the car's weight up the hill and to maintain the same speed at which the car was moving along the level road. If the driver did not increase the power, the automobile might still climb up the incline, but it would gradually slow down to a speed slower than that at which it was moving on the level road.  Similarly, an airplane can climb at the cruise power setting with a sacrifice of speed, or it can, within certain limits, climb with added power and no sacrifice in speed. Thus, there is a definite relationship between power, attitude, and airspeed.

We all know that for straight and level flight, Lift must equal Weight. The sum of the vectors of Force of Lift and Weight are equal, so that the aircraft does not go up or down, and the vector of Thrust is greater than the vector of Drag in order for the aircraft to move forward. For the sake of discussion, let's say that the magnitude of the vector of Drag in level flight is 10% of the available thrust. Right or wrong in practice, 10% is OK for illustration purposes.

Four major forces act on an airplane in level flight | Aviation mechanic,  Acting, Mechanic

However, when an aircraft moves into climb (or descent) the vector of  Lift moves away from the vertical, so that, in comparison with the magnitude of is vertical component in level flight, the vertical component is less. Due to the offset of the Lift vector from the vertical, there is a force created which is parallel to the Thrust/Drag vector line (Green line).  This is called "Induced Drag". In essence, the magnitude of the Force opposing the Thrust Force increases.

image.thumb.png.cc5e13424aeb3b4ce55416bdd588f918.png

Since drag is acting in a direction opposite to the airplane's flightpath during a climb, it is necessary for thrust to overcome both drag and gravity. The primary factor which affects an airplane's ability to climb is the amount of excess power available; that is, the power available above that which is required for straight and level flight.

When transitioning from level flight to a climb, the forces acting on the airplane go through definite changes.

image.png.002f5bcf01e162fcc7110490a0cc8dae.png

The first change, an increase in lift, occurs when back pressure is applied to the elevator control. This initial change is a result of the increase in the angle of attack which occurs when the airplane's pitch attitude is being raised. This results in a climbing attitude. When the inclined flightpath and the climb speed are established, the angle of attack and the corresponding lift again stabilize at approximately the original value with respect to the direction of flight through the air. At this stage, the wing doesn't care what its relationship is to Up and Down as defined by gravity. All the wing knows it that air is moving over it at its "straight and level" angle of attack. It's a relativity thing.

image.png