Kuntzleman Red LED tail beacon fault

Glen - The last review, and the last answer to the last question, below, are quite revealing. The manufacturer indicates the unit must be sent back to the factory for repair. This indicates it is repairable.

I've never had any luck in removing potting mix, the epoxy is usually designed to never be removed. Maybe Kuntzleman has some special solvent to dissolve it.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/kuntzsc103.php

- Ron.

Edited by onetrack

Hi Ron, thanks for the reply.

I got a reply back from the mfr- it is not repairable - potted .

Dick Kuntzelman did offer some retrofits , not in the catalog. We'll see how we go with getting the potting off the bottom, it has  such a nice fresnel lens...

-glen

• Like 1

There are only two ways to soften epoxy potting mix, that I've found. One is SCA Throttle Body & Carby cleaner. This is a mix of Acetone and Methanol. The problem is, it liquifies most plastics, and all paints.

Number Two is a heat gun. Probably a better option. Use a pointed tip if you have a gun with a choice of tips. Good heat guns have a range of changeable tips.

Thanks One Track, I will get some and try that.

I am not worried about the driving electronics just have to preserve the lens and leds.

acetone and methanol is what I want to soak my head combustion chambers in also, isnt it to soften the gunk ?

There are proprietary solvents for the job. I've not had much success otherwise when I tried to get the carbon out of 2 stroke piston grooves . IF it works it, will contain stuff you would have to take great care with . Scraping does damage. Nev

• 5 months later...

I've replaced my Jabiru beacon light with one from the same company that made the original. Cost $205usd delivered and fits straight in the Jab mount. It sits about an inch higher than the original due to a heat sink which (the company advises) will prevent them dying early like their predecessor. Works great.

https://kestrobes.com/product-category/red-led-aircraft-beacon/