OK - Give us your 2 bobs worth

BirdDog

The concept is the same as the FAA allowing Boeing to certify itself which didn't end well. The 2 scenarios are vastly different in complexity and legallity. I wonder though how much oversight and evidence is required by RAA or does it just accept what a manufacturer says.

The aircraft doesn't have to only be a VH experimental. As long as you get an Engineering Order from an authorised aviation engineer, you can do whatever you want to do. A change might require a new W&B determination if the change in weight is substantial (over 5kg, I think).

Civil Aviation Order 100.7 Instrument 2015

6.3        Unless otherwise agreed to by CASA, the load data sheet for an aircraft must be renewed before further flight whenever, as the result of a modification or as otherwise shown in the record of weight alterations, changes exceeding the following have occurred:

(a)   for aeroplanes:

(i)  the empty weight has changed by more than 0.5% of the MTOW or 10 kg, whichever is the greater; or

(ii)  the empty weight CG has changed by more than 2% of the maximum permissible centre of gravity range or 5 mm, whichever is the greater; 

BUT:

1          Application

This Order does not apply to the following:

(a)   a balloon;

(b)   an airship;

(c)   an aircraft that:

(i)  is registered by a sport aviation body; and

(ii)  has been weighed in accordance with the sport aviation body’s procedures, as the procedures have been accepted or approved by CASA at the time the aircraft is weighed.

Is RAAus  sport aviation body?