Don't be a dickhead

More people die in air crashes because the pilot is being a show-off dickhead. We all know the scenario - buzzing a group on the ground, pulling up and into a stall/spin. But what happens is that the dickhead does what is done and comes to no personal harm. But what about the aircraft, and what about the costs to the owner or the person who flies it a few hours down the track?

This is the story of the effects of a dickhead's action on the proud owner of a plane for hire. It would certainly give an owner fears of renting their aircraft.

1 hour ago, New2flying said:

Such raw emotion in this video.

Wouldn't you be emotional if you found out some dickhead had possibly damaged your aircraft to the extent that you had to pay for a thorough airframe inspection, all the while hoping that it would pass?

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, kgwilson said:

I am the only person who has ever flown my aircraft from the first test flight. That is the way it will stay unless I sell it. End of story.

I think that the incident in the video would be cause for concern amongst the majority of us who have to use hired aircraft for all the reasons that stop us fulfilling the dream to own our own aircraft.

• Like 1

Such irresponsible people should be kept away  from anything of value.. The object can become very second hand quickly. Hangar rash is nearly as bad. Be careful who you share a hangar with. Report every heavy landing.. Lend very little, save angst and money and keep your friends.. I didn't know it was a 2 stroke.  Nev

I remember a young pilot being "Excused" from pilots course and the ADF in general when it was discovered he could not "safely control the speed of his motorcycle". I believe words along the lines of "If we cant trust you to ride a motorbike unsupervised how can we trust you to fly an aircraft?"

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, the "unauthorised aerobatics" saga is still with us, and probably always will.  Pilots are by nature risk-takers, and if you consider the widespread attitude that  éndorsements' and ínstructors' are simply a way to extract money out of needy pilots - it's no surprise that some pilots will follow the DYO course of learning the aerodynamic facts of life. 

And, you can add flying the aircraft beyond Va in turbulence to the list of dumb things that renting pilots can do.  If you are unaware of what this does, then dwell on the fact that every one of the C210s that have broken up in flight were high hours of low level flight, and/or, flown too fast in the vicinity of TS.  If pilots don't understand the fact that Va is usually much less than Vno, and higher than the commercially accepted Vb, then they have not been taught these lifesaving operational requirements.   The times that pilots have responded, (during a BFR), that '' top of the green is safe as"  you'd be astounded at.  In one test in an RV, we were near on 50kts above Va during descent on a warm summer day.  Reduce power?  "Hell no, why do you think I own a fast aircraft?" 

The other pet gripe of mine is in respect of non-reporting of heavy landings. Mate of mine had his SuperCub badly damaged by an instructor giving a tailwheel endo in it. Flying school denied any liability, saying  óur instructors are so good that they would never, ever lose control of a tailwheel'  He took his Cub back, and never cross-hired it again. That was good enough for me, so I was ready when the same school came knocking on the door to ask if they could hire my C170 for school use.  Turns out their 6 instructors would have been lucky to total 50 hrs tailwheel time between them - hardly enough for one instructor to be allowed out to instruct t/w endos. Moral: don't hire out your lovely t/w for flight school use.   What constitutes a 'heavy' landing is of course open to very wide interpretation, but these days, the chip in your EFIS/EMS is measuring G forces in flight and can be investigated. Just because it's not showing on a page doesn't mean it's not there - the smart owner will have decluttered it off the default pages at least. Others have connected an instrument measuring both G and flight time, with it located under an inspection panel in the floor.  Catches the cheats every time!  

happy days,

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1

Over stressed planes don't HEAL themselves. They are actually damaged and unairworthy till an appropriate inspection and rectification is carried out. A lot of planes wouldn't have a proper procedure  for it either..Nev

15 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Over stressed planes don't HEAL themselves. They are actually damaged and unairworthy till an appropriate inspection and rectification is carried out. A lot of planes wouldn't have a proper procedure  for it either..Nev

Same applies to over temps and exceeding RPM redlines in hire aircraft!!! 

• Winner 1