Hornet STOL with Aeromomentum AM15 147HP

• 4 months later...

Looking good Kyle.  The structure of that wing brings back memories, very similar to the 701.  Bending the leading edge over with a strip of timber clamped to it and ratchet straps to tighten it down is the same process too.

I too enjoyed watching that project. I had a tiny role in the building of another Hornet at the Taree factory (they allowed me to pull one rivet) and was impressed by the happy, unhurried workers doing a meticulous job. The fuselage is built as solid as a landcruiser. 

Fitting a wing skin is a fairly similar process for most home builds. Mine was a little different as the wing was tapered so the process was to bend 1 inch wide strips to fit around root & tip ribs then pre-bend the D-box with a wing length piece of 4 x 2 timber till it matched the 2 strip profiles at each end & finally use the ratchets as per the process here. Works really well.

Great job by the way.

14 hours ago, Kyle Gardner said:

Thanks Marty.  How is your machine coming along, what stage are you up to?

Working on the cowl at the moment - https://www.recreationalflying.com/topic/28196-marty-ds-ch-701-build-log/?do=findComment&comment=508749&_rid=2988

Both the top and bottom are of carbon fibre, but I used gel coat on the top and didn't use a proper PVA release so I need to do that again.  The bottom came out well though.

• Informative 1