Safety wire. Where do you guys buy it from?

Can't comment on brand.
You may want to take advice from others here on appropriate gauge etc. In fact, I'd like to know myself:

I originally was loaned wire and lockwire pliers from a motorcycling mate. I don't know what the gauge of his wire was, but it seemed to me a bit light.

So when I bought my own wire and pliers I got a heavier gauge, which is quite thick: the container says .032" diameter, which I see is 20 gauge.

Mine also says SST 302/304 (it can't be both?) ANN (annealed?) ASTM-A-580 which is the spec.

I'd have to say it doesn't seem to me to be overly strong. Or perhaps it's severely weakened when overtwisted, which I have learned to try and avoid.

Later: just looked at Aircraft Spruce, and this is the stuff I have, so looks like I'm at least in the ballpark:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/safetywire.php?clickkey=4386

Edited by IBob

9 hours ago, Blueadventures said:

0.040 is the size for any turnbuckles in a control system.

I have worked at a maintenance org, cessna piper airtractor etc, for a couple of years now and have never seen 0.040 used on a control turnbuckle. If however the manufacturer calls for 0.040 then that should be used. It would be a struggle to get 0.040 on to some of the more inaccessible turnbuckles🤔 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, danny_galaga said:

All I know is I was using .82mm, which was recommended by the kit manual. I had a roll of it, but I've gone and lost the stupid thing!

Ok then 0.032 is 0.82mm.  Try Skyshop in Brisbane he should have some also.

11 minutes ago, Thruster88 said:

I have worked at a maintenance org, cessna piper airtractor etc, for a couple of years now and have never seen 0.040 used on a control turnbuckle. If however the manufacturer calls for 0.040 then that should be used. It would be a struggle to get 0.040 on to some of the more inaccessible turnbuckles🤔 

At my final inspection I had to redo all safety on control system turnbuckles with 0.040.  I had done then with 0.032.  I did read later that they did need to be 0.040 in my situation. These are wire for aileron, rudder and elevator control. I’ll look into it a bit more now.  Yes the thicker wire takes some care and effort. Thanks.

• Like 1

I don't understand why some of you guys don't support our own pilot supplies shop Clear Prop, it's in the menu...it is also what helps to pay the costs of providing this site for you

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Thruster88 said:

Just looked up AC43.13-1B in 7-182 table 7-8 guide says cable 1/8” double or single wrap of 0.040.  

• Informative 1

4 hours ago, Admin said:

I don't understand why some of you guys don't support our own pilot supplies shop Clear Prop, it's in the menu...it is also what helps to pay the costs of providing this site for you

I will get it from you then! I've glanced at the shop in the past but got the impression it was more for accessories like headsets etc

On 08/02/2021 at 3:02 PM, IBob said:

I'd have to say it doesn't seem to me to be overly strong. Or perhaps it's severely weakened when overtwisted, which I have learned to try and avoid.

It's only supposed to be twisted 6-8 turns per inch, according to the manuals

• Informative 1