RAF test pilot 'Winkie' Brown • BBC documentary

Garfly

On 18/02/2021 at 11:58 AM, skippydiesel said:

I noticed with great interest that many of the DH  Mosquito shots were in fact DH Hornets - for my money one of the most beautiful piston twins ever built

Wow ! not a single challenger to my statement be found. perhaps a little addition or two:

Probably the ultimate development of the piston twin. The DH Hornet saw active service during WW2. Greater range & pay load, faster & more maneuverable (at low altitude), than the "jets" of the time. Unlike the Mosquito it had  "Handed"  engines  supposed to be better for carrier operations. Saw "action" in Asia (Malaya ?). Even had some at Bankstown. Supposed to be a pilot's aircraft. Not a flying example remains of this wonderful  creation.

OME - The speaker contradicts himself on the range question - the Hornet having considerably greater range than the early jets.

I also think he was incorrect on the speed -  the Hornet being equal if not better than the early jets at low altitudes.

The Hornet lost  to the jets when it came to higher altitudes.

I have never quite understood why low level fighter bombers need to be jet powered (I accept turbo props) - the Hornet may have excelled as a low level aircraft fitted with turbo props (may have spilt its good looks)