It's 'per se'

Per se you say ... just ask autocorrect 😁

Im paenitet, sed mortuus linguarum modern vita opiniones illae haud desinunt.

And yes, only half of that came from my rather poor education in latin - bare minimum required to be a solicitor - and the rest from google translate

Edited by kasper

2 hours ago, tillmanr said:

Rather et tu Brute.

I'm sorry, but a dead language modern life are not compatible is the translation of "Im paenitet, sed mortuus linguarum modern vita opiniones illae haud desinunt"  The word "et", meaning "and" should have been placed between "linguarum"  and "modern" . 

I was simply paraphrasing Caesar's dying words from Act 3 Scene 1 of William Shakespeare's play Julius Caesar in the vain attempt at humour.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

ALL GREEK 

Graecum est; non legitur ("it is Greek, [therefore] it cannot be read") This phrase was increasingly used by monk scribes in the Middle Ages, as knowledge of the Greek alphabet and language was dwindling among those who were copying manuscripts in monastic libraries

It appears in 1599 in Shakespeare's play Julius Caesar, as spoken by Servilius Casca to Cassius after a festival in which Caesar was offered a crown:

CASSIUS: Did Cicero say any thing?

CASCA: Ay, he spoke Greek.
CASSIUS: To what effect?

CASCA: Nay, an I tell you that, I'll ne'er look you i' the face again: but those that understood him smiled at one another and shook their heads; but, for mine own part, it was Greek to me

5 minutes ago, onetrack said:

And here was me thinking that "Sic Gloria in Transit Mundi" meant that Gloria threw up on the bus on Monday.

No. It means that she was COVID-positive when she took the bus to work, and now there's a lot of world-wide contact tracing going on.