Is the Seamew the Airtruk's grandma?

Garfly

Sea Mew (Larus canus) is a medium-sized gull, found in Alaska and western Canada. Small; mantle medium-dark grey; wingtips with little black and much white; iris pale. Wingspan 96–102 cm (38–40 in); mass 320–550 g (11–19 oz). The name "sea mew" comes from the Dutch name "zee meeuw"

On 27/02/2021 at 9:55 AM, facthunter said:

A good use for it. Great flying shot s of a definitely "strange" aircraft. Modified EP9s were about Bankstown also. Fitted with ex Avro Anson radials.  Nev

Basil Browns Airfarm used the radial ones before they got the Ceres

• Informative 1

Regarding the spray or dust DH 82's I understand they didn't lift much. I knew a Neil Simpson who Used at least one  but I think it was hard to make a quid with a Tiger. Aerial Agriculture went with the DH Beavers and there were a few 180s about. Pivoting on one wheel with high engine revs caused crankshaft cracking and failure near the drive end with gyroscopic loads. Nev

5 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Regarding the spray or dust DH 82's I understand they didn't lift much. I knew a Neil Simpson who Used at least one  but I think it was hard to make a quid with a Tiger. Aerial Agriculture went with the DH Beavers and there were a few 180s about. Pivoting on one wheel with high engine revs caused crankshaft cracking and failure near the drive end with gyroscopic loads. Nev

In the Walcha folk museum there is what is claimed to be the prototype 82 duster.

whilst it’s the only aircraft item in the museum it’s worth a visit to the museum if your up the New England way.  Open weekends and staffed by the expected pensioner volunteers 😛

• Informative 1

On 02/03/2021 at 8:00 PM, facthunter said:

I think that's the area where Neil operated his. They may have used some Avro Biplanes also. (what a terrible waste ). The engines ran too hot in them.  Nev

Neil was a gentleman, he used to fly Tom around in the 182 towards the end of Air Ag. AA/Superspread only used Tigers. They did look into the Lysander and Stearman but DCA at the time weren't going to let that happen. SS did use Wirraway's for a limited time.

Okay, they don't make filmcraft - or aircraft - like that anymore.

(And, just for that, you'll be required to watch another one.)

• 5 weeks later...

When experience gained in WWI showed that the aircraft carrier was an essential component of the 20th Century Navy, the British issued Specification 3/21 for a carrier-based fleet spotter and reconnaissance aircraft. Two companies, Blackburn and Arvo submitted entries. The aircraft were remarkably similar in appearance and could have had roles in a Christmas pantomime as the Ugly Sisters.

This is the Blackburn R1 Blackburn image.jpeg.344c16789b913d088f8b73406879ddd5.jpeg and this is the Avro Bison  image.jpeg.f8d8f38671e41c1deffed781c58f6114.jpeg

Here's a video about the Blackburn https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tow1xHV_knI

It's some undersea tracking antenna. ALL such additions look weird.. Often the pilot was left outside and passengers in the cabin below. What else could the pilot expect? He/She hasn't paid for a ticket. 

Humans look funny too It's just that we have become used to them. Ears and noses particularly. Nev

Edited by facthunter

• 4 weeks later...

And now for a Soviet entrant in the rejected aircraft stakes, the M15 Belfegor.

The jet powered ag wagon was supposed to replace the old-fashioned AN-2 in the role

but some of the few that were eventually made went straight to museums, while the AN-2 is still doing the job to this day.

843373986_M15.thumb.png.55838ff1ef411f2e75cbdf2730fe779d.png

These Polish videos come with english subtitles when watched on YouTube:

Edited by Garfly

Just what the world needed a 21m span pure jet powered biplane with two separate hoppers 2m either side of the centreline!!!!!

It also had two seats behind the pilot for pax. I have seen pics of one spreading solids, I cringe at the thought of flow problems and having one hopper empty while the other still full. Any of the Polish aircraft have good spread/spray patterns. The Drom was the best of any factory setup for spray, the Drom spreader threw a great pattern as well. A well flown Drom could sow the best rice crop of any aircraft.

Edited by Student Pilot
To problematize inquiry-centered competencies through the collaborative process.
  • Informative 2

A422D918-D57F-4AF6-93C1-1BD7A155E8EF.thumb.jpeg.8b1d8edddbb1f04d28dd6d378d735793.jpegThe Edgar Percival 9, EP9...the SAAF Museum ha one, got close to i, flew right seat once or twice....actually, not a bad machine! Good when telling kids about the bids and the bees.....kind of looks like........

• Like 1