Garmin Pilot10 Vs OzRunways

Good evening,

Im installing new Garmin hardware and of course it runs well with Garmin Pilot V10  Im currently using OzRunways and Im happy with this product.  Has anyone had mush experience with the Garmin Pilot10 software and can compare it to Oz?  From my dealings with it so far... it has some great features...but so does OzRunways.  Im not super keen on having two Flight bags

Any feedback from anyone who has used it for a while and can compare would be very welcome

Thanks again

Apologies if this topic is somewhere else on the site

Did not even know Garmin was doing an app looks good. The integration with the rest of your systems is a plus but does not look like it talks the SkyEcho which is a minus, it also look like it is limited in Australia compared to USA and Europe.

You can try it for 30 days for fee and let us know what you think.

Just now, SplitS said:

Did not even know Garmin was doing an app looks good. The integration with the rest of your systems is a plus but does not look like it talks the SkyEcho which is a minus, it also look like it is limited in Australia compared to USA and Europe.

You can try it for 30 days for fee and let us know what you think.

I have been flying with it for a few months now... it has some great features but it falls down on simple things like printing flight plan, submission to NAIPS (painful), sectional flight heights and just simple things like 'flow' but working on it.    Has some great features like easy access to ERSA, weather, winds aloft (not sure if its better then windy??) Notams, airspace warnings .... maybe ozrunways could take note and build on their product.   I bit the bullet and purchased for 12 montsh to get a good feel and do a bit of flying with it....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 year later...

I am also looking to pick an EFB. I have G3X and GTN, so Garmin integration would be good. But missing some Australia-focussed features from OzRunways like filing with NAIPS.

Is there a way for OzRunways to upload a flight plan to G3X? CountryFlyer, are you still using Pilot, and have there been any significant updates?

Bit off topic. I find submitting a sartime with the naips app quicker than submitting a flight plan with ozrunways even if I have already done the flightplan with ozrunways for fuel and etc. Im a noob. To not answer your question, Id use both for a time and see. I assume you have adsb on the garmin? Nice profile plane, btw.  

Edited by APenNameAndThatA
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, fineline said:

I am also looking to pick an EFB. I have G3X and GTN, so Garmin integration would be good. But missing some Australia-focussed features from OzRunways like filing with NAIPS.

Is there a way for OzRunways to upload a flight plan to G3X? CountryFlyer, are you still using Pilot, and have there been any significant updates?

Hi….  I’ve been using both…. Pilot works so well and easy with upload and changes on the fly…. Picks up waypoints so I just bit the bullet and do all my planning in OzRunways, submission, height, maps etc and then just duplicate it in pilot10.  It probably takes me an extra 5 or 10 mins max… any change in flight I do in pilot but other wise it’s pretty easy and quick.  The only thing is that pilot won’t send heights to the g3x… but that’s fine. And also you can’t seem to send the information to a printer…. Another plus for OzRunways.  OzRunways has just done an upgrade and it has some great vfr/ information included..

I know you can send files from OzRunways onto a usb and then upload… but really. …toooo much mucking around

it means two costs but in the scheme of things it’s only once a year.

the link between pilot and Garmin products is seamless…. Simple as click and send

the image was from  Taree down to Newcastle and back to Maitland along the coast…. Pretty specific on heights and waypoints have to be spot on…. Turned when it had too and I got to have a look at the scenery ….within reason 🙂

C00F4DE9-3013-425C-9F18-B49D19228F60.png

Edited by Country Flyer

1 hour ago, APenNameAndThatA said:

Bit off topic. I find submitting a sartime with the naips app quicker than submitting a flight plan with ozrunways even if I have already done the flightplan with ozrunways for fuel and etc. Im a noob. To not answer your question, Id use both for a time and see. I assume you have adsb on the garmin? Nice profile plane, btw.  

Thanks a pen….. I continued to use both and bought both…. The ease of changes and sending plans and waypoints to the garmin  gear is so easy… so it’s worth it.  I use Oz as my primary planner and then copy it to pilot.  I don’t use pilot for w&b or fuel…. Just steering the plane basically.

Just looking on Ozrunway at the tip of Queensland as some mates posted on faceb that Bamaga has poor rainy weather.  Fist time I have seen the main reginal airports coloured as to there weather status.  At a glance could get an indication of what airports were marginal VFR  (yellow),  IFR conditions (Orange) and clear etc.  A good additional feature.

91BEF35C-15C0-4276-94C4-04220294A278.png

Edited by Blueadventures

Interesting, thanks CountryFlyer. Since OzRunways (or AvPlan) seems to be the choice for planning, I'm wondering what value putting it all into Garmin Pilot and adding waypoints in Pilot en route has over putting these directly into the gear in the plane? I'm not keen on having two separate EFB subscriptions, especially on top of the big ticket Garmin databases.

6 hours ago, fineline said:

Interesting, thanks CountryFlyer. Since OzRunways (or AvPlan) seems to be the choice for planning, I'm wondering what value putting it all into Garmin Pilot and adding waypoints in Pilot en route has over putting these directly into the gear in the plane? I'm not keen on having two separate EFB subscriptions, especially on top of the big ticket Garmin databases.

Good question…. Pilot talks directly to the navigator/autopilot so the planning and more importantly the finer details can be done at home and simply upload at the plane.  Also I can do it on an iPad….greater screen size rather then the smaller navigator screen.

I Would rather one..most probably pilot due to the ease of sending but Oz has some great features…like next frequency, NAIPS submission and now coded airport metars…as well… yes it adds up especially the Garmin databases but between pilot/Oz it’s an extra $200?????? Per year.

Thanks CountryFlyer. I agree the EFB subs are pretty good value considering they give you a lot of what you get in the Garmin databases along with other info. Data for the G3X plus GTN650 comes to nearly $1200 together - that's over 25 hours worth of fuel for me at current prices.