2 1/4" panel mount radio

Before installing it may be worth checking/replacing the internal memory battery in the AR3201 as there have been reports of failed batteries leaking and corroding the circuit board which proved costly 

• Informative 1

56 minutes ago, ev17ifly2 said:

Before installing it may be worth checking/replacing the internal memory battery in the AR3201 as there have been reports of failed batteries leaking and corroding the circuit board which proved costly 

Thanks for the heads up. I also collect old games consoles and the original Xbox in particular has a similar problem, but with a super capacitor. I pulled mine apart and sure enough there was gunk everywhere! Pulled the cap and cleaned it up and it's all good again 🙂 

Actually I'll replace it anyway. They tend not to last more than ten years max. Be a nuisance if it goes flat and I keep having to set up the frequencies...

Edited by danny_galaga

7 hours ago, RFguy said:

sure it was a cap ? didnt just look like a cap ?  super cap will only leak if over voltaged.

Yeah, it's a known problem with them. Some kinda gel? There was a number of years where the whole lot were crap. At the time, MS decided to run the clock with this cap instead of a battery. The chip that had the clock in it used a lot of power though so they used this super cap. Could still only hold the time for a few hours if unplugged.

Mark- yeah just some menu ideas etc. there would be a bunch of stuff.

Danny - supercaps have certainly improved in recent years, and very recently capacity has gone up 4 to 8x. but that's still maybe only 8 houts instead of 2hours

Hard to go past a battery. just as long as the battery can be easily changed out !  IE slot in the front etc. there are a few large capacity primary lithium coin cells that have soldered tabs, 10 years worth for most gear memory. 

The best solution for those designs is a magnetic memory-  It is very common these days- it is called FRAM.     FRAM is just what is reads FERROMAGNETIC. It can be written zillions of times and holds its memory essentially, forever. 

Edited by RFguy
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, RFguy said:

Mark- yeah just some menu ideas etc. there would be a bunch of stuff.

Danny - supercaps have certainly improved in recent years, and very recently capacity has gone up 4 to 8x. but that's still maybe only 8 houts instead of 2hours

Hard to go past a battery. just as long as the battery can be easily changed out !  IE slot in the front etc. there are a few large capacity primary lithium coin cells that have soldered tabs, 10 years worth for most gear memory. 

The best solution for those designs is a magnetic memory-  It is very common these days- it is called FRAM.     FRAM is just what is reads FERROMAGNETIC. It can be written zillions of times and holds its memory essentially, forever. 

That won't help us collectors 🤣

I think you'll find this interesting in regards to what was in MS head when they first designed the xbox. Not a long article, but explains why a battery is out of the question:

https://www.xenatera.com/bunnie/proj/anatak/rtc.html

Jack

yeah it absolutely has to have sensible menu system because you dont want to get into menus when you are in a pickle (IE needs something like hold button x down for y seconds to get back to top  of stack...

At least you have a radio designed by a pilot . ha ha. 

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1

3 hours ago, RFguy said:

what did a microair 760 cost 10 years ago ?

Twelve years ago $1250-; most 2nd hand ones were up to $800- and refurbished if needed was about $450-  When I bought a 2nd hand one it was good, no issues and so a second hand one at 800 was an ok choice as if no good then pay 450 and you have as good as new and damage was $1250.