Comparison between Skyranger Nynja and Bushcat

flyingbaz

Hi All

I'm interested to know if anyone has flown both the Bushcat and the SR Nynja. I'd be keen to get impressions between the 2 planes, pluses and minuses, and obtain constructive comparisons. 

I've been through the specs, and it appears the Nynja is a faster plane with a higher payload, and possibly slightly cheaper to buy and build. The Bushcat has a wider cockpit for a more comfortable ride, but I'd be very interested in comparing the flying characteristics if anyone can offer input.

Thanks for reading and look forward to hopefully interesting feedback.

Barry 

• Like 1

The Nynja has a 2" (50mm) widening kit you could get in Australia.  I have the pieces that I did not install in mine as did not realise I had the bits.  Chris with a Nynja in South Australia fitted the wide body option.  Also all wings for the Nynja and Swift 3 have the 600 kg MTOW bits.  I have seen the testing of the 600 kg undercarriage so getting close to being available.  Mine is 286 kg empty and 540kg MTOW at present and will upgrade to 600kg with the manufactures parts when available.  Have the wing kit bits already.  Absolutely happy with mine (270 hours trouble free) and the build manual and some youtube videos and this site have build information.

I can't fault its handling and performance.

Recommend the wing tank option.  Also can get bigger tyre kits.  I have two sets packaged in UK at Flylight.  Will be transfering the money to night and they are fast at delivery and always happy to preovide service to any questions.  Over 1600 of the variants flying.

If your purchase a NYNJA I expect you would be totally happy with the flying, and the cockpit comfort  / vision.

Cheers

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I can't vouch for the Bushcat, but I can for the Nynja.

The Nynja is a very predictable yet sporty flyer. One of the things I loved about the Nynja was its flying characteristics in turbulence. I found that the Nynja did a better job handling the turbulence than I did. So I just left my hand off the stick and let it get on with it. All it required was the occasional touch to maintain track.

In the landing phase, the Nynja was always exactly where I pointed it. The pitch control is quite light and responsive. The roll control is a bit heavier than pitch and that takes a few flights to acclimatise to but it's not a big issue. The Nynja has a bit of adverse yaw with ailerons so requires using rudder to keep turns coordinated. My Nynja had the fuselage tank behind the seats and required frequent pitch trimming on long trips. The wing tanks do away with that, but then you have roll imbalances if you don't manage fuel usage between the tanks. Roll trim on the Nynja is a bit primative. It's a bungee cord that applies pressure to the aileron cables. I never found much benefit from the system as I didn't have wing tanks.

Because the Nynja has a very light wing loading, it is kind of harsh in the bumps. 
I used to cruise my Nynja at around 90-95kt at 5,000 RPM. The airframe felt stiff and harsh in the bumps above that althought it will do it safely.

The luggage capacity with the fuselage tank uption was inadequate in my view and was what caused me to upgrade to another plane. With wing tanks and 600kg rating, the Nynja would be a very useful and fun airplane and very good value.

And a final thought, I learned a LOT about aircraft systems and construction and a LOT about the Rotax engine from building my Nynja. It gave me a lot of confidence to maintain my Nynja and that has carried through to my Legend.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

On 19/03/2021 at 4:33 PM, Blueadventures said:

The Nynja has a 2" (50mm) widening kit you could get in Australia.  I have the pieces that I did not install in mine as did not realise I had the bits.  Chris with a Nynja in South Australia fitted the wide body option.  Also all wings for the Nynja and Swift 3 have the 600 kg MTOW bits.  I have seen the testing of the 600 kg undercarriage so getting close to being available.  Mine is 286 kg empty and 540kg MTOW at present and will upgrade to 600kg with the manufactures parts when available.  Have the wing kit bits already.  Absolutely happy with mine (270 hours trouble free) and the build manual and some youtube videos and this site have build information.

I can't fault its handling and performance.

Recommend the wing tank option.  Also can get bigger tyre kits.  I have two sets packaged in UK at Flylight.  Will be transfering the money to night and they are fast at delivery and always happy to preovide service to any questions.  Over 1600 of the variants flying.

If your purchase a NYNJA I expect you would be totally happy with the flying, and the cockpit comfort  / vision.

Cheers

Hi BlueAdventures

Thanks for this informative reply.

Is there any literature on the widening kit? Could I get in touch with Chris at all to get more info perhaps?

I've heard about the wing tanks, and again are there any details I can obtain regarding installation, Header tank requirements etc.

Look forward to your feedback.

Barry

Hi Barry  PM your phone and I'll pass onto Chris.

PM your email and I'll send you the wing kit instructions that came with my tanks.

NT Nynja. - Skyranger - Recreational Flying  is the short post about Chris's wide body Nynja.  Easy to do with the supplied kit.  I had trimmed to fibreglass by the time I realised the bits were in the kit.  I could have done a join to both sides as good with fibreglass; but original dimensions ok with us.

Cheers Mike

I'm building a Bushcat at the moment. It has taken a while and I can't compare to the Nynja. I'm hoping to check out a Nynja in a few months just to compare. Flying the Bushcat is pleasant and it does seem to soak up bumps. It's a bit heavier than the Nynja so maybe down to weight? One thing to consider is whether you want a taildragger or not. Not sure if the Nynja has that option? 

Bushcat only comes with fuselage tank so that's another consideration. From what I'm reading here, people are getting a lot more use out of having a wing tank. We don't particularly want to carry much (if we ever get this thing flying 🤣  ) so in that regard if you don't need to carry much a fuselage tank SHOULD be easier to fuel than a wing tank.

Also, whichever version you buy, if you are building have a look at my blog to get an idea

https://dannygalaga.blogspot.com/2020/03/about-this-blog-my-adventures-in.html

Edited by danny_galaga

It may be now a bit more difficult to compare the two as the BushCat has recently undergone a major upgrade with it now being a 600kg aircraft here in Australia.  I own and built a tailwheel version and am extremely happy with it for the sort of flying I do.  Cruise is just under 80kts at 5200rpm and with full fuel of 90ltr and a passenger I’m still able to carry 35kg of luggage.  Just what i wanted for Outback touring 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, danny_galaga said:

I'm building a Bushcat at the moment. It has taken a while and I can't compare to the Nynja. I'm hoping to check out a Nynja in a few months just to compare. Flying the Bushcat is pleasant and it does seem to soak up bumps. It's a bit heavier than the Nynja so maybe down to weight? One thing to consider is whether you want a taildragger or not. Not sure if the Nynja has that option? 

Bushcat only comes with fuselage tank so that's another consideration. From what I'm reading here, people are getting a lot more use out of having a wing tank. We don't particularly want to carry much (if we ever get this thing flying 🤣  ) so in that regard if you don't need to carry much a fuselage tank SHOULD be easier to fuel than a wing tank.

Also, whichever version you buy, if you are building have a look at my blog to get an idea

https://dannygalaga.blogspot.com/2020/03/about-this-blog-my-adventures-in.html

Thanks Danny, appreciate the input, my requirement would be tricycle.

The Nynja is apparently soon to be released as a 600Kg (this has been going on for a few years though). If so it would give a significant payload advantage over the Bushcat. Would need to go for wing tanks to make it competitive, but wing tanks in them selves are more hassle than the fuselage, with the advantage though of better baggage space. I do like the composite fuselage cover on the Nynja, makes for a sleek looking plane. If 600Kg for both, and wing tanks on Nynja, the main differences would be: Nynja - higher cruise speed around 90K, better payload, longer time in air with larger tanks. Bushcat - More comfy I think, good looking plane, better representation in Australia, easier fuel management (fuselage tank, but less fuel).

No question both would do the job for my purposes. I intend going to have a look and at least sit in each, if not try and get a quick flight in each. I will then decide. I'll go and look at your blog

Barry

• Like 1