What confidence level do the members have with RAA and CASA for our sport looking ahead

SSCBD

With all the crap and corruption again this week of the government and its staff or public servants. 

Questions 

1. Do you have any confidence in CASA and RAA to provide service, better freedoms and better outcomes for our RAA sport. 

2. What do you expect to be approved this year in RAA to provide more freedom to our flying 

3. Is RAA doing a good job for the members?

4. Do we finally expect any MTOW weight increase THIS year? 

5. Are YOU happy flying around in our toys compared to say 5 - ten years ago? Are we better off now???

1 No

2 Very little

3 Not really

4 No

5 Yes and No

Really we have turned RAAus into a not for profit, profit making machine. The executive now have to ensure that they can keep the money flowing in as well as keep CASA off their backs.

I am happy flying now but as I see it we are on borrowed time. Airservices have just stolen a load of our airspace and np doubt CASA will see us as getting less safe, because their are more of us per cubic airspace than before, so they will want to legislate that there can be only so many planes in any area or some other stupid thing to reduce the risk.

To be fair to CASA, they are also in a difficult situation because they are caught in a historical bind as well as being on the horns of a dilemma.

The historical bind is their program of regulatory reform and its cost and results. Sooner or later someone in government is going to perform a cost benefit analysis and conclude it’s a zero sum game.

The dilemma is simple. You cannot write prescriptive regulations that efffectively micromanage while at the same time claiming you have no liability for outcomes.

• Like 1

I watched the AGM online and I also went to the recent seminar at our airfield which was meet the new CEO etc.

One thing that was implied over and over is that all of the grizzling from 95.10 People is a waste of time. For this end of tthe market absolutely nothing has changed and nothing ever will change. By these members screaming about how their rights are being dissolved and everything else is simply not true and a member flying grassroots aircraft 15 years ago or 20 years ago still has exactly the same opportunities and conditions as they have now.

It seemed like this segment of aviation just wanted to be vocal and complain for no real reason.

From what I heard both events, I do have confidence that they are looking after our interests as recreational aviators in a rapidly changing environment with pressures from CASA, Air Services, airspace changes and safety.

From everything I saw I believe they are doing very good job on a reasonably limited budget.

I don't understand what you mean by wanting more freedom. You can take off from a deserted bleach near Byron Bay and fly all the way over to the most westerly point of Australia without using your radio a single time if this is what you want to do. You do not need to get permission or comply with 1 million rules and regulations so I don't know what more freedoms you want. There is probably no other country in the world that you can do this without restrictions.

Are you happy flying around now compared to say five years ago or compared to say 10 years ago ?   For me respectfully, this is a stupid question. We always look back on the "good old days" with affections that mellow over time. Simplistically put, there is no real difference if you just want to have recreational fun and do so within some fairly generous rules which are in place to protect all aviators. Just like there are rules on the road there are rules in the air, enjoy what you can and stop complaining !

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

I have owned and operated aircraft continuously in both casa VH and RAAus worlds for more than 25 years now. Nothing has changed except RAAus getting heavier in that time to make flying easier or more difficult. Neither organisation helps or hinders me, no health issues atm. it's just another thing like getting the car registered and following the road rules.

Edited by Thruster88
  • Agree 1
  • Helpful 1

NOTHING CHANGED

How about the 95-10 ' wing loading' rule, invoked to cut certain aircraft out of the sky,s.

16 builders and only One went to the other side !. 95-19.

The rest , who knows, RAA doesn't care, they only want bigger aircraft.

spacesailor

10 hours ago, spacesailor said:

NOTHING CHANGED

How about the 95-10 ' wing loading' rule, invoked to cut certain aircraft out of the sky,s.

16 builders and only One went to the other side !. 95-19.

The rest , who knows, RAA doesn't care, they only want bigger aircraft.

spacesailor

sorry but I can only quote what they told me and many others at the meeting that nothing has changed with 95.10 since it was introduced.  if there have been changes then you should contact  the RA--Aus and ask why changes have been made to civil aviation order 95.10 and how they affect you.  What they did say is that anything that ever gets changed is preceded by an NPRM by a certain period of time to allow for industry consultation and comments from those affected. Most of the time there are no comments so the changes just go through. They did say that for 95.10 pilots nothing had changed since 1997 so if it has chase them up

5 minutes ago, FlyBoy1960 said:

nothing has changed with 95.10 since it was introduced

I checked my 1995 copy of 95.10 and the wing loading requirement of 30kg/m2 was the go then which is why I didn't build a Hummelbird back then.

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, FlyBoy1960 said:

sorry but I can only quote what they told me and many others at the meeting that nothing has changed with 95.10 since it was introduced.  if there have been changes then you should contact  the RA--Aus and ask why changes have been made to civil aviation order 95.10 and how they affect you.  What they did say is that anything that ever gets changed is preceded by an NPRM by a certain period of time to allow for industry consultation and comments from those affected. Most of the time there are no comments so the changes just go through. They did say that for 95.10 pilots nothing had changed since 1997 so if it has chase them up

Reasonably accurate to say the CAO has had minimal changes - put aside the issue SpaceSailor has about hummels not fitting into 95.10 - there was ALWAYS the 95.55 alternate introduced on the day 95.10 was closed off which would have allowed ANY Hummel to be AUF/RAAus registered.

However in practice the changes to the effective use of 95.10 have been done outside the CAO - they are in the RAAus Tech manual and that area has changed dramatically for 95.10.

Not going to list the changes because 95% of RAAus peopel have no interest in 95.10 and will just dismiss the changes as logical and aligning with expectations fo factory built arircraft or kits ... but the changes are real and impact on the very few who want to use 95.10.

That said from an owner of three 95.10 airframes two of whcih are my own design and one of which took 2 years of arguing with RAAus to get registered because they didn't want it designed/built as I had designed/built it ...  

Edited by kasper
  • More 1

BUT 

We can register as V H experimental.

Then move away from haveing to support the Company that put us in this predicament! .

( ALMOST EVERY HUMMEL WAS BUILT SPECIFICALLY for 95-10, no photoes required  )

The one registered 95-19 was designed to have Rorax motor 

spacesailor

Sure you can register as VH experimental, but there seems to be a reluctance to do so.

I have had both VH Exp and RAAus reg planes and can see no real difference in them. The medical standards to go VH may be slightly more arduous, but I reckon if you can't pass them you may have trouble with a drivers licence medical.

RAAus is mor expensive due to the annual membership and rego fees.

The only thing stopping me putting my Corby on the VH register is that I am getting too old to be bothered with the paperwork.

I could,nt do paperwork when young, let alone now.

Never actually pasted my driving license test but was given it after the test, with even my name spelt wrong.

A lot of lawyerspeak words, I find beyong comprehension,  ( so do lots of people I understand ),

So trying to read read tech manuals, is a bit like reading Greek with Egyptian hyroglyphics, as well as four pages of abreviations.

I once asked a Nouro surgeon to have a look, & he said, l,de need a Rocket scientist to understand it.

spacesailor

1. Do you have any confidence in CASA and RAA to provide service, better freedoms and better outcomes for our RAA sport. 

CASA - Meh.... RAA, well right now I can do everything I want and need to do with my aircraft and enjoy my flying with little interference from anyone - so yep! I am confident we are good.

2. What do you expect to be approved this year in RAA to provide more freedom to our flying 

Hmm... I don't need anymore freedom. I can fly around the country at will - Sure - can't hit CTA, but then I don't really want to.

3. Is RAA doing a good job for the members?

I have nothing to complain about right now.  It costs me more to keep my ute registered on the road!!!

4. Do we finally expect any MTOW weight increase THIS year? 

Meh - Does not interest me anyway!

5. Are YOU happy flying around in our toys compared to say 5 - ten years ago? Are we better off now???

I have only been flying for 5 years, so for me, I am happy as!  Just upgraded to a new bird, and I am smiling! 

I know RAA cops a flogging sometimes, and I really don't have any incite into the organisation other than if it lets me jump in my LSA and scoot across the country at a whim, with little inconvenience, then I am good with that! 

• Like 1