Start Batteries AGAIN

skippydiesel

Yes I did a search but was not satisfied with the result -

Your comments/thoughts will be of immense interest on "best bank for the buck"

This is a for Rotax 912 ULS (100hp) application.

I have been using an SSB, Part Number RB16CL-B, for about 7 years - very happy! https://superstart.com.au/ (still goes to 14.2V on the trickle charger)

CCA: 385, Amp Hour: 19, Weight 6.6 Kg

Way more power than the Rotax recommended  battery specifications and in a lighter package to boot - couldn't be happier.

BUT

Have been looking into a replacement aircraft, currently fitted with an Odyssey PC 680 - CCA: 170, Amp Hrs: 16 & Weight: 7 kg.

Both SSB & Odyssey are of Absorbed Glass Matt construction and can be mounted in any position.

With the exception of length,the Odyssey is slightly smaller and heavier, than the SSB  but at 16 Ah & 170 CCA, is way less output than the SSB.

Clearly both batteries can "do the job".

The SSB is cheaper, apparently more powerful & has a good service life (I probably should retire mine to lawn mower duties) BUT is it overkill in the power department?

What, if any, are the practical/operational ramifications in using a more powerful battery, than specified by Rotax ?

Note: Battery to starter cable lengths are as short as possible. Cable diameter is appropriate for application and all connections (including earth return) are "good"

You'd use a more powerful battery than Rotax specify for the aircraft loads rather than the engine, so its not overkill.

If stuck in the boondocks and leaving the master on you will probably appreciate the bigger battery anyway.

I've used a Genesis 925 (commercial grade version of Odyssey, same specs there is also a Fullriver line the major difference is yellow black or red casing)

There is someting odd about the PC680 specs where the PC625 are better despite being smaller, presumably cheaper.

These are good products but really the same chemistry as the SSB and I found that replacing the 925 with a drop - in equivalent commercial standby battery cut the price to a quarter of the USA product and its still going strong 5 yrs on.

I'll be doing the same when its time is up. Yes I do like proper brand etc. in the telco industry we use a lot of types and the high end brands do fail regularly, difference being they are warrantied by the suppliers and changed out. Lately the low end regular use brand is Remco, in a few years the swapouts will come in and I'll see how they hold up.

The very best batteries were spiral wound cylindrical - Gates / Hawker Cyclon series and I've seen some european cylindrical types fitted to Alpi arcraft these tend to be extra expensive, the only equvalent sold here is Optima which I dont know the quality.