OZ runways ipad

Hay jut got myself a wireless GPS receiver for iPad oz runways i wanted to know if you can just blue tooth your iPad to it and you won't have a need to put a sim card in your iPad.

Sure can (note I use a stratux box so ymmv depending on what you have) but it works fine with no cellular connection, and much more accurate than the internal gps. 

• Informative 1

Don't all iPads have a built in GPS, mine does and it is not a new one. Avplan worked OK without a sim card, but I don't think it would transmit my location without a card.

Further to what tillmanr posted, if your ipad can take a sim card, it has inbuilt GPS. You don't have to have a sim card in it to use the GPS though. If your ipad doesn't have a sim card facility, it doesn't have the GPS circuitry and you'll need an external GPS unit to use it.
Phones have the GPS circuitry and you might think that bluetoothing to the phone will allow you to use the phone's GPS. It works, but not very well. The phone will only send GPS updates about every 30 seconds to a minute apart.
BTDT. I bought a “cheap” ipad (without the sim) to replace my old failing one. I saved about $200... Then realised that I'd have to spend about that much for the external GPS. The people in the apple store were VERY keen to sell me that ipad. Too bad they didn't tell me about the GPS.😡

• Informative 1

Good point Scott, I’d forgotten about the lack of gps on wifi only iPads. For the $200 difference I’d just buy the stratux kit, build it and then you get gps and ADSB in and the traffic on OzRunways from it too. 

I’ve found using that also helps the battery on the iPad out a lot, although tbh it can be a pain to remember to bring along when renting as at least the iPad gets remembered due to me using it to plan and submit notifications.

• Agree 1