Weight-shift fatality Koo Wee Rup 4 April 2021

seems a bit odd that a loose helmet caused the crash though it could have been a big enough distraction & a sudden control action close to the ground may have resulted in CFIT. Is a T2 rego the SAFA prefix for trikes?

Seven news reported that the pilot forgot to put his helmet on. It flew into the propeller, which broke up and ripped the wing.

• Informative 1

8 minutes ago, red750 said:

Seven news reported that the pilot forgot to put his helmet on. It flew into the propeller, which broke up and ripped the wing.

If that happened that would explain it. The sail is a structural element and if the trailing edge is torn there can be very nasty behaviour changes which at really low altitude I can see ending badly. 

I’ve not seen a helmet strike but a friend was lucky when a glove went through a 912 prop and was thrown straight up and punched a hole in front of the trailing edge inboard which in that case held till it was put back on the ground.

sad to hear and thoughts to those who knew him.  

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, red750 said:

Could you please post a link to this?

It's all speculation based on one call to Seven News. The police officer at the scene declined to speculate on the cause, and no other official mouthpiece is saying anything about the cause of the crash.

The precise answer to the reason for the crash will have to wait until the official report or investigation is carried out.

12 hours ago, old man emu said:

It's a simple thing to forget to secure your helmet's chin strap if you are thinking about other things. I caught myself in that position recently on my motorbike. 

OME, 

Motorbike does have a written checklist, when I had my Microlight it was part of the pre takeoff/pre landing checklist. (Helmet/harness secure)

one cannot rush the art of flying.

• Like 1

(The precise answer to the reason for the crash will have to wait until the official report or investigation is carried out.)

Q. Where does one find these offical reports or investigation answers.

4 hours ago, Cooee59 said:

(The precise answer to the reason for the crash will have to wait until the official report or investigation is carried out.)

Q. Where does one find these offical reports or investigation answers.

The Police investigate, may call in RAA or other body, Police prepare a Brief for the State Corroner. The State Coroner decides what caused the death, not the accident (but still may provide a lot of detail). If you search in the Coroners' offices you may find a report after some months, or in some cases some years.

In a very few cases ATSB investigate and post their progress on line, but they normally only handle VH registered aircraft.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1