Electric Rag and Tube

Garfly

On 19/06/2021 at 12:46 PM, onetrack said:

Dr Benny Peiser of the Global Warming Policy Forum is not exactly a leading world expert on climate science - he's a social anthropologist, with a record of bouncing around with his views on GW.

His written English ability isn't a great deal better than the Binghi's, either. Writing "unfaced" for "unfazed" makes it look like the Binghi is his contract journalist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benny_Peiser

OK, so, it is accepted that India is dramatically expanding its coal fired power stations..😎

Before I look at China, how goes Africa...🤔

“...It was quite a shock to Africa Energy Chamber Executive Director NJ Ayuk – and an even bigger shock to the Chamber – that the London-based Hyve group decided to move the annual Africa Oil Week from Cape Town, South Africa to Dubai. It was such a shock that the AEC shortly afterward announced it was sponsoring Africa Energy Week on the same weekend (November 8-12) as the (Out of) Africa Oil Week.

Mr. Ayuk works hard to ensure the interests of African companies and citizens in African energy ventures are widely recognized. He calls the dueling conferences a major confrontation between “Cancel Fossil Fuels” (Dubai) and “Protect our Oil and Gas Industry” (Cape Town)...”

Oh dear..😏

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2021/06/23/cape-town-and-dubai-battle-over-africas-energy-future/

This really should be in off topic, it is a long way from rag and tube electric.   I do take some responsibility for drift but how about we move it to a forum that is more appropriate.   Having said that..........  

37 minutes ago, Flying Binghi said:

OK, so, it is accepted that India is dramatically expanding its coal fired power stations..😎

No,      It is quite easy to cherry pick (on both sides) articles.

Yes, India really is moving away from coal and toward green energy

Profiling the five largest solar power plants in India

What ever the case is at India has a huge renewable sector.

Here is the 2020 breakdown of installed power capacity.  My question is, are you confidently asserting that the percentage of renewables will fall dramatically and the percentage of coal will grow dramatically in the next few years?  This is something we can look at next year and the year after.

It is quite easy to list proposed coal projects but these are up against proposed renewable projects. 5th largest installed capacity of renewable energy in the worldindia.jpg.845d348916c8bd4d8231870690d819d3.jpg

in this country there seems to little appetite for building new coal fired power stations.   

Edited by octave
  • Like 1

BUT

If on the one hand we ( collectively  ), clean the environment And lower the nice warmth that I enjoy.

When we get that extra cloud cover, I,ll have to burn Something to keep warm.

As my Solar power has gone under cloud cover & not producing as well.

spacesailor

PS messing with the  environment is never a good thing & is thraught ( spelling ) with danger.

Edited by spacesailor
Spelling

4 hours ago, octave said:

This really should be in off topic, it is a long way from rag and tube electric.   I do take some responsibility for drift but how about we move it to a forum that is more appropriate.   Having said that..........  

Here is the 2020 breakdown of installed power capacity.  My question is, are you confidently asserting that the percentage of renewables will fall dramatically and the percentage of coal will grow dramatically in the next few years?  This is something we can look at next year and the year after.

It is quite easy to list proposed coal projects but these are up against proposed renewable projects. 5th largest installed capacity of renewable energy in the worldindia.jpg.845d348916c8bd4d8231870690d819d3.jpg

in this country there seems to little appetite for building new coal fired power stations.   

Oh Dear, it must be a full moon again.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Flying Binghi said:

Heh... isn’t it funny how when reality comes along suddenly a subject becomes “off topic”....😏

Hey I am happy to continue here IF the members think this is a relevant conversation to have here.   The last thing I want to do is be an annoyance to the members.      So forum members and mods,  is this within the scope of this forum or not?  Should we continue drifting further from Electric Rag and Tube?  I will be guided by the forum members and mods.

By the way after I mentioned being off topic I actually did engage the your last post. 

23 hours ago, octave said:

Hmmm... “installed grid capacity in the world...”

Its funny how we see these graphs all the time... Why, look at solar it has x percentage of grid capacity..😏

As I write this it is 6am in Mumbai. I wonder what the total grid supply were from solar panels in the last few hours.....

🤔

🤫

8 minutes ago, octave said:

Hey I am happy to continue here IF the members think this is a relevant conversation to have here.   The last thing I want to do is be an annoyance to the members.      So forum members and mods,  is this within the scope of this forum or not?  Should we continue drifting further from Electric Rag and Tube?  I will be guided by the forum members and mods.

By the way after I mentioned being off topic I actually did engage the your last post. 

Heh... looking to be thrown a life vest, a get out of jail free card.....🙂

Anyway, how we is going to supply power to all them new electric powered toys is a ‘foundational’ question.

If a Tesla on fast charge draws the equivalent power of three average Australian homes then yer can see we need a lot more power supply if we intend to have all cars electric, let alone electric aircraft.

Not at al II am happy to post vast amounts of information if you like but why do you refuse to move the conversation to "off topic" rather than "recreational flying"?   

Edited by octave
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Flying Binghi said:

If a Tesla on fast charge draws the equivalent power of three average Australian homes then yer can see we need a lot more power supply if we intend to have all cars electric, let alone electric aircraft.

I am not sure of your figures here but accepting them for the moment,   then  a sudden mass adoption of EVS would be unsustainable but what we are really talking about is a 15 to 25 year process.   The power grid has always grown to accommodate societal changes and industry.   Norwegian electric vehicles revolution drives grid investments and managed EV charging can save millions

People seem to think that the only way EV owners charge their vehicles is through public charging.  Most EVs are charged overnight when traditionally there is a huge dip in power demand.    There is an advantage in utilizing excess supply overnight. This referred to as "filling the bath" in the power industry and is considered useful.

As I mentioned earlier my rooftop solar produces enough excess to drive a Kona EV 10000-14000km without relying on the grid so why would I pay for my daily recharge.     There is potential in Vehicle to grid technology in terms of taking back small amounts of power and paying the owner to handle peaks which would ordinarily require the services of peaker plants which are hideously expensive to run.    

If we took the view that our grid was at its maximum possible size we would stop building new houses and factories.    The growth of EVs is not so fast that we are going to suddenly hit a power crisis.   Certainly EV adoption is growing at a far slower rate than rooftop solar installations.   If you don't want to buy an EV then don't if you have no interest in alternative aviation technologies , that is absolutely fine.

Edited by octave
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, octave said:

I agree it should be closed & moved to Off Topic or revert back to something resembling the original thread. The Trump thread was closed & moved to Off Topic but the Trump lover(s) failed to follow.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Garfly said:

The auto equivalent of a microlight?

This is exactly what I envisaged as the perfect town car. ABC news reported a few weeks ago on a similar Chinese project which sells for around $5,000. Could sell the Astra and keep one X-country wagon and use this as a town car. Would smack the arrogant Angus Taylor in his mouth claiming that govt support for EV's would be the equivalent of subsidising "luxury" cars. Don

2 hours ago, spacesailor said:

OOPS

I didn,t spot that " EV  " , The OLD Messerschmitt is an,OLD TWO STROKE, smoked like a chimney.

Yes l put " is  " because there is a few still running around.

spacesailor

Never worry Spacey ... its the new century and the ELECTRIC Messerschmitt is starting delivery in Germany next month.  Only 5kw motor and at best 90kph but thats pretty much what the original did and less smoke to do it.

http://messerschmitt-werke.de/lang_en/kr_E.php

• Informative 1

1268449763_electrictaxi1890s.thumb.jpg.5c6ebff9ddbb78d427a4ba008c696c23.jpg.93e601b8ce82b4694528b516977cd5ec.jpg

Yep, this is where 130 years of evolution of the electric town car has got us  ....   ;- )

But to bring us back to doh:

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

Or thermal solar direct to liquid hydrocarbon fuels to use in existing IC engines.  An example fo the technology spin off from research out of Zurich:

https://synhelion.com/technology

May be years away but if more countries around the world price carbon into hydrocarbon from crude oil this cycle becomes not only possible but price competitive.

And I wager that is will always be easier to fill an airliner with liquid fuel to burn in existing engines than it will be to get all the infrastructure and equipment change required to move over to battery/other stored electric forms of running an airliner on electric alone - the energy density of hydrocarbon liquid fuels is just SO high it is not funny.

Edited by kasper
correction of typing and additional comment
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1