Electric Rag and Tube

Garfly

1 hour ago, Flightrite said:

Just a novelty contraption:-)

Yeah, like this one?   ;- ))   

download.jpg.dae21eda117f0ea6cfe1e2784c1e1b09.jpg

Nah, but let's face it, little aeroplanes, as we know 'em - and their highly skilled captains - are as near the edge of extinction as the dirty donks that pull (and push) 'em along.

612390536_BlackFly.thumb.png.7b8ea6eb039f1f3fca4f13e8daa8911f.png

But that ain't gonna bother your average recreational flyboy.

Edited by Garfly
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Visibility from the cockpit looks a bit compromised. People will want to land these in their large backyard,  what could possibly go wrong. Bird strike on a propeller? 

3 hours ago, Thruster88 said:

Visibility from the cockpit looks a bit compromised. People will want to land these in their large backyard,  what could possibly go wrong. Bird strike on a propeller? 

It'd have to be a deaf and blind bird who couldn't get out of the way of that thing.

Seriously though I reckon the software would be set up to recognise the uncommanded loss of an engine and compensate with the other 7.

• Like 1

Why the big fat fuselage given there is only a 200lb payload? It can't be full of batteries or the thing would never get off the ground. It sort of lands vertically on the rear wheels & then flops down like a beached whale. Weird.

• Agree 1

I had a look on the Opener website. It is basically a drone that you control from the inside but only if you weigh 90 KG or less. Press a button & it goes home. It floats but there is no clip of it actually landing on water. It can't be flown in the rain & sounds like a swarm of blow flies, hence the name I guess. The international version has about 60km of range. In cruise mode visibility is excellent but in landing/takeoff configuration you can only see the sky.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, pmccarthy said:

The shape for landing is quite clever. It gives an effect of shock absorption by landing on its tail and then rolling forward. Saves the weight of oleos or whatever.

...Apart from the fact you just landed on someones car/shed/insert-object-of-your-choice, that you didn't/couldn't see, because of a lotal lack of forward vision, when you were descending bum-first to the landing area.....

I am curious as to why the stunning demo pilot did not turn down wind and land back at the takeoff spot. Not really a convincing demonstration. There may have been a technical glitch, always fly safe.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...