Electric Rag and Tube

Garfly

Hey,s it,s getting Bad for parking ( free ) In most Australian cities now, just look at the number of workers traveling with only one person in the car.

WHY did the government make " giving a lift " ride sharing,  illegal? .

spacesailor

The EV revolution is here whether you like it or not. EVs of the future will hardly resemble what is on the market today. New technology is always expensive. Mass production resolves that. At present battery technology is changing at breakneck speed but each new improvement is expensive. 

When you get dinosaurs like Morrison telling everyone we need a gas fuelled future and Tradies like a bit of grunt in their utes it is obvious he has 1 No idea and 2 is chained to the fossil fuel industry.

Australia is one of the sunniest places on earth and could easily produce hundreds of times the amount of energy to replace the entire ICE national fleet with EVs and hydrogen powered vehicles. There is no doubt that this will happen if we don't stuff up the environment first. Every vehicle manufacturer in the world is working towards an EV future. Many countries have already specified dates when new ICE vehicles will no longer be allowed to be sold.

Arguing the toss about range, rural viability, cost etc is looking at the present and the past. Forward thinking organisations and governments are driving the change (Check out Norway) and it must come if we are to survive into the next century. Australia is well placed to cash in on all of this except that we have a fossil fuelled leadership hell bent on keeping us tied to the past.

• Agree 3

Lived in the bush all my life.......not many tasks an EV can do outside high density population areas.  Not to mention the cost which would not be viable.

WHY is Australia not supporting these Solar Panel Manufacturers?

https://www.tindosolar.com.au/

Because we buy cheap arse solar panels from China,  well guess what?

I am waiting for them to crap out big time in maybe 10-15-20 years time,  some have already.  Seen some for sale, tested them and they are below spec, 5 years old.
Price will dictate the speed of EV uptake,  want quality?

Then  be prepared to pay.......

Forget China........IF you can believe media and comments from some of the talking heads in Govt......a War is not far off.

IF/WHEN that happens, EVs will be the last thing on your mind 😞

OUT BUSH.

When camping is the only time l go Solar powered. the thought of a generator thumping away all day & night, would keep me awake.

l just can't afford those super LIPO4 batteries,  ( price that is ). Two starter in van, and two for inverter.

And they Don't work in the forest. ( solar panels ).

spacesailor

Everything you do in the bush was once done without fossil fuel based machinery. It just took a lot of manpower, horses, bullocks etc. New technologies and non polluting fuels will eventually replace fossil fuels. Even in the bush everyone has electricity thanks to solar panels, batteries and even small scale hydro.

One day you will be able to produce your own hydrogen in the bush with small scale electrolysis units that you will buy in the Bunnings of tomorrow for use in fuel cells to power many things, just like today you have petrol or diesel machines and generators. As Rachel Hunter once said "It won't happen over night but it will happen".

• Like 2

AND

If the reversal of the Earth's Magnetic field, renders our type of " electricity " useless, we will go back to the caveman era.

Engine starters will be crank handles, & blow torch to heat the head of stationary motors. like the vintage diesels of the museums.

The future is Not set in stone. ( l read somewhere ). 

spacesailor

1 minute ago, spacesailor said:

AND

If the reversal of the Earth's Magnetic field, renders our type of " electricity " useless, we will go back to the caveman era.

Engine starters will be crank handles, & blow torch to heat the head of stationary motors. like the vintage diesels of the museums.

The future is Not set in stone. ( l read somewhere ). 

spacesailor

The planet only has to hang together another 12 years or so......after that, I am probably outta here......

• Haha 1

scientist have said it Has happened in the dim past, and it's fluctuating again  at the present, they don't know if it's due to the sun or not.

BUT what happens if the natural magnetic flux on our electrical bits is reversed. Has anyone even looked into that scenario ?.

Due on the 1st of the...........

spacesailor 

Re Australia's fuel reserves, Facthunter is behind the times. When the oil price fell through the floor last year, the Govt stepped in and bought a huge amount of fuel for our national reserves.

The only problem is - they're storing it underground (in salt caverns) in the U.S. - because we don't have any major storage capacity here.

Seems like a bit of a wasted effort, ensuring we have major fossil fuel reserves and creating huge storage capacity for it, right now - when, everywhere else, the EV support network is what is being ramped up.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-22/government-to-buy-fuel-secure-national-stockpile/12173276

10 minutes ago, onetrack said:

Re Australia's fuel reserves, Facthunter is behind the times. When the oil price fell through the floor last year, the Govt stepped in and bought a huge amount of fuel for our national reserves.

The only problem is - they're storing it underground (in salt caverns) in the U.S. - because we don't have any major storage capacity here.

Seems like a bit of a wasted effort, ensuring we have major fossil fuel reserves and creating huge storage capacity for it, right now - when, everywhere else, the EV support network is what is being ramped up.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-22/government-to-buy-fuel-secure-national-stockpile/12173276

Soooo... Australia is buying fuel and then putting it back in the ground?

Is that the ultimate "direct action" by the coalition?  Paying US oil companies to extract oil then put it back?

(tongue is firmly in cheek, I know irony doesn't always come through online...)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, onetrack said:

And the US descends into anarchy and we lose the oil we paid for. 

Whose fault is it that we don't have the petroleum resources? Well, little Johnny Howard sold off our natural gas at 5 cents per litre. The international oil companies in the 1950s/60s failed to foresee the growth in the use of motor vehicles in Australia, so failed to develop refining capability. And finally, the NIMBYs then the Greenies whinged and moaned about having industrial plants within cooee of their dung heaps.

I remember when the Caltex oil refinery and storage facility was built at Kurnell on Botany Bay, my father saying that if it caught fire it would be like an atomic bomb. We lived 5 kms from it across Botany Bay. That was in the 60s, and he had seen oil storage facilities blown up during WWII, and then the atomic bomb tests, so they were his points of reference for that statement.

6 minutes ago, old man emu said:

And the US descends into anarchy and we lose the oil we paid for. 

Whose fault is it that we don't have the petroleum resources? Well, little Johnny Howard sold off our natural gas at 5 cents per litre. The international oil companies in the 1950s/60s failed to foresee the growth in the use of motor vehicles in Australia, so failed to develop refining capability. And finally, the NIMBYs then the Greenies whinged and moaned about having industrial plants within cooee of their dung heaps.

I remember when the Caltex oil refinery and storage facility was built at Kurnell on Botany Bay, my father saying that if it caught fire it would be like an atomic bomb. We lived 5 kms from it across Botany Bay. That was in the 60s, and he had seen oil storage facilities blown up during WWII, and then the atomic bomb tests, so they were his points of reference for that statement.

Oh no....I could have been blown to pieces, tsk tsk:-). In the early ‘70s I spent nearly every weekend riding the Kurnell sand hills on a Honda ATC90 trike,  during the week we drove Army LARCS all over them.  Surf entry’s at Wanda Beach to go fishing!.

Now, those sand hills are flatter than a Woolies car park 😞

6 minutes ago, jackc said:

I'm not a member of the First People Gweagal clan, which inhabited the Kurnell area, I am of that country spiritually as I was conceived and grew up there. It breaks my heart to see that those massive sand hills are laid flat, and covered with tar and cement. This song expresses how I feel 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Marty_d said:

Soooo... Australia is buying fuel and then putting it back in the ground?

Is that the ultimate "direct action" by the coalition?  Paying US oil companies to extract oil then put it back?

(tongue is firmly in cheek, I know irony doesn't always come through online...)

No it was a response to the scenario that there was a hiccup in the world oil supply, and some panic buying, and we only had x days supply that we owned. It was precautionary adjustment, just like all manufacturers do, and have perfected in these JIT stock days.

22 minutes ago, old man emu said:

I'm not a member of the First People Gweagal clan, which inhabited the Kurnell area, I am of that country spiritually as I was conceived and grew up there. It breaks my heart to see that those massive sand hills are laid flat, and covered with tar and cement. This song expresses how I feel 

LARCing around in the sand hills 🙂

B66B6F2A-3A65-48A9-8F31-332543688ABE.jpeg

1 hour ago, jackc said:

Oh no....I could have been blown to pieces, tsk tsk:-). In the early ‘70s I spent nearly every weekend riding the Kurnell sand hills on a Honda ATC90 trike,  during the week we drove Army LARCS all over them.  Surf entry’s at Wanda Beach to go fishing!.

In 1942 My Dad was transferred from Adelaide River not long after the Bombing of Darwin to the Kurnell area to act as a Turk in the "40 Thousand Horseman". Better than being strafed and bombed for a few months.

• Like 1

Europe is densely populated,  Australia is the most sparsely populated continent in the World.  The EV marketing plan will never get past that.

Market EVs here will always suffer a less than ideal uptake of the technology.

its a case of whether EV vendors can accept that.

I have to ask why all city based Govt car fleets are not totally EV?

• Like 1

In fact Australia is one of the most urbanised countries in the world with 89% of the population living in just a handful of urban areas with over half of the population living in just 3 cities & 18.7 million out of 25 million living in the 10 largest cities. So if you target the 89% or 22.3 million living in large urban areas and provide incentives as they do elsewhere the rate of uptake of EVs will overtake ICEs in no time. The problem is not the population but our dinosaurs that are tied to the interests  of the fossil fuel industry. Eventually that stance will come back to bite them hard.

• Like 2
  • Winner 1

16 minutes ago, kgwilson said:

In fact Australia is one of the most urbanised countries in the world with 89% of the population living in just a handful of urban areas with over half of the population living in just 3 cities & 18.7 million out of 25 million living in the 10 largest cities. So if you target the 89% or 22.3 million living in large urban areas and provide incentives as they do elsewhere the rate of uptake of EVs will overtake ICEs in no time. The problem is not the population but our dinosaurs that are tied to the interests  of the fossil fuel industry. Eventually that stance will come back to bite them hard.

You can lead a horse to water but you can’t  make it drink......

For human beings the are too many sectors of people with differing vested interests.

It is easier to try tow starting a concrete 747 and succeeding......than to convince any Govt to do anything.   Now if only we would make EVs here in Australia......

37 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

I thought there was/Is a company making an odd looking universal platform vehicle. 

spacesailor

Electric tow motors for Cessnas???   Well, IF something is being made then they dont have much of a PR campaign about.......not seen anything.