'Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines' • a wry history.

Parts of that movie were shot........in typical British shoestring style........at Booker aerodrome, near High Wycombe, where I grew up. At one point someone makes a forced landing into what is meant to be a sewage farm (typical British toilet humour, wot?), they made that by flooding a small plastic lined area and floating crushed cork on the top.

Booker was one of the surviving large round grass airfields (no vectors, just take off and land into wind, regardless of direction), also housed RAF Avro Ansons, which were used for navigation training, back when that was done with a sextant and an astrodome..........

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

And a healthy gliding club, too.  (At least there was in the  early 2000's when I spent a memorable summer learning the art).

• Like 1
10 hours ago, IBob said:

Booker was one of the surviving large round grass airfields (no vectors, just take off and land into wind, regardless of direction)

Sounds idyllic, but what about the "runway picture" for judging your descent?

Good question. Newcastle  (District Park) when I started was an all over field and very small, You don't get the "too high, too low" aspect of the straight sided runway but it's not hard to just land as short as safely possible and take it from there. Bankstown was one Long runway and the rest  was an all over field. My first time there I landed over the clubhouse and pulled up before the actual  field started. which looked pretty silly  An engineer who marshalled me to park commented "I don't have to ASK where you are from" The tiny field at Newcastle had got me trained for the short ones and we didn't waste runway. Nev

• Like 2