Garmin D2 Air

BirdDog

Hello all

just a quick question asking if anyone has the Garmin D2 Air and what they think of it etc?

OR

Any other aviation based watches you own. 

Thanks

J

I wouldn't contemplate owning such a tool. Garmin spend vast amounts on advertising and produce a so so product. If it is anything like the Garmin E Trex 10 it is rubbish. My grandson had a Garmin watch and considered it money wasted.

I've got one of the older Garmin D2's (the D2 Charlie). I use it everyday, it's a great all round watch and has all the fitness and heart rate monitoring etc. It's great for tracking flights and replaying them, it also links directly to Garmin online logbook and keeps the entry with the tracks etc. Some of the features are a little gimmicky and I suspect you wouldn't use them in flight, except perhaps the direct to feature if you had a power failure and were lost perhaps? 

It does take a while to learn all of the features and get used to it, plus if you haven't had a smart watch before you'll have to remember to recharge it. I think the build quality is better than the apple watch that my wife has. 

I have the d2 air, got it for Xmas. it’s been fantastic to date. I replaced an android watch with it and the battery life has  been a  revelation in comparison. I generally charge it once a week.

when you’re not using it for the air part it’s a standard Garmin fitness / smart watch so tracks all the relevant activities you do to your Garmin account / phone and gives your notifications etc. This is the divisive part as some people love the Garmin fitness watches and some hate them. Personally my other half hated hers (standard not d2) and returned it in less than a week so I was apprehensive but thought I’d give it a go. As I was not used to something like fit bit the interface made sense and works well.

As per PommyRick, in the air tbh most of the features are a bit gimmicky but I use the utc time mark a lot, and the automatic logging of flight time once you get airborne is nice. I use the Garmin logbook as well for a backup to my paper one and it’s handy to see your flights mapped out, log pics etc. fuel tank reminder Is also nice.

I’ll also second the build quality.

overall I wouldn’t buy it just for flying but if you’re in the market for a smart watch and want it to be aviation smart as well, this will fit your bill.

Edited by MattP
Update
  • Like 1

Thanks lads,

I have an Apple Watch right now, so definitely like the smart watch side of things.

Thanks - I will give it some serious consideration.

Cheers

John

Hey lads.

Just a quick one - Does the D2 air support Wireless Charging, or do you need to plug it in?

I can't seem to find any information at all on it.  Would be a shame if it didn't!

It plugs in, USB charger. As I said it’s about once a week for me on average, so not too bad. Also you can update it wirelessly or via USB for the nav database updates. I think that’s standard for the Garmin smart watches as the plug is the same.

My last watch was wireless charge but used a proprietary mag connector so still a hassle as you still could not use a standard wireless charging pad. 

Either way at home we’re always doing the USB shuffle given none of the myriad of devices can share a freaking charging standard, although it’s somewhat better now apple has come to the party with USB c ports like most other manufacturers!

Edited by MattP
Update

Thanks Matt.

I think I will miss the wireless charging.  I use an apple watch on night stand mode!   It allows me to tap the bedside table and it lights up with the time.  Might not sound like much, but once you start using it, it's a bloody handy feature.