Looking for Larger size Logbook

Ace747

Hi Guys,

Years ago I bought a logbook made by ATC (Aviation Theory Centre) that was thicker than the standard logbook and aptly named "Professional Pilot's Logbook".

Its about 4 times the thickness of a standard ATC logbook.

Any ideas where I could pick up one of these logbooks ?

I have checked several online pilot stores in Australia to no avail.

Surely, someone still has supplies of this logbook.
Happy Flying.

Ace747 - Is this the same one you speak of, or is it a reduced size version? You gave no dimensions of the logbook you're seeking out.

The dimensions listed for this book, are 20.6 × 24.3 × 1.5 cm.

https://aviationtheory.net.au/shop/student-and-recreational/atc-pilots-logbook/

Edited by onetrack

Hey there mate.

Unfortunately not. It has the same height and length dimensions as the logbook you listed but the thickness is aprox 4cm. 

You have any other ideas??

Regards

Peter

I would imagine trying to find a bookbinder that's still in business in todays world, would be a task in itself. Virtually all the local ones I previously knew to be in business, have folded.

Sort of like engine reconditioners, they're difficult to find today, and they rely on "historic" or "preservation" work to survive.

• Like 1

Thanks Nev and Onetrack

It sounds like I'll have to contact ATC directly and see whether they can source me one of the original large logbooks from somewhere.

It sounds like a very slippery slope going down the book binding trail. 

I dont know why ATC stopped making them. They were a wonderful alternative for pilots racking up a lot of hours.

Edited by Ace747
  • Like 1

To be clear I had an original large one leather covered and it was sourced via probably DCA. Their ref C.A 7/ (LARGE) I'm only presuming that as that's what is on the next one (Uncovered) so I can see it. That was superseded by Dept of Aviation DA7 (Rev 2/86). Someway through that I went to decimal  minutes logging and had to  anotate each page to that effect.  To go from one book to the next you gave to do a summary and transfer that info to the front of the  next book . Changes are better adjusted to by using the latest or most suited for your operations format at that time.. My first book looks like a tatty mess.. Filled  in 16 years. How much detail you write and how many different planes  and students you fly with in one day will have a bearing on this. i put in the bare minimum usually which I perhaps regret sometimes when trying to check which flight something remarkable happened... Nev  

• Like 1

The basic problem is everything is geared to reducing paperwork, and ensuring that everything is recorded electronically. This has many beneficial advantages to Govts and bureaucracy.

They can collate information simply by linking electronic databases, and they no longer need to rent/build large warehouses to keep mountains of paper records and files.

Information is easier to track down electronically. 'CTRL', 'F' is the godsend of our age, I do not know how we previously survived without it.

Paper producers, printers, bookbinders and all the associated jobs and skills are a dying industry. Even diaries are becoming harder to find each year.

I found after about 15 yrs of solid keyboard work, my handwriting skills were starting to decline - so I've decided to keep a daily, handwritten diary to ensure my handwriting skills don't deteriorate to the point where I'm mistaken for a doctor.

However, it's rather amazing how much room even as little of 8 years of diary storage, takes up. 

Thanks guys for elaborating on the DCA logbooks.

I'll give them a look also.

Yes technology is a double sided sword.

Its much quicker and cleaner, but it lacks the true grit and character of hand written information.

I for one love the logbooks and would never want to convert it all electronically. 

I know my logbooks will be thrown in the trash when I depart this earth, but in the mean time I enjoy seeing the stack

of books which represent all the service I have given (and continue to give) to aviation!.

For that reason alone, my collection of logbooks serve as a symbol of gratitude and inspiration to do more to help others.

Sorry for the soapbox spiel but its the truth as I see it. 

Thanks for all your insights and keep the ideas coming if you have them.

Pete

• Like 2

AHH 

Those logbooks of the departed !,

Some of us none flyers would love to read about the exploits of those that DID !.

A bit like reading the Old Biggles comics of yesterday, ( should have some very good reading ).

My one book with one page will Not make for good reading. LoL

spacesailor

4 hours ago, Ace747 said:

I for one love the logbooks and would never want to convert it all electronically. 

I hear you, I’m onto my 10th logbook, that’s in nearly 41 years of flying, recently resigned & opted for early retirement, once I get out of hotel quarantine I’m looking forward to more pen entries logging my Foxbat time. PS when I was in the RAAF some of our guys did the combined logbook option, leather bound with gold embossed name & wings on the cover & it looked stunning, I did a google search for you & saw that there are 7 bookbinders located in Brisbane. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1