Interesting History On Air Services Australia?

jackc

First audit office report:

A key shortcoming in Airservices’ procurement policies and procedures is that they do not give appropriate emphasis to the use of competitive processes. In addition, Airservices routinely failed to adhere to its policies and procedures in procuring services from ICCPM. As a result, Airservices’ procurement of services from ICCPM, on an exclusively sole-sourced basis, did not deliver value for money.

Airservices demonstrated a lack of organisational commitment to the effective implementation of probity principles in respect to the ICCPM arrangements. It was reasonably foreseeable that Airservices’ contracting of ICCPM to assist with the OneSKY Australia project would give rise to perceptions of conflicts of interest and, potentially, actual conflicts of interest. But the ICCPM engagements were not effectively managed so as to ensure the OneSKY tender process was free of any concerns over conflict of interest that could impact on public confidence in the outcome.

https://www.anao.gov.au/work/performance-audit/procurement-iccpm-onesky-australia-program

Second audit office report:

The records of the evaluation process evidence that the successful tender was assessed to be better than the other remaining candidates from a technical and schedule risk perspective. It is not clearly evident that the successful tender offered the best value for money. This is because adjustments made to tendered prices when evaluating tenders against the cost criterion were not conducted in a robust and transparent manner. Those adjustments meant that the tenderer that submitted the highest acquisition and support prices was assessed to offer the lowest cost solution. It is also not clearly evident that the successful tender is affordable in the context of the funding available to Airservices and Defence.

https://www.anao.gov.au/work/performance-audit/conduct-onesky-tender

• Informative 2

44 minutes ago, kgwilson said:

Now why does this not surprise me? Government graft as per normal.

Here we are governed by regulations from an organisation who enforce compliance upon is.

I say its time for the  ‘empire to strike back’. whinging and moaning on forums gets nowhere except to spread good information from the more knowledgeable among us.

Time to:

Be decisive, right or wrong, make a decision. The road of life is paved with flat squirrels who couldn’t make a decision.

We need to do something.......I am not into becoming a flat squirrel 🙂

• Like 2

That's derived from a military based axiom of not procrastinating.  Dithering, indecisive etc. It's flawed as making the WRONG decision isn't a SENSIBLE option..  Confusion in the air is lethal.. IF you're overloaded  SIMPLIFY the situation. Ie What do I still have going for me NOW? and be deliberate and careful with your actions. What you DO should not ADD to your problem.. You can practice these things anywhere. At a table ....Define an issue of an inflight nature and write down your responses as they come and have a timescale. Then critically review it later or have some "trusted " Non dropkick mate with you. Leave your ego in the next room.  Nev

• Like 1

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

That's derived from a military based axiom of not procrastinating.  Dithering, indecisive etc. It's flawed as making the WRONG decision isn't a SENSIBLE option..  Confusion in the air is lethal.. IF you're overloaded  SIMPLIFY the situation. Ie What do I still have going for me NOW? and be deliberate and careful with your actions. What you DO should not ADD to your problem.. You can practice these things anywhere. At a table ....Define an issue of an inflight nature and write down your responses as they come and have a timescale. Then critically review it later or have some "trusted " Non dropkick mate with you. Leave your ego in the next room.  Nev

True decisions are made in real time under real circumstances....right or wrong.  Dithering can cause a decision being made under stress to be wrong, it’s being able to quickly realise that fact, and correct it. 

Or just simply not make any decision and suffer the consequences......

Throughout my career I was tasked with making numerous decisions and as my seniority increased so did the consequences of the decision especially when they affected the lives of many employees. I found that making a decision in a timely manner based on the best information available at the time was always better than procrastination even if after the fact it was ultimately not the best decision. Managers who procrastinated were left behind and failed to progress.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Well "Procrastination" is not a decision at all is it?  In Aviation the PIC is where the buck stops.  There's not usually time to call a meeting of middle management and take a vote. Command assessment came into some Airlines at five years of service. Maybe some got dealt with unfairly. Being decisive can  diminish with time and exposure to risk of a high order. . Some experienced chaps became "Nervous on a Fine Day" types and dropped out on a conversion to something 'Faster or more Complex" (higher workload).  The "Average" person has very little idea what Pilot's do. and there's always a pilot at the scene of the accident. Nev

• Haha 1

TIME

I found that was a problem in my training !.

being quite happy to dawdle along at 65 mph, not a lot of force on the controls at that speed,

And plenty of time to remember all that bumfish & BUMMMFITCHH stuff, along with radio procedures, ON FINALS. that old hands take for Granted.

Then the CFI wants to go home early and has you roaring along at 80 mph, All controls are heavier than used to.

,No time between going from one part of lesson to the next !. Getting behind with the radio And holding tightly to the joystick with Fingers crushing the transmit button ON. The CFI Not happy, 

Ho, for the Old days, without that fear of Not getting every thing in the right order, and to enjoy a sunday,s flying.

spacesailor

12 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

TIME

I found that was a problem in my training !.

being quite happy to dawdle along at 65 mph, not a lot of force on the controls at that speed,

And plenty of time to remember all that bumfish & BUMMMFITCHH stuff, along with radio procedures, ON FINALS. that old hands take for Granted.

Then the CFI wants to go home early and has you roaring along at 80 mph, All controls are heavier than used to.

,No time between going from one part of lesson to the next !. Getting behind with the radio And holding tightly to the joystick with Fingers crushing the transmit button ON. The CFI Not happy, 

Ho, for the Old days, without that fear of Not getting every thing in the right order, and to enjoy a sunday,s flying.

spacesailor

Do  that to me and I would tell the CFI to get out and walk.....AND I would find another instructor and/or flyings school.......

An instructor with a bad/wrong attitude should not be an instructor. I had one like that for 1 lesson, low flying & precautionary landings. I made mistakes & he got pissed off told me I wasn't doing things right etc & all that did was make me worse. In the end I went full power & climbed & he just said "where the hell are you going" I said one word "Home". I never spoke to him again & laid a complaint with the CFI. I was told I wasn't the first to complain but would be the last. He was fired, ended up in PNG & 3 months later flew into a mountain & died.

1 minute ago, kgwilson said:

An instructor with a bad/wrong attitude should not be an instructor. I had one like that for 1 lesson, low flying & precautionary landings. I made mistakes & he got pissed off told me I wasn't doing things right etc & all that did was make me worse. In the end I went full power & climbed & he just said "where the hell are you going" I said one word "Home". I never spoke to him again & laid a complaint with the CFI. I was told I wasn't the first to complain but would be the last. He was fired, ended up in PNG & 3 months later flew into a mountain & died.

Obviously your instructor was a ‘slow learner’ who sadly paid the ultimate price for his attitude 😞

ME 

Never flew again, just no confidence to waste my money on feathering flight-schools nest.

AND dropped both flying club plus RAA, Gave my wife a Trip overseas with my flying money.

Now have to get my Leg over !.

-THAT high cockpit combing, So I can dream of ' Soaring like an eagle '.

Watch those gauges, feel that vibration, and hear that Roar of the motor.

Ahh "such is life" ! 

spacesailor

The GRIN.JPG

Edited by spacesailor
ADD photo
  • Like 1

Who needs a flying school?   5 hours ‘youtube’ and you are ready to solo!   Don’t need a certificate to fly either, but it does  help 🙂

BUT

Were are the Flying fields that LET the UNLICENCED have a go.

I only know ONE !.

Well north of Dubbo NSW . yet it seems That I need to go & spend at least a couple of weeks there, just to run the Taxiing, from the first slow ( is it aiming were l point it ) run.

to that High speed pre-take-off run, that will get my Heart pumping like crazy.

The second one l found is !!

Fly in and Fly out. NO road to that out post. ( any takers for the ' Care takers ' job ( NOT HAD A HOLIDAY IN MANY YEARS  )) He said.

spacesailor

Edited by spacesailor
spelling
  • Winner 1

There are ‘underground’ flyers out there 🙂. They just need to get together and organise some clandestine ‘fly parties’ :-)

Could be great weekend fun, trailer your aircraft to the location and away you go!

Sound like fun......you betcha! 

53 minutes ago, jackc said:

There are ‘underground’ flyers out there 🙂. They just need to get together and organise some clandestine ‘fly parties’ 🙂

Could be great weekend fun, trailer your aircraft to the location and away you go!

Sound like fun......you betcha! 

You appear to be promoting illegal flying.

Just so you know, several ASA employees are very welcome regulars on here.

6 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

You appear to be promoting illegal flying.

Just so you know, several ASA employees are very welcome regulars on here.

Never be afraid to speak your mind, you are guilty of nothing until proven otherwise.

illegal is a sick bird 🙂
Understand we live in a real World, not a perfect one 🙂 

Had an instructor once who was only interested in money. She always was on the lookout for the next ab initio student she could fleece. But then she fitted right in to the club atmosphere at the time - the place became all about making money out of south asian students, locals, even if they were members, were regarded as a nuisance and an impediment to making money out of foreign students. The quality of instruction also became #@#@ as good, ethical instructors left, I even remember going on a refresher with a “south asian” instructor who I then discovered knew less about controlled airspace procedures than I did. The club was not interested in improving members flying skills or knowledge, just chasing $$$$ from overseas students.

Hiring a club aircraft for a week or touring became “difficult” because it “interrupted the training program”.

Needless to say, I did not renew membership. I wouldn’t piss on them today if they were on fire. Serves them right if Covid upset the applecart.

Edited by walrus
  • Like 1

Jackc, I have had the experience of attending an accident involving a “daredevil” pilot who flouted the law and common sense in a trike. All sorts of low level thrill seeking stunts..... until the motor stopped from lack of fuel and he crashed into a lake. Unfortunately he survived. His passenger didn’t. 

It is unclear what the law will do to him. Unlicensed, unregistered? You had better have your assets in your wife’s name...

• Agree 1

Unfortunately they are out there, my old flying school hired out their aircraft to a weekend pilot,  who managed to bend it and it was off for 4 months repairs and a 5 month arrival of an extra Aircraft too.   I was well in credit for instruction hours and Covid came along, hence I was unable to fly.   I could not claim my credit back as I was not returning to the school and last enquiry they said I owe them.......back through all my records and the credit stands.   What do I do, chew up money in legals, or treat it like a dog would ‘pee on it and walk away’.  

Hence I am running out of respect for a few people in Aviation adding a LAME who did a bodgy rubber replacement on my aircraft.   So, you wonder why I have a disrespect for some in aviation who break rules, don’t care, rip people off?

You wonder WHY people would do their own thing in aviation?   Well I will tell you WHY......they have had enough of the regulatory crap,  the fleece merchants and little goody two shoes cupcakes that think that the aviation world is near perfect and we should all just shut our mouths and comply.

Try this for a firewall penetration of fuel line 🙂

B71555B4-E44A-44BA-82A0-F6E4D9836F8F.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, walrus said:

Jackc, I have had the experience of attending an accident involving a “daredevil” pilot who flouted the law and common sense in a trike. All sorts of low level thrill seeking stunts..... until the motor stopped from lack of fuel and he crashed into a lake. Unfortunately he survived. His passenger didn’t. 

It is unclear what the law will do to him. Unlicensed, unregistered? You had better have your assets in your wife’s name...

First up, he took a passenger and that passenger lost his life  because of an idiot.   Anything I have ever done in this life I thought was a risk......was done by myself with as much risk mitigation as I could do.

My golden rule is NEVER to carry a passenger in my 19 reg aircraft......IF something goes wrong and being an amateur built aircraft something could go wrong........the buck stops with me, and me alone.

• Agree 1

Looks good to go..... Maybe a little PVC tape wrapped around the hose 😛.  

‘’Seriously, what’s wrong with a couple of AN - 6 fittings and a bulkhead connector?

image.jpeg.975db1e4503ab3dfa3db9583ea6cdc07.jpeg

• Agree 1