Those ailerons.

F10

Flying my Gazelle, it’s the first time I’ve experienced the Ju87 Junkers type ailerons. I was fascinated to see there is no adverse aileron drag, which makes sense aerodynamically. Adverse yaw is caused by differential lift induced drag, caused by the camber change (lift) of the deflecting conventional ailerons. These ailerons do not cause a camber change. They also won’t induce a tip stall if used when the wing is at high AoA or Alpha, not bad! They in essence are flat plates, (symmetrical little aerofoils), operating according to Newton 3. This is tricky, as I have years of ingrained muscle memory, in making a dab on the rudder, as I roll into a turn, to counter adverse yaw, now not there!  What is needed, is a slower progressive input, as the bank angle is reached, enough merely for balance in the turn. At this stage, I’m pretty much in balance....for that brief period when the ball flashes through the centre marks!🥸 Will have to just hand an airsickness bag to my pax, before we start turning! But they say, practice makes perfect.

Edited by F10
  • Like 1

Done a lot of flying in them. There's STILL some extra drag. There has to be. You ARE getting extra lift as you roll from your little extra "wings" and it's not as good an L/D as the large wing is.. The wing is under cambered so don't ever get too fast with much load on it or it will come off. by twisting. One strut gets in compression and the jury strut bends..  The plane is actually too easy to fly and when you get back in a "normal" one you feel as if you've forgotten how to fly properly..  Nev

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

Done a lot of flying in them. There's STILL some extra drag. There has to be. You ARE getting extra lift as you roll from your little extra "wings" and it's not as good an L/D as the large wing is.. The wing is under cambered so don't ever get too fast with much load on it or it will come off. by twisting. One strut gets in compression and the jury strut bends..  The plane is actually too easy to fly and when you get back in a "normal" one you feel as if you've forgotten how to fly properly..  Nev

My CH701 also has the Junkers type ailerons and I definitely need rudder into the turns! So I agree with you on that one Nev (Not to say I ever disagree with you !!!!)

You need to read posts. Yes, you need rudder in the turn for balance..... but it seemed to me, not that rudder input you need as you simultaneously apply aileron. From what I saw when relaxing my feet on the pedals and rolling the Gazelle, I saw no typical indication of adverse aileron yaw on the balance ball. Normally you will clearly see balance ball movement showing a slight out of turn yaw, very shortly after applying aileron. I've demonstrated adverse aileron yaw to many students, using a slightly rapid aileron application, which makes the ball movement more noticeable. This thing about the Gazelle being "too easy to fly", I totally dis-agree with that. I've flown a Eurofox (looks almost identical to a Gazelle), and 11 (motor glider included) different types of SE typical GA aircraft and you most certainly won't "forget how to fly properly" after flying a Gazelle. Look at it this way, Gazelles were built originally for flying schools, as trainers wwere they not? Most were VH registered. Like mine VH-IOP. You would be a pretty poor businessman if you invested a large amount in setting up a factory in Caboolture, to build aircraft as "GA trainers", that "were so easy to fly, you forgot how to fly properly" if jumping into something else. That makes NO sense. As for a docile stall, well plenty of aircraft have that. Try leaving 2000RPM on your Gazelle when you stall it and be unbalanced....then tell me how "docile" in the stall it was.  

27 minutes ago, F10 said:

You need to read posts. Yes, you need rudder in the turn for balance..... but it seemed to me, not that rudder input you need as you simultaneously apply aileron. From what I saw when relaxing my feet on the pedals and rolling the Gazelle, I saw no typical indication of adverse aileron yaw on the balance ball. Normally you will clearly see balance ball movement showing a slight out of turn yaw, very shortly after applying aileron. I've demonstrated adverse aileron yaw to many students, using a slightly rapid aileron application, which makes the ball movement more noticeable. This thing about the Gazelle being "too easy to fly", I totally dis-agree with that. I've flown a Eurofox (looks almost identical to a Gazelle), and 11 (motor glider included) different types of SE typical GA aircraft and you most certainly won't "forget how to fly properly" after flying a Gazelle. Look at it this way, Gazelles were built originally for flying schools, as trainers wwere they not? Most were VH registered. Like mine VH-IOP. You would be a pretty poor businessman if you invested a large amount in setting up a factory in Caboolture, to build aircraft as "GA trainers", that "were so easy to fly, you forgot how to fly properly" if jumping into something else. That makes NO sense. As for a docile stall, well plenty of aircraft have that. Try leaving 2000RPM on your Gazelle when you stall it and be unbalanced....then tell me how "docile" in the stall it was.  

Factory was in Caloundra! Had to visit it years ago for an aileron hanger repair kit.