Dick Smith's open letter

He doesn't hold back, does he? He could've added a couple of pages, and pointed out that there is never any independent examination of CASA's performance, rules, regulations, rulings and red tape - nor any examination of the size of this bureaucracy in this day and age, when aviation has declined substantially in numbers and aircraft movements, meaning a lot of people within CASA must have very little to do - except think up more rules and regulations. Talk about an untouchable job for life.

Edited by onetrack

Great letter but the problem is of course it is to a politician and we all know stuff like that just slides off their back like a runny sh$t.

The current minister is hopeless as well...Mccormak is just as useless. There will not be any changes that actually make a difference in CASA until the minister responsible actually takes a interest.

• Winner 2

In which state is John Anderson wanting to get elected to the senate.  I need to know so that I don't accidentally vote for him.

I do like the size of Dick Smith's gonads!

17 hours ago, onetrack said:

To understand what's going on here there are a few hundred pages to read. I've forgotten the detail, but I think the problem was Dick's dream was about to cost every Australian a chunk of his income tax.

Dick's never been one to hold back. On balance, aviation  is better for his input moreso if he had  been given a fair go, The front Page on their magazine was  

DICK SMITH.. YOUR NEW HEAD.

when he commenced his tenure. He is not an "Up Himself" Pilot either.   Anderson  deserves to answer for HIS  non performance... IF it was described in much error no doubt there would be some legal action pending. That seems to be latest  TRICK to scare off criticism..Nev

• Like 2

I'm a fan of both John Anderson and Dick Smith, and this letter from Dick seems rather pointless.

Why rip into a politician who retired 14 years ago, and hasn't actually been responsible for that portfolio since 2005.

It's been 16 years and there have been 6 other ministers in that time , including the current opposition leader, who held the position for nearly 6 years and achieved just as little in aviation.

Dick's ripping into Anderson is because Anderson is considering standing for a political seat again, and it is a preemptive move to stop Anderson from being elected again, and thereby again becoming a politician in charge of aviation.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

It's not a matter of achieving little. As Dick explains good projects were cancelled. Safety was compromised, also Anderson is seeking to rise from the ashes.  One tends to think IF John's the answer, just what was the question? Bar QLD the Nationals are almost Invisible. Barnaby hates Big Mac. Farmers hate fracking and Coal. and are increasingly aware of Climate issues affecting their immediate future.  Nev

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That was one helluva letter, but it appears to have been a little too late... I am sure he had sparring words when he was in charge of CASA. I hope the letter is published well beyond AOPA, otherwise it won't make one iota of difference to the electorate.

Edited by Jerry_Atrick

These days many people complain about things they don’t like vigorously, but most just sit on the hands and do NOTHING.

One man can never win a war……..

• Agree 1

Perhaps it is time for John Anderson to interview Dick Smith.

I suspect our Mr Smith is one of those “challenges that will not go away”... 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UJjhh939LD0

The problem with Anderson is that he's cut from the same privileged squatter mold as Malcolm Fraser. His aims are to ensure protection of his Primary Industries, from which he gains all his income, and in which area his family have been intrinsically involved with, since the 1840's. He has as much interest in aviation problems as the average neddies punter in the street.

He can utter lots of soothing words and patter, and promote himself as the countrys leadership answer - but the problem is simply that his track record is one of only looking after his favourite rural industries.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Yesterday's man if he ever was . Vested Interests motivate these types and most others to a point. You need someone with an inclusive vision for the whole country and intelligence. I think both Menzies and Whitlam has those qualities. Menzies UAP was nothing resembling the current LNP. Nev

• Agree 2

Back in those days politicans had visions...now their only vision is how to stay in government not what is best for the country and its peoples. Even though Gough was a raving commie although not a full marxist commie he had the vison to take the country forward but never got a chance to make it possible

• Like 1

Going off his YouTube interview series “Conversations With John Anderson” I’d say He is taking a new approach to things. He comes across as far more intelligent then I once thought.

Edited by Flying Binghi

3 hours ago, nomadpete said:

He's a politician. Maybe he got a new script writer?

Don’t appear to be scripted as such. More like a few discussion subjects outlined then spend an hour or so exploring.

Some of the people he has sat down with are: Kim Beazley, Peter Costello, Brett Weinstein, Bjorn Lemberg, Jenny Stanger, and many others.

https://m.youtube.com/c/JohnAndersonConversations/videos

15 hours ago, Flying Binghi said:

Going off his YouTube interview series “Conversations With John Anderson” I’d say He is taking a new approach to things. He comes across as far more intelligent then I once thought.

He is; the descriptions above aren't correct; he cares about a lot more than his property.

I once got him to stop a half billion dollar spend of taxpayer money on a problematic development by laying out the pros and cons in detail.

He had to give up parliament in the last stint due to prostate issues; long meetings can be near impossible to handle.

This time he's standing for the Senate, the House of the people, so if he gets up his job would be quite different.

• Informative 1