Fuel collector tank.

F10

The Gazelle has a fuel collector tank, fed by the two wing tank lines. The collector then feeds through to the engine, via the electric booster pump and the fuel cock, to the engine. The system will feed with booster off, the engine pump delivering enough fuel to the Bing carbs. The collector tank is encased in a fibreglass casing, I presume providing leak protection. I have noticed when draining the fuel from the collector tank drain, during a pre-flight, the fuel seems slightly dark in colour, as if corrosion discoloured possibly? Draining another sample seems to improve this. I haven’t checked my maintenance manual yet, but is this tank steel? Stainless steel? Is it possible to have an aluminium one made? Anyone taken one out, apart as such?

Well, to add....I see the tech manual says it’s an aluminium tank...so, no corrosion. Fuel does appear on that first drain to be slightly darker coloured...will investigate further I guess. We’ve replaced all fuel hoses, but will double check if we replaced the tank to fuselage drain cock hose...