On 23/06/2021 at 2:09 PM, Garfly said:

Yes, and it seems to me that the importance of those checks is less to do with airspeed indication per se and more to do with the confusion/distraction that can come when confronted with anomalous data.  Confusion begets fear/panic which begets rationality melt down.  It's especially perilous near the ground, of course, and with low-time flyers.

Which reminds me of this recent Dan Gryder video about what happens to instructors when they have a student "lock-up" on them.

I was a fan of a previous video that this guy did. Talking about a pilot shortage meaning that they take anybody AND talking about specific crashes with students frozen at the controls is really unfair IMHO. 

As far as I know there is no way to select out students who will freeze at the controls. I read about a B36 pilot who was well regarded who froze under difficult conditions. I read about a military jet pilot being instructed who froze.  

As for the instructor. If you can’t overpower the student, you will have to stab them in the eye with a biro. Does any instructor know to do that? 

When I did my basic training for VH we did a few circuits with the ASI taped over. When I were doing my NGT training circuits, on a full moon night of 8 octa’s severe clear, the instructor sticky note failed the ASI. I assumed it were just part of basic training ? 

When you know your machine power and attitude = ...

9 hours ago, APenNameAndThatA said:

I was a fan of a previous video that this guy did. Talking about a pilot shortage meaning that they take anybody AND talking about specific crashes with students frozen at the controls is really unfair IMHO. 

As far as I know there is no way to select out students who will freeze at the controls. I read about a B36 pilot who was well regarded who froze under difficult conditions. I read about a military jet pilot being instructed who froze.  

As for the instructor. If you can’t overpower the student, you will have to stab them in the eye with a biro. Does any instructor know to do that? 

I am not an instructor but I know how to correct someone who might be interfering with the dual controls. You hit them in the throat with all the force you can muster like it is the fight of your life.