Aviation design reinvented?

If you dont watch Mike Patey on Youtube then you should. he is a incrediblely talented guy. He has a passion for aviation like no other...and he puts his own money where his mouth is. We have all been waiting for this video because we know how good this guy is. feast your eyes on this gem and listen to the explanation  

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1

Love this aircraft,  old school big block Lycoming (with some enhancements)  combined with modern technology like the BRS parachute system. Draco was impressive but this is next level. I am sure it won't appeal to Skippy😂

• Haha 1

Insanely intricate design and machining!

Much simpler to copy birds, with a few large feathers making up the outer wing. Able to be slightly twisted to control roll and to be spread to massively vary the outer wing area.

Now all I have to do is develop incredibly light, strong, self-repairing feathers…

• Haha 1

Wow! Quite the craftsman. Admiration all round but  from an aircraft efficiency perspective, sadly a lost sole.

I am also impressed by the engineering/technology that goes into a military tank - as long as someone else is footing the bill I wouldn't refuse "a blast aground the block" - wouldn't want to own one.

He is a very rich man..and his brother...mind you it has all been made with his own mind and his work ethics

He did relate a long time ago how he started when they were kids...he and his brother ran their own company with around 200 plus employees when they were literally still teenagers...Mark Patey is his twin brother.

He truly is a self made gazillionaire

Oh and he never graduated from college over there either

It will be fantastic just to watch it fly. Incredible workmanship (via the CNC machines) & more weight saving holes than I've ever seen. I wonder though how heavy the whole wing will be in the end.

I watched the latest issue last night - double slotted leading edge -oh my! I’m fascinated. It will be interesting to see how the old rule applies: “There ain’t no such thing as a free lunch” - there is going to be a compromise somewhere.

‘’The complexity of the ingenious linkages is a concern from a reliability perspective, also the rib design and manufacture. The design looks very elegant and the construction ingenious.

My concerns now are aeroelasticity - friction, flutter, etc. Fatigue in all that lovely cnc machined lacework and failure modes.

‘’For fatigue, I’d be tempted to shot peen (or equivalent) everything, although I know it doesn’t matter on this “one off” special which has a short life anyway.

I’d like to know the loads in the actuation system because the torque tube will twist (wind up) a little and you want everything to stay in alignment under load. Similarly friction in the actuation system when the wing is loaded - there should be self aligning bearings everywhere. 

Failure modes? Flap asymmetry will kill you. How do you guard against it?

I could go on…..but for me watching this series is like a cook watching Masterchef - highly addictive.

Mike is a unbelievably smart guy and using the software (Solidworks) he has it calculates the weight and stress on every part based of the material you use. It also does stress and flex..its a incredible program and also costs a lot of money. It is a industry standard software for everything including space and rockets etc.

He will know the total weight within grams for sure. The fuel tanks are masterpieces as well. The wing wont flex too much if you see the video he did on testing the spars he designed. I am sure he would have taken into account all those issues...he is very fastidiuos..almost ADHD about it. I have been watching him since he stared Draco...He says he doesnt sleep much and I would believe it..these sort of people go to bed and this is when all their ideas come to them tossing all the ways around inside while trying to go to sleep

As soon as I get the notification from Youtube he has a video released I watch it. if you are wanting to do any carbon/fibreglassing work his channel is must

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Talking of flap asymmetry,  nobody does with RAAus planes but you should consider it's effect and have a plan to handle it There are many ways to crash. A duplicated pitch management is essential too.. Nev

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

My concerns with asymetric flap are not on extension - I expect to see/feel any asymmetry as I extend the flap. 

My plans have always been - as were taught to me in AUF training last century - was to talk myself through the flap extension and positively confirm to myself both extension and pitch change as expected with being prepared to stop extension and retract if not happy - then go around and do flapless.  As flap extension always starts at circuit height I know if things are starting to go wrong with flaps I have height and time to deal.

My concerns are for either flap retraction in part or asymmetric once on final. 

My experience with an LSA55 Jab flap handle popping out in the early days scared the bejeezus out of me as it was uncommanded, unexpected and unpleasant.  That was WAY back in the Jab airframes history when the flap detents were just fibreglass and not even an ali plate ... the holes wore and out popped the flap handle with a spectacular drop from the air.

All I can say is if I was unexpectedly on final with asymetric flap retraction I am kicking in any and all rudder and dealing with either an untidy arrival (if very late final) or removing flap and powering up to go around.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

2 hours ago, Kyle Communications said:

Mike is a unbelievably smart guy and using the software (Solidworks) he has it calculates the weight and stress on every part based of the material you use. It also does stress and flex..its a incredible program and also costs a lot of money. It is a industry standard software for everything including space and rockets etc.

I don't doubt the guys dedication & knowledge but whether it all works will not depend on the programs but the nut behind the wheel. Plenty of aircraft and rockets still crash and burn.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Kyle Communications said:

if you are wanting to do any carbon/fibreglassing work his channel is must

I just watched the one about cutting his mould.  Good tip there about putting in inspection hatch / oil door, mostly cut out the part but while still attached, tape over the inside then lay up the carbon lip under it. Also drill for nut plates before doing the last cuts to release the piece.

Genius!