Aviation design reinvented?

Kasper, regarding flap asymmetry, in the absence of an asymmetry cutout circuit, I was taught always to extend flaps while straight and level. That way you will sense a failure as an uncommanded roll. If you extend flaps while turning you may not sense the failure until too late. 

Edited by walrus
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 2

9 hours ago, walrus said:

Kasper, regarding flap asymmetry, in the absence of an asymmetry cutout circuit, I was taught always to extend flaps while straight and level. That way you will sense a failure as an uncommanded roll. If you extend flaps while turning you may not sense the failure until too late. 

Nothing new there.  I extend flaps on downwind and then on base and final. I cannot recall ever extending them during a turn. 

IF  you are flying most days  of the week you will  probably do it.(Flaps and power changes in turns). Certainly with a racetrack circuit you will .Early training you avoid overloading  students till they have good proficiency. Flap assymetry is usually a failure of some linkage producing a roll result which is uncommanded. . Observing VFe limits and inspections are a place to start. It's a complex possibility  but as I see it treated by not mentioning it is the current situation. with RAAus training and some VH too... Being very attuned to your plane's normal feel and reactions when controls are moved is a help.. It could fail during extension or at ANY other time  flap is not fully UP as well. Nev

I want to see what his brother Mark is doing on his cub build,
Mike was all about power and the ability to do trips at high altitude take-offs.
Mark is all about weight and take-off performance for a competition STOL aircraft

• 2 weeks later...