So much for theory. Big Sky - Isn’t.

3 hours ago, Kenlsa said:

Switch on the GPS so the pilot can input the plan into the auto pilot to get to the destination.  All the while informing the passenger how great it is to be a LSA pilot.

V’s

Planing the trip on the kitchen table, marking the map and filling out the flight plan sheet. Then actually flying the plane and navigating as you go, all the while talking your way thru the steps as you keep a good lookout; impressing your passenger with your skills.

I know what system I prefer.

Ken

Both sound like great trips to me (whether or not Mr/Ms Pax ends up effusively impressed  ;- ) 

Truth be told, I'm not sure which one you're suggesting is clearly preferable. (The relaxed flight or the sportive one.)

Anyway, I guess most of us are operating happily between the two, these days. You still have to prepare the plan competently - with due regard to WX, terrain, airspace etc - whether you draw the course line or drag it; whether you spread out all over the kitchen table, or get nicely tucked up in bed with your tablet and a cup of tea; whether you intend to hand fly the mission or give the plan to George for him to figure out. 

I don't think anyone needs convincing, any more,  that there are more aviation uses for iPads, et al, than as glorified GPS units. Though that they certainly are (in the best sense). For example, IMHO, the SmartBrief feature in OzRWYs, alone, is worth the price of admission (saves you being up the whole night at that kitchen table - and, for all that, still launching in the morning with your data out-of-date  ;- )

Edited by Garfly
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1