Mountainside topdressing in NZ in a PAC Cresco (nee Fletcher)

17 hours ago, poteroo said:

I thought that one reason for his not using landing flap might just be the amount of debris damage you'd incur with a nosewheel type, (holding the nosewheel up in tail low attitude), as compared to wheeling a taildragger on, ( where full flap was kept higher off surface during the higher speed segment of the landing rollout).

I've always used full flap on landing, turbine/nosewheel/piston/tailwheel, never understood landing without flap. If the surface of the strip is that bad with rocks that it does damage you shouldn't be working off it. Full flap gives you a lot lower landing speed. Different pilots use different techniques. I'd rather land slower and just roll up to the dumpsite, easier on the gear. I think it's quicker too, you can land further up the airstrip because of the less braking distance. Yes you can use reverse but it's not nessacery, maybe just click into no thrust but not reverse.

12 minutes ago, Student Pilot said:

I've always used full flap on landing, turbine/nosewheel/piston/tailwheel, never understood landing without flap. If the surface of the strip is that bad with rocks that it does damage you shouldn't be working off it. Full flap gives you a lot lower landing speed. Different pilots use different techniques. I'd rather land slower and just roll up to the dumpsite, easier on the gear. I think it's quicker too, you can land further up the airstrip because of the less braking distance. Yes you can use reverse but it's not nessacery, maybe just click into no thrust but not reverse.

Are you on level strips, Student Pilot.........or steep uphill ones?

Edited by IBob

Jimbos explanation for no flap landing is better elevator authority, so with a steep strip especially towards the top he could pull the stick a long way back to reduce weight on the nosewheel and increase drag which for him anyway works better and the aircraft slows quickly.

I'm not saying what I do is "THE" way, it's just what I do and have done the last 40+ of AG flying. 30 years of that was Topdressing off all sorts of AG strips with all sorts of aircraft. I use full flap and slowest landing speed including very steep uphill strips.

• Like 1

I don't reckon there is any best way. Whatever works for you is the best way for you. It is just like using flap for takeoff. A lot of pilots use 1 notch or 10 deg for takeoff even if they are on a 5000 metre runway. I never use flap for takeoff except if the strip is very short, the grass is long or the ground is soft.