Please Support Lismore Airport...

3 minutes ago, Flying Binghi said:

Just put up some wind power generators around the airport. Nobody will notice the aircraft noise then...🙉🤫

Forgot about them; they drive people nuts with their noise, would never be allowed in the cities.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Andy, this is a planning issue so you would need to check what exactly is happening. An individual making a lot of posts on FB has no impact on an Airport If the person is putting up a Plann

Yeah, we've got a special type of Stupid Hippy here in Lismore - the sort the goes to a protest, but doesn't know what it's about until they get there (and apologies to all Hippies - there's plenty of

Morning All,   In the Northern Rivers of NSW, we have a situation that is close to every aviators heart: Local council having a go at aviators because we are an easy target.....  

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

Forgot about them; they drive people nuts with their noise, would never be allowed in the cities.

Nah... the Council will support it..😏

“...the Council engaged in the pretence of an investigation, sending one of its environmental officers to one of the complainant’s homes to “listen” to the noise for a few minutes and – rejecting a request to carry out indoor/outdoor noise measurements – claimed it was “not normal practice for Council to use noise level readings” to investigate noise nuisance complaints.

The Council claimed that all it had to do to satisfy its obligations under the Act was to send one of its officers to the complainants’ homes, listen for a few minutes (irrespective of whether the turbines were operating or not) and close the complaint.

Instead of carrying out anything like an investigation, the Council threatened the complainants that it would vigourously defend any legal action pursued by the complainants and chase them for the Council’s legal costs when it won. Otherwise, the Council simply ignored the complainants...”

https://stopthesethings.com/2020/08/25/victims-vindicated-farmers-victorious-in-landmark-legal-battle-over-wind-turbine-noise/

4 hours ago, Flying Binghi said:

What a complex subject! A possible solution would have been to buy up all the land around it, up to the edge of the noise complaints...

In terms of Aircraft noise, I see the biggest difference in having an established noise generator vs a new development. In terms of Lismore, we have substantially less noise than in the 80's and 90's, but the sensitivity to noise has substantially increased, especially by new member of the community who were never exposed to previous levels. All you have to do it look at what happened in the 2017 floods...new business owners in the CBD did not take it serious and post flood suffered the biggest losses.

The Public Health act is definitely something to consider though. If there is already a move against high amenity noise (can be very subjective, as Turboplanner pointed out), then ANY noise generating infrastructure is under thread.

I do agree that sometimes there is ways of mitigating issues, but in my experience with engineering, it's always a compromise. In the case of noise (being subjective) I fear that the compromise will not be logical and shared....God, I have turned into a cynic!

Relax - You've nothing to worry about!

If YLIS had a noise pollution problem https://lismore.nsw.gov.au/files/Fly-Neighbourly-Guideline.pdf was the response.

Air Services Australia would have been giving you a hard time by now if it hadn't gone away.

Closing a regional airport is a big deal - it's a strategic asset and the NSW and Federal Government would have something to say before they let a rogue council shut it down. Maybe have a whisper in your MPs ear? Who is the responsible Minister?

7 minutes ago, Ironpot said:

Maybe have a whisper in your MPs ear?

That would be Kevin Hogan MP....just checked out what he is at the moment: Minister for Local Government 🙂

I think he will need to be visited once the Covid restrictions in NSW are lifted....

4 minutes ago, Munger said:

That's what I warned you about Munger; suddenly information appears in publc which is not planning information, and you will finish up dealing with and emotional bushfire rather than an orderly planning process where the highest level decision-maker is the people's Tribunal.

• Informative 1
2 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

suddenly information appears in publc

I see your point. Unfortunately, us YLIS Aviators were too busy committing aviation until we were made aware of the March 2021 Draft Budget proposal...now it seem that every day we find stuff that has been out in the community for a while, creating this emotional anti-aircraft noise storm...

Counter attack by governance seems like a really good strategy into the future! Thank you for putting us wise to it, and I hope this will help others too in future.

One of the Lismore City councilors has made the following statement in an email:

"... There is much empathy with the residents affected by the noise of the touch and go and circuit training and I believe some want the airport closed as aviation is a significant user of fossil fuels."

This prompted me to have a look at the statistics and I was able to find some verifiable 2018 figures: Avgas was 0.15% of the total Road/Aviation fuel consumption in Skippiestan. Yes, Turbine Fuel was 22%, which admittedly, is a pretty significant figure...

Yet again, when the emotions run high, context and facts are obfuscated.

2018 Australian Annual Fuel Consumption by air and road transport type.JPG

• Informative 1

Morning All,

Does anyone know if an Airport or the decommissioning of a licensed airfield to unlicensed has an influence on the 'City' status of a town?

Hope you are all well!

19 minutes ago, Munger said:

Morning All,

Does anyone know if an Airport or the decommissioning of a licensed airfield to unlicensed has an influence on the 'City' status of a town?

Hope you are all well!

No it's  unrelated

• Informative 1
  • 1 month later...