Covid 19

If you get a chance to fly, then take it to try and keep current.

‘’I have been lucky enough to have a few friends and acquaintances who are closely connected with the pandemic. I was warned last March of what was to come and I have had occasional updates since.

‘’We knew three weeks ago that if Sydney  experienced more than 60 community transmission infections then they would lose the whole State. That has now occurred. Lockdowns won’t work anymore because contact tracing and testing is about to be overwhelmed and thus become pointless. That is why the NSW Premiere asked for more vaccines yesterday. That (mass vaccination) is the only solution from now on. 

This is the current sitrep.

Indications are now that the neighboring states will fail to keep the delta virus from spreading - there are not enough police to maintain a “hard border” anywhere.  The various states will try but they may not succeed. More lockdowns are expected. If you get a chance to fly, take it. There may not be many opportunities.

NSW is preparing for a lockdown until Christmas 2021. Companies with Major logistics operations in NSW have been advised to get as much as possible of their stock, equipment and employees out of the state and to operate from Victoria or Queensland for the foreseeable future.

If you are given the opportunity to be vaccinated, take it. AZ is perfectly acceptable as a product. You don’t need to wait for Pfizer, you need vaccination NOW.

Ignore the anti vax stupid people and the ‘freedom” protest mob. Within three weeks those unvaccinated folk are going to be sick as dogs. Furthermore, it will become blindingly obvious to all but the chronically cretinous* that the hospitals are full of unvaccinated people - starting with the idiots who went to the superspreader events called demonstrations.

* The chronically cretinous will maintain that their unvaccinated supporters have been deliberately poisoned by chemtrails/ gates/soros/ illuminati.

Main message : get vaccinated now if you can, then hold on for a very wild ride.

• Like 4
  • Agree 7
  • Caution 1

I knew you were going to say this even before you did! The little chip you had implanted during your injection told me.

Seriously, I agree with you. It is now gone too far not to get vaccinated

I don't understand how people or organisations with a public voice can get away with advocating that people not get vaccinated. It's not just irresponsible, it borders on criminal. It also ensures this whole mess will be prolonged and exacerbated as the unvaccinated incubate new and more virulent mutations.
However, those who refuse to get vaccinated will help thin the gene pool of some of the stupidity that is circulating these days. I think that when allocating health resources for COVID victims, priority should be given to those who've chosen to be vaccinated. The others? Well, they chose to take their chances…

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, planesmaker said:

399 reported deaths to TGA from Covid vaccine, makes one wonder if we are going the right way. 

actually 5

"Since the beginning of the vaccine rollout in Australia, a total of five deaths from TTS have been reported out of 6.1 million doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine. All of them were related to a first dose of the vaccine".

https://www.tga.gov.au/periodic/covid-19-vaccine-weekly-safety-report-22-07-2021

Edited by octave
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

5 deaths, but 87 cases of severe clotting... 

This brings the total number of cases of TTS to 87 from 6.1 million doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine administered to date. 

I guess that's ok if you're not one of those 92 people...Given a relative had severe clotting and was on anticoagulants for it for the rest of their life to prevent a potential repeat. For a pilot, if you hold a Class 1, you can only fly Multi-Crew, so no more taking your family for a jolly on the weekend, or an evening sunset flight around Sydney. No ferrying a 182 or Chieftain by yourself, you'll always need a (rated) Coey...

For my Cat 1 Rail Medical (virtually equivalent to a Class1), if the treatment is deemed stable, you can be issued a medical, having been deemed Fit for Duty, Subject to Review but typically only for a 12 month (not 5 year) period, but there's no guidance on what would actually be deemed stable - so I might lose my medical for a year or two until that occurs.

I think I'll take my chances with Covid for the moment. Out here in regional NSW I'm more at risk of dying in the RV than catching Covid at present, and until that risk/reward balance significantly changes I can't see that mindset changing either.

• Caution 3

36 minutes ago, KRviator said:

5 deaths, but 87 cases of severe clotting... 

I guess that's ok if you're not one of those 92 people...Given a relative had severe clotting and was on anticoagulants for it for the rest of their life to prevent a potential repeat. For a pilot, if you hold a Class 1, you can only fly Multi-Crew, so no more taking your family for a jolly on the weekend, or an evening sunset flight around Sydney. No ferrying a 182 or Chieftain by yourself, you'll always need a (rated) Coey...

For my Cat 1 Rail Medical (virtually equivalent to a Class1), if the treatment is deemed stable, you can be issued a medical, having been deemed Fit for Duty, Subject to Review but typically only for a 12 month (not 5 year) period, but there's no guidance on what would actually be deemed stable - so I might lose my medical for a year or two until that occurs.

I think I'll take my chances with Covid for the moment. Out here in regional NSW I'm more at risk of dying in the RV than catching Covid at present, and until that risk/reward balance significantly changes I can't see that mindset changing either.

A Couple of weeks ago the Victorian media was full of outraged regional peope who were complaining aoubt their businesses being shut down when they are so far away from Melbourne, and "covid is never going to come out here" Within a couple of days the Delta strain had zapped towns right through Victoria wit record numbers f people lining up for testing in Mildura.

So far two airlines have spread it into regional NSW.

With what you outlined, I'd be getting the Pfizer, especially since NSW seems to have blown it with people just not understanding what their obligations in a lockdown are.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Arron25 said:

There is a much greater risk of blood clots from more common medicines like Aspro or oral contraceptive , but that of course does not maker Media Headlines so will remain unreported...

When you consider that to date 6.1 million  doses have been given in Australia it certainly compares favourably with many other activities we undertake.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, planesmaker said:

399 reported deaths to TGA from Covid vaccine, makes one wonder if we are going the right way. 

Maaaate ! - the figure you quote is for deaths associated with recent CV19 vaccination -  actual confirmed deaths resulting in the rare blood clotting,  you can count on one hand - it comes out at about 1 per million doses.

This figurer can be for any age or comorbidity ie if a 95 year old dies after vaccination/blood clotting, this is still counted as a CV19 death.

My point is: If you are in good health, have no factors which might make you susceptible to dying from a CV19 "reaction" (comorbidities, extreme age, supressed immunity, etc etc) your chances of having a bad reaction is minute - probably more dangerous to drive to the clinic.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, KRviator said:

Given a relative had severe clotting and was on anticoagulants for it for the rest of their life to prevent a potential repeat.

If you want blood clots, try COVID 19. Clots are a common problem. It seems to have significant effects on the circulatory system, with inflammation of blood vessels etc. Just about any part of your body with lots of blood flow can be affected. Heart damage, lung damage, brain damage, kidney failure all seem to be common. Even COVID toes and erectile disfunction. Of course death is also a common symptom. It was reported recently that cognitive impairment (i.e. brain damage) is seen in many survivors, including people who had mild or asymptomatic infections.

This is a disease that you DO NOT want to catch. It seems like it will cause ongoing health problems in some people for decades. You are far more likely to lose your medical due to COVID organ damage than side effects of the vaccine.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

First ; My apologies, to that part of Australia, outside the Greater Sydney Area, impacted by the inept performance of our NSW Government, for their failure to contain the CV19 delta virus.

Lockdown! What lockdown (in NSW)?

Its been a joke from the beginning, when the unvaccinated/masked limo driver transporting high risk flight crews to/from their accommodation to airport caught the wog & passed it on. (This is when a proper lockdown would have had a high chance of success)

Good old Gladys (Scomos best buddy) tried (not very hard) to contain the virus by basically asking people to voluntarily isolate.

Yea Gads - we all knew about Delta and the need for swift decisive action but nooooo Gladys had the Gold Standard to maintain, with Scomo cheering in the background (what a pair!)

When it became obvious that things were getting out of hand what did the 1/2 wit do? lock down (sort of) a few municipalities - as if you can isolate a few council areas from the rest of Sydney.

If there is to be any hope of containing this outbreak, in NSW (from the rest of Australia ) the Sydney Basin must be locked down COMPLETLY no movement with the exception of TRUELY essential service personnel.

Rat bag demos like the one yesterday can not be allowed to happen - we are at WAR with this virus - some civil liberties must be temporarily suspended for the duration.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

What about vaccination you say?

Well the polies are all clamoring for more vaccinations to be available/administered but I have my doubts:

Scenario 1. Even if the currently susceptible populations (those in lockdown and a surrounding buffer zone) could somehow be mass vaccinated today - it would be at least 2 weeks befor a low level of resistance/immunity would take effect - so that's another two weeks of (poorly implemented NSW) lockdown.

Scenario 2. We all (80%) have the full vaccine (both doses) that is effective from between 70-90% (depending on which one you have) herd immunity the pollies crow - well yes & no. First, the vaccine does not appear to prevent infection & therefore transmission. So what ,if you dont drop off the twig? well we dont know how long the vaccine  it will remain effective, nor what effect being vaccinated will have on the ability of the CV19 to evolve into something else (less/worse dangerouse). Nor do we know what will be the result (on the rest of us) from having an unvaccinated group, presumably riddled with the wog, in our midst.

It seems to me that this hype about the vaccine(s) is a diversion/smoke screen, by the powers that be, to divert our attention from their failures on the quarantine front.

Quarantine remains the most effective way of controlling & even eliminating the diesese and yet we fail time & time again to implement the STRICT TIMELY action that is required (Gladys/Scomo failures).

True, quarantine must be viewed in the context of the economic well being of the country (note I said country not  state) however there will be no economy, to speak of, with a sick population. Significant control of CV must take precedence over the econamy.

It seem to me that the future must include:

• Vaccination for all willing to participate.
  • For the unwilling, there must be strictly enforced penalties- certain jobs will not be open to them, travel internationally barred, crossing state borders during a CV out break not possible, participating in social gatherings over a certain number (decided by epidemiologists ) barred, etc etc
  • Snap quarantine/lock down of a significant geographic are/population MUST happen within hours of a potential carrier being discovered - can always be relaxed/cancelled if conditions indicate.
  • No entry of any person (no matter status) to Australia without full vaccination.
  • All persons, without exception,  entering the country to carry a movement reporting/location devise for a short period after entry.

Lets face it we already accept certain restrictions on our free will supposedly for the good of all - have you considered the doubtful practices of seat belts/bike helmets/speed cameras/passports/certain forms of taxation/etc etc???

CV related vaccination and temporary movement restrictions, have a much greater benefit, for all of us , than much/all of the aforementioned.

Edited by skippydiesel
  • Like 1

Except  the vaccinations, Will not stop this WuFlu, it wil keep going in a world of Fully vaxinated people.

The power that be.  Are only now admitting that ' you can still catch it, And, transmit it, ' while fully vaxinated. 

spacesailor

• Caution 1

4 hours ago, skippydiesel said:

First ; My apologies, to that part of Australia, outside the Greater Sydney Area, impacted by the inept performance of our NSW Government, for their failure to contain the CV19 delta virus.

Lockdown! What lockdown (in NSW)?

Good old Gladys (Scomos best buddy) tried (not very hard) to contain the virus by basically asking people to voluntarily isolate.

Yea Gads - we all knew about Delta and the need for swift decisive action but nooooo Gladys had the Gold Standard to maintain, with Scomo cheering in the background (what a pair!)

Skippy, most of us worked out in March last year that when a State of Emergency is declared by a government, the government steps back and an experienced commander takes over; exactly the same as when bushfires cause a SOE.

So no point trying to make it a political issue. Gladys was just giving the news as the other Premiers have.

Once you uderstand that, then you can look at the different approaches by the States.

In Victoria a lockdown is triggered when a complicated equation shows the our medical facilities including a dedicated Covid hospital would reach their capacity, so lockdowns are called early, when a lot of FB and Channel 9 commentators can't see why, but we've beaten down some big waves including a Delta.

Sydney people have kept on making headlines from the Bondi Beach display onwards, and this just had to happen. 

The CHO was probably trying to get a balance between reasonable compliance and people ignoring a lock down, and, with the benefit of hindsight she blew it. You could see the south west falling and the spread north as the Mayors jumped on the Today show arguing to let people keep working becauise they "had to put food on the table".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skippydiesel said:

What about vaccination you say?

Well the polies are all clamoring for more vaccinations to be available/administered but I have my doubts:

I think the NSW call for vaccination doses from the other States to be sent to NSW might have been a panic move poorly thought out. The Astrazenica vaccine reaches full effectiveness 40 days after the 12 week second dose, and there will be people dying in Sydney by then; You would just be slightly reducung the death rate. Better to lock down bubbles very hard so it stops spreading.

• Like 2

So the people  in that bubble will be the ONLY ones to die. ( outer suburbs ). .

It would never happen in the wealthy area !.

Just imagine the land size of those rich  mansions, with their multymillion dollar price tags.  Being emptied! .

Lots of area for massive ' low income flats ' for workers,  great views.

spacesailor

5 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

So the people  in that bubble will be the ONLY ones to die. ( outer suburbs ). .

It would never happen in the wealthy area !.

Just imagine the land size of those rich  mansions, with their multymillion dollar price tags.  Being emptied! .

Lots of area for massive ' low income flats ' for workers,  great views.

spacesailor

No, it's more likely they'll just keeping driving to their favourite nightclubs and restaurants making it an impossible task for the Health Dept unless some very firm ation takes place.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

Except  the vaccinations, Will not stop this WuFlu, it wil keep going in a world of Fully vaxinated people.

The power that be.  Are only now admitting that ' you can still catch it, And, transmit it, ' while fully vaxinated. 

spacesailor

Yes but.................if vaccinated you won't get as sick and it hopefully won't kill you

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

7 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

No, it's more likely they'll just keeping driving to their favourite nightclubs and restaurants making it an impossible task for the Health Dept unless some very firm ation takes place.

The NSW Gov has made it clear they do not (With the insistence of Feds) want to have a State wide lockdown.

Glady's quote "I fear for Victoria and worry about what their government may do. I hope we have demonstrated to other states it is possible to manage an outbreak and not shut down a city"

She feels pretty foolish now I bet.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

AND only locked down the burbs.

Not those in their affluent harbourside mansions.

Not a sign of WuFlu in that area !.

Did the same happen in Melbourne? .

spacesailor

Perhaps they read the rules.

The Health officers have a complex formula which, combined with testing thousands of people, gives them a good prediction where the hotspots are and where they are likely to spread. That decides whether to lock down a town, a region, a whole city or a whole State.

Because the Delta strain spreads on the wind and not just on the droplet trajectory, people are catching it outside as well as inside, so we have to adjust our learning a little bit more and increase the spacing and walk away from restaurants and venue where there's a crowd.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, turboplanner said:

Skippy, most of us worked out in March last year that when a State of Emergency is declared by a government, the government steps back and an experienced commander takes over; exactly the same as when bushfires cause a SOE.

So no point trying to make it a political issue. Gladys was just giving the news as the other Premiers have.

Once you uderstand that, then you can look at the different approaches by the States.

In Victoria a lockdown is triggered when a complicated equation shows the our medical facilities including a dedicated Covid hospital would reach their capacity, so lockdowns are called early, when a lot of FB and Channel 9 commentators can't see why, but we've beaten down some big waves including a Delta.

Sydney people have kept on making headlines from the Bondi Beach display onwards, and this just had to happen. 

The CHO was probably trying to get a balance between reasonable compliance and people ignoring a lock down, and, with the benefit of hindsight she blew it. You could see the south west falling and the spread north as the Mayors jumped on the Today show arguing to let people keep working becauise they "had to put food on the table".

What made you think I was politicising the matter - I am just highlighting gross incompetency, driven by a false precept, which may owe its origins to political ideology but I care not a fig for that.

Even the Romans knew how to handle a pandemic.Our present leaders (I care not what their political allegiance is) have been slow to accept the lessons of history and the council of scientists in the field.

Most of our state leaders have belatedly come to some understanding - swift, decisive/hard action must be taken - Gladys & Scomo were out back of the dunny, having a fag, when that bit of information was being absorbed by everyone else

Why do a hatchet job on Gladys & Scomo?- simple they are the captains of their respective teams/the front person, so they cop the blame when all turns to sh-t. 

From the outset the people who really understood the problem have said we must treat the pandemic as a war (against CV19) - when a country is on a war footing,certain civil liberties are suspended for the duration (few complain). Not us! We allow demonstrations by the antivax brigade to take place. Do I care that they may all get infected? No! I do care that when the protesters go back homes they may infect a lot of innocent people who do not deserve to be so assaulted.