Covid 19

I think I said this - "I would be resentful of anyone that could have been vaxxed taking up valuable medical resources."     to clarify "tie up" I do not mean getting a hospital bed.  I am talking of the situations such as in Florida where IC units are at over capacity.    I am not talking about people who for medical reasons can not get vaccinated nor those to who have not had the opportunity. For that matter I don't necessarily resent people who make the choice. The only people I would resent are those who are waging an antivaxx campaign who seek to deter others.   I believe that people should have the right to refuse the vaccination but rights usually go along with responsibilities.  I saw a video from the US where a man was having a distraught rant about his wife who was struggling with breast cancer, she needed some fluid drained in hospital but was sent home because the hospital was over capacity with covid patients mostly unvaccinated.   He was understandably annoyed.    

This was the situation as of August 1.     It seems that at least at this stage if we had a high vaccination rate we wouldn't be filling up ICUs.  This of could change as the virus mutates

Kidd said of the more than 2,700 locally acquired cases of Covid-19 in NSW between 16 June and 28 July, 93% of those people had not yet been vaccinated, and 6% had been vaccinated with only one of the two doses.

“No fully vaccinated people have been admitted to intensive care units,” Kidd said. “No people who are fully vaccinated have died from Covid-19 during this current outbreak. Four percent of people admitted to ICU with Covid-19 have received one dose of a vaccine; 96% of those admitted to ICU are currently unvaccinated.

I agree that vaccinations are not the only hope. we need to use all the measures we have.   Whilst a  mask does not provide 100% protection, combined with other measure such as   hand washing, social distancing and vaccination, the level of protection is multiplied.

I don't think anyone believes we can totally eliminate the virus, we will have to learn to live with it. We have never managed to eliminate HIV/AIDS however these days it is not a death sentence it used to be (in the developed word).

I'm with you FB, no poison for me I don't want to be part of the biggest human experiment known to mankind despite those that sit atop the moral high ground & preach!

Today's BS speech by the lunatic Andrews was enough to make you think we are living in war torn 1941 Germany! The ABC have become so biased they've lost me!

8 hours ago, spacesailor said:

ARE WE LOOSING OUR DEMOCRASY ..

Now not only lockdown but. We're now in a ' military curfew  '  ( has to be with soldiers ).

Just like a Dictatorship.

And that is because people refuse to do what they are told, and that's why we are in this debacle. Like the people, including a doctor, who attended the engagement party in Melbourne and spread the virus to numerous people who would not have caught it if they had stayed at home. Then they go shopping, jogging, you name it, and spread it elsewhere to people who then spread it further.

It's not rocket science.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Flying Binghi said:

FB - It beats me how such a risk averse individual, can drive to the airfield, let alone take to the air.

Its true some corners have been cut to get these particular vaccines into our arm's but they are hardly new technologies, so when the need is so pressing, it make sense to hasten carefully, to achieve what will certainly be the saving of millions of lives.

Of course, if you believe that CV19 is some forme of plot, to do unspeakably wicked things with your pristine body or that it is just some sort of mind game , you are not going to be persuaded of the "common good" in having the vaccine.

If and when we achieve herd immunity (80+% of the total population, including children & the no vaccination for whatever reason mob) you will benefit from the miniscule risk the rest of us have taken - hope you will be so grateful that;

A You leave your entire estate to a teaching hospital

B You write a heartfelt thank you to your fellow pilots/Forum members

On the other hand if I turn into a tumour riddled/blood clot/mental vegetable as a result of the  Astra Zeneca  (or future vaccine developments) I will make my craven apologies to you and all who sit on the fence with you.

The definition of apathy - Being Neither For Or Against

• Like 3
  • Winner 1

8 hours ago, Flying Binghi said:

It is now fairly well documented just who is likely to have serious problems if they get the virus.

Yes: unvaccinated people.

Delta is making younger people, including children, sicker than previous variants. I don't know what makes you think you are in a group that is not at risk - if you are under 18, perhaps, but I would still be worried... otherwise you are definitely at risk.

The only people with good protection against the disease are those who are vaccinated - protection is good after the first dose, much better after the second.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

5 hours ago, red750 said:

And that is because people refuse to do what they are told

Like the people who attended the beach party at Maroubra and spread it to 11 others. (So far identified.)

FFS.

For what it’s worth,  I only take passing notice of the daily media dribble that is sanitised for public consumption.  Unfortunately its information put out by all the ‘would be   IF they could he’s’  and is fairly useless.  Then the media promotes an ‘expert’ in the field and the public have to believe them,  there is no other choice.

The Govt could tell the people anything they like and they think we should believe it.  Th only real source, is peer reviewed information from medical journals, that is as good as it can get.

Since I have been studying internal medicine for some 8 years as a hobby,  I have learnt a lot.  Something that landed on my feed today…….

Audio Interview: Aspects of Covid-19 Immunity

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2113747?query=featured_home

Govt does not care, politicians getting pay rises and plenty of food to eat.  When have they ever acted in the best interests of the people?

They know the public will only whinge on social media and do nothing else…….

• Agree 1

The right thing for people to do is obey a lockdown. It is in everyone's interest. But this time/next time a large minority will refuse to do it, they have had enough. Then the virus will be free in the community. Could happen within the next days or weeks.

54 minutes ago, walrus said:

Rumor is that Dan Andrews is about to try a “super lockdown”…….

Well you can see what the reaction is when you just write inflammatory stuff like that. The reality is that the DHHS teams are now getting much faster data from electronic contact tracing and are able to take the fight to the Delta strain in a much more targetted way, so will be going for the spreader hotspots. They will be targetting childcare centres where speading among the children is taken back into homes, and "construction" where for some reason a lot of spreading has been occurring, and takeaways - the coffee shops which have continued to do business by serving outside theor front door, allowing people to congregate. The Ministers had a meeting yesterday looking at the various ways to handle this, given that child cares will stay open to cater for children of essential works, so will be short of income, and the construction industry is big and very complicated.

I thought the Wiggles was an interesting case... This fat girl was afraid of the oxygen in hospital so she was likely to die instead. That sums up a lot of the anti-vaxxer stuff.

I bet that there would be stats showing that oxygen is very dangerous on mortality grounds.

10 minutes ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

I thought the Wiggles was an interesting case... This fat girl was afraid of the oxygen in hospital so she was likely to die instead. That sums up a lot of the anti-vaxxer stuff.

I bet that there would be stats showing that oxygen is very dangerous on mortality grounds.

“This fat girl” has Down Syndrome 

One wonders the intelligence of some of these people. The more they flout the rules and go about protesting their freedoms, the longer the restrictions will be in place. Do the hard thing, get this under control, the sooner we will get back to something like normal (whatever that is).

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, jackc said:

Govt does not care, politicians getting pay rises and plenty of food to eat.  When have they ever acted in the best interests of the people?

They know the public will only whinge on social media and do nothing else…….

jackc that's the biggest issue, too many people actually believe the daily numbers BS! The grubby premiers aren't hurting like the people on the ground, like you say they simply don't care!

2 hours ago, jackc said:

I only take passing notice of the daily media dribble that is sanitised for public consumption.  Unfortunately its information put out by all the ‘would be   IF they could he’s’  and is fairly useless.  Then the media promotes an ‘expert’ in the field and the public have to believe them,  there is no other choice.

We have never had more access to good information, thanks to the internet. You just have to find the real experts - not the media types pushing for attention.

Back in January 2020, the people who had worked on controlling Ebola were raising the alarm, saying this virus looked way more scary than Ebola. 

We can hear first hand from the ICU doctors & nurses in hotspots. We can hear first hand from scientists working on treatments and vaccines. We can hear first hand from the patients in ICU before they are put on a ventilator.

Peter Doherty, the Nobel Prize winning immunologist is regularly online answering questions about the vaccines. Mid last year he predicted that we would have vaccines, and we would likely start to hear good news from trials around October 2020. He was right within a week or 2. Many others (politicians and media) were predicting there would never be a vaccine.

Information is there, if you can filter it from the rubbish.

For some reason everything in the media seems to be written by political reporters, never health or science reporters. It shows in the framing of the stories, and has been very damaging.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Flightrite said:

People will fight/push back against the continuing tyranny, the grubby Govt/s can't control everyone like sheep! Expect a LOT more push back!

Ignorance this time around will most probably see you die, so the dissidents and antivaxxers will reduce automatically.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Caution 1

This is getting like the French. Just before their revolution. Those in power against those that are starving.

No bread " Let them eat cake ".

THEN the royals lost their heads.

Who's parliamentary head will roll, after this chaos ?.