Covid 19

11 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

FAT LOT OF GOOD GETTING VAXINATED DID US THEN ,.

Spacey vaccination is not a failure.   At this point only 13.6% of the population has been vaccinated, this is not enough yet.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Vaccination levels are not high enough to make a big difference at a population level, but looking at the rising case numbers I am VERY happy I had my first AZ vaccine back in May, and will be even happier once I have the second one in 2 weeks.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, walrus said:

As per my opening post, NSW has > 120 community infections. Contact tracing is now pointless. Lockdown may slow progression but now the only thing that will stop the pandemic in NSW is vaccination.

Agree that contract tracing is pointless, no system can keep up with the potential 1000+ additional close contacts per day.

But, this is beatable. Melbourne did it last year from a position of 600+ cases a day.

I don't think people outside of Melbourne realise how strict the lockdown was, what NSW has done to date isn't even close. 

The Virus doesn't spread, people spread the virus. If you stop people from moving, you stop the spread. Simple.

Waiting for herd immunity isn't the answer, it will take too long.

Gladys needs to stop asking people to do the right thing, and demand that they do, and follow up with enforcement.

If NSW had done a Melbourne style lockdown at the end of June, they would be out the other side by now. Tougher restrictions now will get this done by early September, but I don't think Gladys has the nerve to do it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Hmmm

Sitting here behind a mask in the office here in Armidale today I find that COVID virus fragments have been detected in the Armidale sewerage ... damn!

Agree with RossK - the virus does not move to spread its people that do.  I am not looking forward to what might happen if a positive case turns up here in town.

Hopefully its just Adam Marshall (MP) shedding crap virus - literal crapping out virus particles - as he is a known recent recovery positive COVID delta case who is in town.  fingers crossed  

First jab down for me and second to come next month, but if we go into lockdown up here I am staying on the farm till its over.

The shedding reports seem to have been what you're suggesting. Previously positive people returning to or visiting a local suburb/town, and so far there hasn't been a subsequent outbreak.

Edited by turboplanner

Yes shedding is what we are hoping for ... but given the industry my day job is in we get direct NSW public health updates on numbers in the LGA that are positive or post infection positive - currently 1 and with 1 known local (Adam Marshall our 'beloved' local member) we can only hope that the sewerage testing is bloody sensitive and its picking up 1 persons shedding only.

But not looking forward to the next few days.  'Drive through' testing at the airport here was running at an 8-10 hour wait from 8am last week and that was triggered when the positive guy headed to Lismore on the flight and there was a spurt on testing anyone with a cough or headache as we had contact traced people to Armidale from there ... 

Until the Jab has benefits (other than the guessing game the grubs keeping pumping out!) I won't be getting it! So far we still live in a democratic society but that's fast being eroded away! And when we do go back into lock down which is a certainty knowing our lunatics those that have had the jab will be right along side of me, that part I love:-)😁

Edited by Flightrite
  • Agree 1
  • Caution 1

What good are your democratic rights in the grave. Softly softly Gladys refuses to learn from the lessons of other states. Much and all as we didn't like it, Victoria's Stage 4 lockdown showed that you can get this under control, until you are undermined by someone else's Stage 2 lockdown(?). And as for not having the jab, you've got as much risk eating a Big Mac. NOTHING is 100% iron tight safe in 100% of cases. It is impossible to account for every individual persons makeup and underlying health conditions. The same as peanuts, lactose, eggs, gluten etc react badly with some. We can't ban them all. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

Oh dear.  You use ALL the tools available in your kit, you just don’t ditch some, because they’re not 100% perfect.  Laws against murder don’t work...people still murder ...but we don’t ditch those laws!  Listen to the wise people at the WHO.  They have been exceedingly critical of the UK’s single policy of vaccination and let it rip.  They were blunt, calling it ‘stupid’ and dangerous.

It is increasingly likely that even with an unachievable 100% vaccination rate, covid will still be active in the community, including killing people....vaccinated people, albeit at a very much lower level than if people weren’t vaccinated. The Grattan Institute came out today with an 80% vaccination target to ‘open up’ the economy, and they admitted that covid would still be running rampant at that level of vaccination and implicit in this is that a small percentage of people will die each year as a consequence.....10,000, 25,000 pa what, they didn’t say?

it might be deliberate policy to “let it rip’ a bit to scare a lot of people to get vaccinated....it worked for me.  But how many people died as a consequence?  In my view pretty immoral.

We’ve got a great advantage over most other countries, let’s not trash it more by ditching proven effective public health measures, like quarantine, track, trace and isolate, face masks, avoiding other people, and vaccination.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Yes ,

BUT

WE/I am doing the right thing. Both double vaxed,

Now only one person allowed to shop.

Leaves the none driving wife, out. Then me,  can,t do it right, so l,m out, !

AND

Were out of fresh veggies, haven,t shopped for two or three weeks.

Another four weeks locked IN ,. we,ll be skeletons, dead & forgotton , in this NO "double vax passport ".

If everyone is going to be in prison (  home isolation ), l could have forgone those walks for the jab.

And stayed covid safe.  ( no advantage after that jab )

spacesailor

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Caution 2

1 minute ago, spacesailor said:

This is because a vaccinated person can still get it and in a population that has such a low vaccination rate it could still spread to vulnerable unvaccinated people.   The reality is that the way out of this is for most of the population to have an immunity.   Yes it is true that the best vaccine is not 100% effective but even at 60-80% chance of avoiding death, or a long lasting effects it is the rational decision.

If I ever get cancer I will consult an oncologist, if I have heart problems I will consult a cardiologist  Given that this is a virus I will tend to take the advice of virologists and immunologists.  The last people I would take advice from is Sky news or Fox news or the antivaxxers. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Flightrite said:

Until the Jab has benefits (other than the guessing game the grubs keeping pumping out!) I won't be getting it! So far we still live in a democratic society but that's fast being eroded away! And when we do go back into lock down which is a certainty knowing our lunatics those that have had the jab will be right along side of me, that part I love:-)😁

Yes, but the intelligent person who had the jab will live.  But never mind that, better to die free and stupid huh?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Caution 1

Not if they Starve to death in lockdown isolation .

If they don,t lift the " one person  "  shopping  law  people  will be in strife.

I can live without sport, or the other things, but l need FOOD.

Cold it be the government way to cull the population ?.

But

Why wait untill us fools are vaxinated. It,s not like we hsd to pay for it, like those that paid  $150 & $250.

Ooops  ( is this a rant  )

spacesailor

Spacey,

You could drive your wife to the supermarket and sit in the carpark while she shops. I often drive my daughter to do the shopping, because I have a disabled parking sticker, and it allows us to park near the door, great when it's raining (Open air car park). If you are questioned - tell them - your wife doesn't drive. Or Coles and Woolies have home delivery.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, onetrack said:

Spacey, you've obviously got an internet connection, and a computer of sorts - home delivery of all types of food is just a mouse click away. 

Not if you live a hundred Ks from the shops.

Bernie.

10 hours ago, octave said:

This is because a vaccinated person can still get it and in a population that has such a low vaccination rate it could still spread to vulnerable unvaccinated people.   The reality is that the way out of this is for most of the population to have an immunity.   Yes it is true that the best vaccine is not 100% effective but even at 60-80% chance of avoiding death, or a long lasting effects it is the rational decision.

If I ever get cancer I will consult an oncologist, if I have heart problems I will consult a cardiologist  Given that this is a virus I will tend to take the advice of virologists and immunologists.  The last people I would take advice from is Sky news or Fox news or the antivaxxers. 

Why bother any more …. you can lead a horse to water …?

or  maybe “dead man walking”!

On 27/07/2021 at 9:00 PM, spacesailor said:

BUT

What does the covid do to the immunised, when they get it ?.

There,s no information out there yet.

spacesailor

The immunised get a less severe form of the disease. There is info about that. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Flightrite said:

Vaccinations have long been mandatory. And what do you mean by saying “until the jab has benefits”? The jab stops you getting sick from COVID. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, spacesailor said:

Yes ,

BUT

WE/I am doing the right thing. Both double vaxed,

Leaves the none driving wife, out. Then me,  can,t do it right, so l,m out, !

AND

Were out of fresh veggies, haven,t shopped for two or three weeks.

Another four weeks locked IN ,. we,ll be skeletons, dead & forgotton , in this NO "double vax passport ".

If everyone is going to be in prison (  home isolation ), l could have forgone those walks for the jab.

And stayed covid safe.  ( no advantage after that jab )

spacesailor

Spacesailor you need to do more reading and less talking. There will be people to contact for assistance in cases like yours. I don't know who they are in NSW, but certainly the Victorian DHHS and the government and Councils emphasise their contact numbers for assistance. Apart from that you can order food from Coles online or Woolworths online.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The travel distance from your house relates to suburban people. Rural residents are allowed to travel to the nearest town. 
Victoria went through these restrictions and survived. NSW will too despite the wingers and nay sayers.

• Agree 3

Premier Gladys is crowing about how strict the restrictions in NSW are however she has not been briefed on what Victoria had and importantly how early it was applied. The results speak for themselves. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Spacey, a friend of mine’s wife is legally blind (in her early 60s) and, as you would expect no drivers licence (they are not in the NT).  She manages to ride her electric boosted bicycle the 3km to the shops and back (on the road mind you).  Exercise...sort of...and shopping, but probably more risk than covid.

• Like 1