Rotax 912A

hairyaardvark

5 hours ago, hairyaardvark said:

Hello. I have a VH registered CA25N. Is the 912 used in the Gazelle a certified or non-certified engine?

Richard

If the aircraft is  "certified" then all components, including engine, fall under the certification rules. So the Q is - is the Gazelle Certified ?

You can have certified engine in non certified aircraft but not visa versa

6 hours ago, hairyaardvark said:

Hello. I have a VH registered CA25N. Is the 912 used in the Gazelle a certified or non-certified engine?

Richard

CA25N Gazelles appear to use the 912A, this is jar22 certified. Other 80hp 912 engines are the 912F, FAR33 certified and the 912ul which is not certified.  

21 minutes ago, Thruster88 said:

CA25N Gazelles appear to use the 912A, this is jar22 certified. Other 80hp 912 engines are the 912F, FAR33 certified and the 912ul which is not certified.  

All very well Thruster - but is the aircraft certified or not? I

If not, the engine certification, is to all intense & purposes, irrelevant.

If yes, then the engine, airframe, avionics must be maintained to the certified standards, for continued airworthiness.

So the Q is still - is the aircraft certified?

Mr H Aardvark may have asked his question out of curiosity but then again, the asking has the implications that the answear will influence something he will or will not do with the aircraft.

Edited by skippydiesel

The CA25N was sold as a VH registered cheaper to operate Cessna and Piper replacement in the training market so yes it must have been certified. That would not change in a move to RAAus is my understanding. So only a 912A engine could be used. I can remember when Gazelles were worth a small fortune on the used market.

1 hour ago, Thruster88 said:

The CA25N was sold as a VH registered cheaper to operate Cessna and Piper replacement in the training market so yes it must have been certified. That would not change in a move to RAAus is my understanding. So only a 912A engine could be used. I can remember when Gazelles were worth a small fortune on the used market.

True O King & it should be serviced by a minimum of an L2 ,better L4/LAIM

I stand corrected - still its just the basics and like all factory built, must replace items with factory approved - no thinking outside the box.

I also wonder about selling the aircraft down the track - will certification be maintained by an L1 ?

7 hours ago, skippydiesel said:

I stand corrected - still its just the basics and like all factory built, must replace items with factory approved - no thinking outside the box.

I also wonder about selling the aircraft down the track - will certification be maintained by an L1 ?

Certified status will not change if maintained by an L1 for private operations. If the aircraft was later returned to a RAAus flying school then an inspection and sign off by L2 would be required.  

2 hours ago, Thruster88 said:

Certified status will not change if maintained by an L1 for private operations. If the aircraft was later returned to a RAAus flying school then an inspection and sign off by L2 would be required.  

Could it go back to VH certified ?

Just now, skippydiesel said:

Could it go back to VH certified ?

I don't see why not. It would require a LAME to issue a maintenance release just like any other certified VH aircraft. The LAME would go thru the logbook and rectify any deficiencies in the previous maintenance, this would happen anytime a LAME signs out a new to them aircraft regardless of its previous history.

4 hours ago, Thruster88 said:

I don't see why not. It would require a LAME to issue a maintenance release just like any other certified VH aircraft. The LAME would go thru the logbook and rectify any deficiencies in the previous maintenance, this would happen anytime a LAME signs out a new to them aircraft regardless of its previous history.

Sooo! it behoves the owner to maintain the certification.

59 minutes ago, skippydiesel said:

Sooo! it behoves the owner to maintain the certification.

In VH land it is the responsibility of the operator. I am the owner and operator of my VH aircraft but they can be separate entities.  

My Gazelle 3382. I was told was the first to change from GA the AUF, I bought it from training school and achieved my flying certificate in it. and cross hired it back to the school.

Bernie.  

• 2 months later...

I have been told if my Gazelle has a 24 number before the RAAus number, then it was certified with an 80 Hp 912 and you can’t change that without voiding the certification? Would be great to put in a 100 Hp 912. Another thing….the Gazelles had an alternator on/off switch installed, apparently CASA wanted it for a VH reg. What is the story here? Flight manual says with an alternator failure, land as soon as practicable basically means land at first suitable airfield….it’s not land “immediately” basically a forced landing or land as “soon as possible” basically this would be a precautionary landing on the first suitable surface…so it seems to be not that urgent? However, the manual says to NOT switch alternator off in flight? Surely engine won’t stop? The alternator windings will induce a current, you don’t need battery power surely? Rotax maintenance manual doesn’t address this as far as I can see.