Glue removal

Start with an eraser stick (I think its pure rubber or something) then the lest likely to do damage - as per JG3. If works great, if not try isopropanol, diesel,  petrol, then paint thinner ( 2 types)

• Like 1

WD40 is about the only thing I haven’t tried, what is isopropanol, tried all the paint thinners , metho, turps, acetone ,tried RP7 is that the same as WD 40,  my hand still sticks to it , driving me nuts 

Try some Oomph Goo & Stain remover, it's Citrus oil and works well on most adhesives. Available from Bunnings Aerospace.

Failing that, some Carburettor & Throttle Body cleaner in the spray can from SuperCheap Aerospace. It's a mixture of Methanol and Acetone, just be careful with the application of it, it will take paint off.

1 hour ago, rhtrudder said:

Tried citrus also carby and brake cleaner , surely there’s something that would dissolve the glue but not the paint

Did you try the rubber stick?? - that's what I used to remove the adhesive, when I replaced my fabric - works a treat but does require a bit of muscle power. The stick is a mechanical removal system - it seems to "grab" the adhesive , role/ball it up until it drops off - simple!

Isopropanol is the same alcohol used in most hand sanitisers, the skin wipe before you get the jab, etc - in hospitals & wipes its usually 70% or less. You can purchase 100% from cleaning product supply shops.

Edited by skippydiesel

You mentioned paint thinners, is that white spirit? I use that on glue residue. It still takes a bit of manual effort but it works reasonably well. I worked for Bunnings for a while and they used to use metho and turps mix to remove stickers from the shelves. That also required rubbing. I don't know what that glue is made of but it's sticky stuff!

I have used spray Aeroguard to remove the sticky residue. The solvent seems to work and presumably is not harmful. For dry hard residue I have used Magic Eraser foam blocks. The blocks are a micro abrasive and combined with Aeroguard I have removed very tough dried glue with no harm to the underlying surface.

• Informative 1

Rubber/latex stick. Put this up erlier but it seemed to disappear:

Sandpaper Cleaning Stickshttps://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjAzKDmj4ryAhVTDCsKHWdmDWYYABAAGgJzZg&ae=2&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAASE-RoQrDpLI6I_apOMoDSs7_1VWU&sig=AOD64_2G1KDFpCdnIxr6JEmOYtpG1MnZcg&q&adurl&ved=2ahUKEwiD6pnmj4ryAhUD8HMBHTEGC20Q0Qx6BAgDEAE

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjAzKDmj4ryAhVTDCsKHWdmDWYYABAAGgJzZg&ae=2&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAASE-RoQrDpLI6I_apOMoDSs7_1VWU&sig=AOD64_2G1KDFpCdnIxr6JEmOYtpG1MnZcg&q&adurl&ved=2ahUKEwiD6pnmj4ryAhUD8HMBHTEGC20Q0Qx6BAgDEAEhttps://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjAzKDmj4ryAhVTDCsKHWdmDWYYABAAGgJzZg&ae=2&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAASE-RoQrDpLI6I_apOMoDSs7_1VWU&sig=AOD64_2G1KDFpCdnIxr6JEmOYtpG1MnZcg&q&adurl&ved=2ahUKEwiD6pnmj4ryAhUD8HMBHTEGC20Q0Qx6BAgDEAETimbecon Pty Ltd1300 880 996[email protected]

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjAzKDmj4ryAhVTDCsKHWdmDWYYABAAGgJzZg&ae=2&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAASE-RoQrDpLI6I_apOMoDSs7_1VWU&sig=AOD64_2G1KDFpCdnIxr6JEmOYtpG1MnZcg&q&adurl&ved=2ahUKEwiD6pnmj4ryAhUD8HMBHTEGC20Q0Qx6BAgDEAEhttps://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjAzKDmj4ryAhVTDCsKHWdmDWYYABAAGgJzZg&ae=2&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAASE-RoQrDpLI6I_apOMoDSs7_1VWU&sig=AOD64_2G1KDFpCdnIxr6JEmOYtpG1MnZcg&q&adurl&ved=2ahUKEwiD6pnmj4ryAhUD8HMBHTEGC20Q0Qx6BAgDEAEhttps://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjAzKDmj4ryAhVTDCsKHWdmDWYYABAAGgJzZg&ae=2&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAASE-RoQrDpLI6I_apOMoDSs7_1VWU&sig=AOD64_2G1KDFpCdnIxr6JEmOYtpG1MnZcg&q&adurl&ved=2ahUKEwiD6pnmj4ryAhUD8HMBHTEGC20Q0Qx6BAgDEAE

Lots of elbow grease needed. White spirit will work but needs time. If you can dampen a cloth with white spirit place over the area then tape a sheet of plastic over it to slow evaporation down and walk away for a while. Come back and rub off with a rag. 

At the end of the day - the system(s) that work will depend on the chemical composition of the adhesive.

The best removal process will always be:- If you dont have prior knowledge/expedience (of that material), start with the least likely to damage your aircraft (paint/fabric/structure) and you ( dermatitis/ allergy/ carcinogens) and after correct application (system/time) you fail,  progress to the next level and so on.

There is another method - physical removal of the adhesive by scraping. You can use a razor blade (very carefully at a low angle), or you can use a sharpened plastic scraper which offers less potential paint damage.

One of the problems with the adhesive that is used to affix decals, is that over a substantial period of time, and with constant sun exposure, the adhesive actually forms a chemical bond with the underlying paint, which bond is exceptionally difficult to break up.

On 31/07/2021 at 10:35 AM, onetrack said:

There is another method - physical removal of the adhesive by scraping. You can use a razor blade (very carefully at a low angle), or you can use a sharpened plastic scraper which offers less potential paint damage.

One of the problems with the adhesive that is used to affix decals, is that over a substantial period of time, and with constant sun exposure, the adhesive actually forms a chemical bond with the underlying paint, which bond is exceptionally difficult to break up.

Hens the use of the rubber/latex stick - the scrapper system will work of course but the risk of damage is high.

• Agree 1

Eucalyptus oil or tea tree oil gets rid of sticker residue on cars and caravans skins. Try micro fibre as its grippy soft surface works well without damaging delicate paints.

if fibreglass or metal an eraser wheel works, not on soft fabric though.

cheers

clinton

• 2 weeks later...

Got the rubber wheel, clogged up pretty quick, because it’s under the wing makes it hard to soak it ,so far metho soaked rag and fingernails ,  been at it off and on for hours , about half way there, thanks everyone for the advice 

• Informative 1

10 hours ago, rhtrudder said:

Got the rubber wheel, clogged up pretty quick, because it’s under the wing makes it hard to soak it ,so far metho soaked rag and fingernails ,  been at it off and on for hours , about half way there, thanks everyone for the advice 

Yeah! have gone down and rejected, the rubber wheel path myself - if its that "hard" take the wing off and flip it on a stand/table.

Edited by skippydiesel