The hit and miss art of CTAF separation.

Garfly

15 minutes ago, walrus said:

Why don’t people have radio and perhaps transponder? Are they the same idiots who refuse Covid vaccination because…..freedom?

At least can the non radio crowd by relegated to 500 ft circuit height…..or could they be required to have a sky echo in operation in the vicinity of airstrips so that we have some chance of alerted see and avoid?

There can be many reasons for no radio in the CTAF. Radio not working, wrong frequency,  or nobody else around so no need to broadcast. 

500 ft circuits are reserved for traditional ultralights 😂😥😎 which often have no radio. 

Disclaimer, fully vaccinated and have SkyEcho2.  

• Haha 2

I went for a fly on Friday which was the first time since lockdown. I monitored Area while on CTAF & then changed to Coffs when in/under their CTR while continuing to monitor area. In just over an hour there were 2 calls on area to IFR flights & that was it. Just because I heard nothing I did not assume there to be no-one so I made my normal 10 mile inbound with ETA and 1500 foot joining call. While these are not mandatory it is the only way I am going to find out if there is anyone else around (that has a radio turned on to the right frequency and is listening). Before takeoff I always make an entering/lineup/backtrack call and a rolling call. These calls are "MY" mandatory calls. I don't have a transponder and have no intention of fitting this ancient technology but will likely get a SE2 or equivalent at some stage.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1