WTH! has anyone else receivdthe email: re new ASIC CARD requirements ?

circuitsun

just received this email from my asic card provider:  WTH    have you received this ??

http://veritasengineering.com.au/veritas-logo-(CMYK)-without-engineering.jpg  

Reference Number: VEA  xxxxxx

Important Notice:
Updated Card Holder Obligations

Dear  xxxxxx

As your ASIC issuing body, Veritas is alerting you to expected changes to the Transport Security Amendment (Serious Crime) Act 2021 which will impact your reporting obligations as an ASIC cardholder. It is expected that from 23 August 2021, a person’s eligibility to hold an ASIC and work in the most secure areas of Australia’s airports will be assessed against new tiered and harmonised criteria. The introduction of the new criteria aims to strengthen the ASIC scheme and focuses on combating serious crime.

The majority of current ASIC holders will be unaffected by the new criteria, however existing cardholders will need to self-report any prior convictions based on the new criteria to the Department of Home Affairs or to Veritas as your ASIC issuing body.

Action Required

Read the attached correspondence from the Department of Home Affairs outlining the expected changes to the criteria from 23 August 2021.

You must do one of the following:

A. If you have not been convicted of any offence, then you do not need to self-report (or respond to this email).

or

B. If you have a conviction for any of the new offences (listed in the centre column of the last page of the attachment) or if you’re not sure whether a conviction relates to the new criteria, please contact the Department of Home Affairs (contact details are listed in the attachment) or Veritas to avoid any penalty.

If you have any questions regarding this correspondence, please feel free to contact us for further assistance.

Kind Regards,

Veritas

This does not inspire any confidence in the back ground checking that is supposed to happen with asic cards. WTF. We are told that AVID cards are not suitable for private pilots because the background checking is not of sufficient standard.

• Agree 1

Renewing Blue Cards annually has required the applicant to report any Crimes etc by the applicant which may effect their qualification for the card. Teachers receive their invitation to renew each year which states if they do not renew and continue their activities that require them to hold the card, they will be liable to prosecution. Just a money grabbing activity.

My aircraft is based at security controlled airport so no way around it and CASA doesn’t have anything to do with ASIC I also fly into other security controlled airports so need it for that . I am not happy having to do it though especially for the 3rd issue of my card , fair enough the first time but not every time.

This has been a requirement from day 1 with the ASIC card. Maybe it has been changed slightly, but it has always been stupid.  Over the years our politicians have done nothing to bring any sense to the situation even when asked by electors.

Stick safety into anything nowadays and those in control have open slather to attack the rest of the population to nobodys benefit.

How stupid is it that an ASIC card holder has to tell the authorities when he has broken the law?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• 1 month later...

I think it possible that this is related to the fact that several unsuitable people ( eg with drug records or having close  relatives with  such ) were coming and going from airports without any controls at all. Aircraft cleaners, for example, could come and go without being searched . It was estimated that their activities provided a major route for drug importation.

Personally, I refuse to have an ASIC card and avoid going to places where it is required. My main objection is the unnecessary requirement for frequent renewals.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

I think it possible that this is related to the fact that several unsuitable people ( eg with drug records or having close  relatives with  such ) were coming and going from airports without any controls at all. Aircraft cleaners, for example, could come and go without being searched . It was estimated that their activities provided a major route for drug importation.

Personally, I refuse to have an ASIC card and avoid going to places where it is required. My main objection is the unnecessary requirement for frequent renewals.

Well you're not affected by it.

5 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

Turbs, that is EXACTLY the attitude which explains the drug problem. Yes, I am not effected by it unless you count the extra taxes I pay.

So should I just ignore the whole thing? Many people do just that.

Yes you should, it doesn't effect you, you can't do something about it, and the people involved with it will be putting their case.

On the other hand, at home, you need a cross strip unless you only fly when the wind is in the right direction.

I agree about the cross-strip. If you look at Edenhope A/F on google earth, you will see there is a cross-strip but disused except for some guy who uses part of it for a road.

If I ever need to land there with a strong cross-wind, I have the options of Naracoorte ( 50k) or Horsham (90k) OR landing on that stub-end of cross-strip ( 600m, but into a strong wind )

While visiting the local cop-shop the other day ( to get a pass to go to Naracoorte ) I imagined that I was there to dob in my local illegal drug supplier and seeing what the reward would be if he was convicted... NOTHING ! Plenty of posters urging you to do the dobbing, but no incentives.

If I had my way, there would be a $1000 reward for dobbing in a low-level supplier. The rewards would quickly grow as you climbed the ladder, so the guy you dobbed in would have the choice of dobbing in his supplier for $100,000 plus a new identity etc.

I have refused to get an ASIC from day 1. A kneejerk reaction to 9/11 that has turned into an industry to fleece pilots for no reason or benefit. I've flown to a number of airports that I am no supposed to go to. Most of the time I've not been challenged. I was challenged at Ballina & was told I could not go to the cafe. I said OK waited a bit & then went to the cafe. What are the supposed enforcers going to do anyway. They have no power to lock you up. You are already there so there is no point in saying you aren't allowed here. Next time I'm going to invite the dork to search my plane for bombs and guns & see what reaction I get.

• Like 4
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1