Fuel Theft YNWN

After a couple weeks since I last flew my Jab 230, I decided to go for a Sunday morning ride. Went to do a fuel drain and nothing came out of either wing. Checked and both were bone dry. I distinctly remember having about 70 litres left last time I flew. Newman is a security controlled airport so this is most concerning. Advised ARO and police. Anyone else had similar experiences?

• Like 2

Since I've a glass cockpit, I always take a photo of my display for the hobs and fuel so I know how much fuel I need when I go to the airport next. Sorry to hear about being bone dry. Glad you have a chance to fly though.

At least you checked your "previously known fuel level", and didn't find out your assured 70 litres was missing, after you took off! - like this bloke did!

https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/1986/aair/aair198600131/

Thieves are everywhere, and they're opportunistic. Sorry to hear of your loss. It's a real concern that "security" is supposed to be in place at Newman, and it doesn't appear to be working effectively.

Trail cameras are cheap, effective and easy to set up. This camera (video example below) cost me just $75, and it enabled me to identify the intruder.

Daytime vision is good for more than 50 metres, but night-time vision is limited to 6M. Get one with extra good infra-red range.

RAT-3.avi

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 1

I use Uniden cameras linked to the cloud and to an onboard SD card. Trigger camera and an alarm goes off on my phone and video is accessed straight away.  Have cameras set up on dead end  road into my property, can be there in 3 minutes and catch offender IF they don’t come out in 5 minutes, I suspect they are breaking in to my property.

Then I go and spring them 🙂

Edited by jackc
bad video attach?
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

I recall an accident that occurred in South Australia?  with a amateur built aircraft heading east for a flyin. They had stopped overnight and re fueled. Next morning took off and did not get far, fuel exhaustion. Cant find the report.

Always visually check fuel even if it was full last night.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

IF you don’t sleep with your aircraft, it pays to do a full pre-flight as anything could have happened while unattended.

Should do a proper pre-flight anyway, regardless.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, mkennard said:

It’s not easy to drain, do you think they used the drain points?

When I’m flying to another airport, not sure how I could use a camera when I cover my plane. 

Pretty sure they used the drain points. On closer inspection, there were fuel stains down the side of the fuselage. I am very fussy about that when I do fuel drains.

10 hours ago, kiwiaviator said:

Pretty sure they used the drain points. On closer inspection, there were fuel stains down the side of the fuselage. I am very fussy about that when I do fuel drains.

Just be careful, they can fail.

On 29/08/2021 at 3:48 PM, Thruster88 said:

I recall an accident that occurred in South Australia?  with a amateur built aircraft heading east for a flyin. They had stopped overnight and re fueled. Next morning took off and did not get far, fuel exhaustion. Cant find the report.

Always visually check fuel even if it was full last night.

Yes, I've read about this one, it was in 1999.  The aircraft was VH-LWA, a Glasair 235 built by one of the Serpentine community I believe.  They refuelled and overnighted at Aldinga, and the crash occurred shortly after their departure from there the following morning.  Here's a link to the CASA report: https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/1999/aair/aair199901340/

There was fairly clear evidence that the tanks had been almost drained by thieves overnight.  An absolute tragedy - two guys lost.  It's not stated in the report, but I'd bet nobody was ever brought to account for it.
Yes, pre-flight checks must ALWAYS include verification of fuel levels.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 3

Fuel theft happened to a mate of mine many years ago. He was actually camped under the wing yet they got his fuel anyway. He did run out and had to force-land the next morning. I dunno if this was officially reported, but I bet that he carefully checks ever since.

The Newman guy sure did the right thing in his preflight.

• Like 1

hi 

yes i have also been the victim of fuel & damage at my remote  home hangar  i had to get the plane out of there until i have installed a deterrent device  called a "sound barrier " which i believe will save me further damage loss . reports in our local paper of similiar device when its suspected use by russia & china on american diplomats  produced mysterious dibilitating side effects requiring medical assistance (not permanent )  this i hope will convince them of the error of their ways 

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

16 minutes ago, lyle janke said:

hi 

yes i have also been the victim of fuel & damage at my remote  home hangar  i had to get the plane out of there until i have installed a deterrent device  called a "sound barrier " which i believe will save me further damage loss . reports in our local paper of similiar device when its suspected use by russia & china on american diplomats  produced mysterious dibilitating side effects requiring medical assistance (not permanent )  this i hope will convince them of the error of their ways 

Good idea lyle. I have suggested a similar idea of playing Barry Manilow songs continuously on the GA apron.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Many years ago when I first did my RPL at Cunderdin fuel was regularly drained by the students at Cunderdin Ag College which was located near by for their go-karts and motor bikes. From then on I learnt to never fly without dipping the tanks.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

In the old days all club planes were filled to the brim  and put away so the condensation of water is limited. With big stuff you only very rarely fill them completely as it costs payload and fuel to tanker fuel and you may be landing weight limited also. X rse holes who steal fuel from parked planes overnight are utterly irresponsible but you should physically (dipstick etc ) verify fuel  at the commencement of flight. if it's not confirmed full. Full or empty is the only time you know exactly what your situation is. Nev

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

It's a CASA legal requirement to have sufficient fuel for the proposed flight prior to starting, there simply in no excuse for experiencing fuel exhaustion! Not confirming the fuel Qty onboard prior to flight is poor airmanship, something that I see lacking a LOT!

• Like 3

yes  all the comments on checking fuel qty before flight is a no-brainer  check before you fly but the point of this post  is the popular past time of removing fuel from aircraft`s  & all the damage /loss/stress that one can be confronted with when you arrive at airport to go for a quick fly & then you may need to repair your aircraft or replace fuel  this doesn`t put you in a good mental space to go flying . so i have had to go the costly path of a DETTERENT to keep my plane safe so i can just check & fly without a constant repair everytime i wanted to fly 

• Like 1

Just now, Bruce Tuncks said:

Good luck with your sound barrier Lyle. Please let us know it it works for you.

How much will it come to?

I need a BIG one of them 🙂 🙂 

hi 

2 sound barriers ( as reccomended for out door setting under dome shelter ) & security system for activation  tad under 6K  expensive but if it works then i will be in frt .

go to  this site for info etc http://www.sonicforcesecurity.com.au/index.html

the distributor is a very knowledgeable chap about his product  tell him lyle sent you his way 

• Informative 1

On 02/09/2021 at 9:26 AM, Bruce Tuncks said:

In general, delinquents show little interest in planes.  I sure hope this continues... But you guys experiences have opened my eyes a lot. Sorry but thanks for telling.

I wish they did not take interest in aircraft … this was 3 weeks ago at home.  The delightful chaps who did this also went through the entire house and we have a collection of 23 swasrikas with nice SS insignia through the lounge room and kitchen less pleasant words through the bathroom and the bedrooms also have new decorations. The fact that the little shits are the 11yo and his mate from over the road is making it quite uncomfortable … they are not getting off lightly … and it’s not cheap to fix an entire house including furniture. 

5DE8BC9F-E74E-458E-8B11-7BF8924230E7.jpeg

FA37EF35-138A-4FC4-9B1E-0083485F4822.jpeg