Fuel Theft YNWN

10 hours ago, KRviator said:

No, he did, Bruce, as well as a Union submission, he was fully defended, just that the Coroner wanted someone to blame other than the parents or kids themselves. To be honest, even though I've only ever worked freight trains, I don't think would have done anything differently and that's the galling bit - besides the kids mother trying to sue QR for a quarter-million-dollars for "Psychological harm" 'they' caused her, that is despite deflecting blame for the occurrence in the first place!

To her credit though, the then Qld Transport Minister basically said the Coroner is full of shyte, and it was unfair to blame the Driver who was a victim of circumstance, and despite the Coroner's recommendation, QR has not, and has no intention of, pursuing disciplinary action against the Driver.

The actual Coroner's report if anyone wants to read it...

I reckon that Coroner needs a review of his ability to interpret and apply the laws.  Absolutely poor decision in this matter. Score minus 100 out of 10. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

There was a coronial case which had a potentially terrible effect on gliding some years ago. A glider pilot died following a cable-break. The coroner, probably with an understanding of crane-cables, mandated heavy stranded cable for all gliding launches in future.

This would have ended the operations of most winch-launch clubs in Australia, to no good safety end. My last wire launches ( autotow ) at Gawler were wire ones, and the very last had 3 cable-breaks. There is no danger if you adhere to safe speed near the ground rules.

I know about this case from being levied to pay for the appeal, which thankfully arrived at the correct ruling of pilot error.

• Like 1

Wow, checking fuel quantity regardless, is a fundamental of per flight checks. I’m amazed how many incidents of theft/fuel starvation are reported here. Any leak could have occurred overnight, never mind theft. If you have a U/S fuel quantity system, even more important. If you have serviceable gauges, what happened to “fuel contents-selection-booster pump” as part of pre take off checks? Flying our aircraft, not often, in remote locations, a good pre flight check is pretty much essential.

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, F10 said:

Wow, checking fuel quantity regardless, is a fundamental of per flight checks. I’m amazed how many incidents of theft/fuel starvation are reported here. Any leak could have occurred overnight, never mind theft. If you have a U/S fuel quantity system, even more important. If you have serviceable gauges, what happened to “fuel contents-selection-booster pump” as part of pre take off checks? Flying our aircraft, not often, in remote locations, a good pre flight check is pretty much essential.

Absolutely agree, my take is if fuel quantity not verified what else is not D.I'ed before flights.  Fuel quantity not sufficient for the flight etc is a situation of responsibility of the Pilot. 

• Agree 2

Legally, By itself a gauge indication alone is not acceptable  to determine fuel quantity.  It's got to be backed up by other ways  like fuel used totals and on load invoices and signatures or full fuel situations. or empty plus verified on load figures or a reliable dip system ..

Unsecured overnight is a RISK that requires another check be done.  Even the best engines won't run on air. Nev

Edited by facthunter
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Garfly said:

Yep, recreational flying is the new lawn-bowls (though not quite as dangerous, by all reports).

😂😂 yeah, those flat shoes allow for some high kicks…during discussions about measuring distances, what relates is, looking at some rec’ aircraft, you need a pair as big as bowling balls to fly them!