Just received "Australia Sport Pilot" 100th Issue in the mail...

SGM

To be honest, I think it's a very impressive edition.  I was concerned for a while (after Mark's untimely departure) that it may disappear altogether... but it's back, and I think he would be proud.

Anyone else have thoughts?

• Informative 1

Surprisingly I have mine. Australia Post has improved amazingly.

I did a quick scan and read "In The Hangar".

I am left wondering if the author knows what he is doing and also if it was proof read.

I can only assume that the author doesn't realize the difference between EGT and CHT, but even in he was muddled the numbers quoted look wrong. Did he even have a CHT gauge?

I reckon that if a magazine such as this is going to publish something it should at least demonstrate that the author knows more than just the barest basics.

I don't know what RAAus teaches about EGT and CHT, but would expect that pilots should have at least a bare knowledge of what happens.

Maybe it is just good that someone wrote something for inclusion and the editor grabbed it to fill up space.

I’m glad I wasn’t the only one who found his attitude judgemental and that there was more than a sizeable chip on that shoulder. 

My experience has been the opposite in that most times people are fascinated by why we fly little planes and what you get up to. I used to travel all over the place for my work talking to all sorts of people in very senior roles and generally found most have some interest that once you get them talking levels the conversation.

You’d also be surprised how many of those types also like aviation, and get the same gleam in the eye when you start talking causing all other sane people to leave the table immediately 😉 

I also thought the article on doing the vfr coastal in Melbourne was perhaps edited too much or could have had a couple of pages extra as it started well but just ended, I actually checked to see that there wasn’t a couple of pages stuck together.

Overall it was ok, but tbh I did skip a lot of the sections, particularly those perpetual topics such as weight increases, although it was interesting to see the old articles about 600kg being approved. It would be fun to see the dates on some of the forum posts about 700kg and if they started the day after.

it's Australia Post. I sent something express post from Brisbane to Sydney and it took 16 days. Even though I could track it all the way and putting official complaint they said that the only thing they would do to compensate is a free express post mailbag and they wanted me to provide a receipt saying that I purchased the mailbag and from what post office, I told them that was stupid and they needed to get a life. Then they told me they would look into it and I have to provide proof of posting ?   I politely told them that it was put into the express post mailbox and it was entered into THEIR tracking system. In the end I just gave up. If they get 10,000 of these every day who just give up that is a lot of money they don't have to pay out at $16 a mailbag

• Agree 1

I have it from an insider to not bother with Express Post right now as it’s not being handled any differently.  If you have to post. Use normal post as it won’t get there any quicker. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I like that the magazine is still with us but as I am a builder there's not much in it for me. Tech articals are what I crave and totally sick of the safety rant. It must cost a fortune to print on the heavy weight paper, could it not be done like the American Kitplanes mag, smaller in physical size(not so much white space around photo's and text blocks) and printed on lightweight paper. It doesn't have to look like a Vogue mag does it?

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

On 04/09/2021 at 8:01 PM, BirdDog said:

I have it from an insider to not bother with Express Post right now as it’s not being handled any differently.  If you have to post. Use normal post as it won’t get there any quicker. 

Bird Dog,

I ordered a part from Aircraft Spruce (USA) last Thursday arvo and it was delivered to my house by courier on Tuesday at 1200. That’s 2.5 working days or 4.5 calendar days. DHL I think, all the way.

Glad the Australia Post CEO got the chop.

Ken

6 minutes ago, Kenlsa said:

Bird Dog,

I ordered a part from Aircraft Spruce (USA) last Thursday arvo and it was delivered to my house by courier on Tuesday at 1200. That’s 2.5 working days or 4.5 calendar days. DHL I think, all the way.

Glad the Australia Post CEO got the chop.

Ken

The reason Australia Post CEO got the chop has nothing to do with the speed of parcels. She was actually trying to do a good thing for rural Australians in small towns. All political BS.

• Agree 3
  • Winner 1

I don't know why but I got my Sportpilot almost 2 weeks ago. While there has not been a lot of flying and no real flyins or events to cover due largely to Covid, I found little to interest me. 16 pages are given to regurgitating snippets from old editions, there are no technical articles, a flight test article that said virtually nothing about the aircraft that is not on the manufacturers website, the obligatory boring notes from the RA-Aus hierachy, a travelogue with nothing about flying there & a few other things that are not that interesting.

I found the "Whats it like to fly" article quite odd but I did not take offence from it. I've been to dinners where there are overbearing and arrogant people in senior roles who get pissed and think they own the place. I'd have made an excuse and beat a hasty retreat to the dunny if confronted.

1 hour ago, Thruster88 said:

The reason Australia Post CEO got the chop has nothing to do with the speed of parcels. She was actually trying to do a good thing for rural Australians in small towns. All political BS.

I do understand this, and I also live in the country. But that doesn’t let her off the hook for slow delivery.

Ken

Christine Holgate was stood down in October last year due to bullying by Scotty from marketing. She oversaw some excellent improvement in Australia Post and was a champion of the small rural Post Office owners, many of whom were struggling until she did the deal with the banks which also benefitted locals in remote areas. I don't see how you can blame someone who has been out of the job for 11 months for current slow delivery.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

16 hours ago, kgwilson said:

I don't see how you can blame someone who has been out of the job for 11 months for current slow delivery.

It's normal, people still blame John Anderson for the state of Aviation in Australia.

The article "Going Balistic" page 65 contains a few factual errors. "Suddenly lost oil pressure" should have read, approximately three hours after the low oil pressure light illuminated and the oil pressure gauge showed a slow but steady reduction in oil pressure the engine failed.  The ATSB report makes for interesting and educational reading. Confirmation bias 101.

https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2015/aair/ao-2015-114/

• Like 1
  • Informative 2