RAA 2021 Election

FlyingVizsla

When you actually make something OR Repair it you get satisfaction that those who just buy something will never know. I was taught to make chains  using a forge , anvil and hammer to weld the links, Sand was the flux..  Nev

• Like 2
  • Winner 1

I tried giving my 20 to 30-year-old sons a street directory and told them this is how we used to get to where we were going. They were absolutely flabbergasted why we were allowed to drive, hold a street directory, a Coke and a cigarette all at the same time.

They just couldn't work it out, What happens when you get to the end of the map and why doesn't the next page just line up with the page you are on.

One of my ancestors invented the escapement mechanism which allowed clocks to be reduced from the size of a room to t a table top size, and a watch.

He was clockmaker to the Kings of England, France and Spain.

Wouldn't be any work for him now.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1

• 2 weeks later...

The day before the election I tried to contact the 3 contacts on the RAA page  to speak with them……to get a feel WHO I should vote for. NO contact info for one, the second went to msg bank with no return call, the third did not answer phone, rang out.

Hence, I could not be bothered voting…..I ran out of f’s…… to give 😞 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

So what happened in the election? I tried to look up the result but failed.

Just went to RAAus for a look, the election ended two weeks ago and vero voting promise instant results so not sure why the delay.

Also had a look at accident and incident where it was business as usual for fly wheel bolts and other minor inconveniences. 😥 

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Election results are out - Simon and Luke got up.  Rod Birrell fell short by a few votes to Luke.  Simon got the clear majority.  More voted in the new on-line system than the old Reply-Paid mail in.  There were no Informal votes - probably because you had to provide a valid membership and you were unable to vote after the closing date.  Look forward to seeing what Simon can contribute.  This is Luke's last term.

• Like 2

I hope I wasn't too much of an influence!  

There were 1,226 voters who cast 2,138 votes (you could vote for two candidates), which means 314 members voted for only one candidate.

Rod Birrell failed by only 15 votes (about 1.2%)

While I can't get into the mind of the voting members, it sometimes happens that the mediocre one gets up, simply because the other candidates elicit strong feelings eg "Wouldn't vote for him in a fit", and "He's my top pick" then people have to choose the other candidate(s) ... someone who doesn't rock the boat and isn't notorious one way or the other.  I have seen it time and again in Council elections where a guy who contributes nothing, says nothing in Council, somehow gets the most votes.  Not saying this is the case, but maybe The Devil You Don't Know may be at play, or Simon has garnered a larger support base this year.  Hopefully he will contribute.  The whole Board will be retiring over the next few years as the Constitution limits their Terms.  We need new people in earlier rather than later, for continuity.  It is a job, that done properly, will consume much of your time and energy.