Can hobby pilots takeoff from Home in US or Canada?

RonKTom

If I were to take a small acreage and decide to fly of a paved path, would I need additional air strip permissions from civil aviation? and the planes intending to fly out would be microlight or LS planes.

Thanking you

Welcome RonKTom - As this forum is based in Australia, I'd suggest the best advice to you is to contact COPA. The COPA Guide to Private Aerodromes is in the first link below.

This is only a general guide, you really need to consult with your local Govt authority, which I presume would be your municipal Govt., which would usually set the rules and regulations and conditions for private airstrips.

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/43816024/copa-guide-to-private-aerodromes-canadian-owners-and-pilots-

https://copanational.org/en/aviation-guides/

• Like 1

There is no law that prohibits an aircraft flying off and landing on private land, so the simple answer is yes you can operate your aircraft but common sense applies.... such as noise abatement, no beat ups, minimal circuits etc.   I think this applies to any country, it does here in the UK...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, lee-wave said:

There is no law that prohibits an aircraft flying off and landing on private land, so the simple answer is yes you can operate your aircraft but common sense applies.... such as noise abatement, no beat ups, minimal circuits etc.   I think this applies to any country, it does here in the UK...

No, each Country varies.

It also depends if your land is within or too close to controlled airpace (e.g. near big airport).. I would be contacting FAA and your council/municipality/county, then make a good relationship with your neighbours..

Also find the flight school(s) close to your property and discuss. Sure they would like to know if there is another air strip close by to land in case of emergency.

Cheers

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

There are hundreds of rural airstrips here in Northern California. If you are flying ultralight aircraft, no permission is needed. If bigger, you need permission to build from the county building department.the State and Federal government don't need to be consulted for private airstrips not open to the public.

• Like 1